PDA

View Full Version : 3 Trees in process. Shefflera, olive and Juniper

Showa-Man
08-17-2007, 04:51 PM
Hi all,

Here are 3 trees that I have been working on for several years. Feel free to comment.

Gary

dick benbow
08-17-2007, 09:03 PM
just want to say thanks for posting. Everytime I sign on this chatboard i always look here first and nothings' ever happening.....so was nice to see the bonsai topic "lit up ".

Love the olive, next repotting see if you can find a nice grey pot or antiquish white to compliment the bark. I have a japanese beech that was really set off with an antique grey off color pot. It's glazed with drips hanging over the edge of the bottom. The last coupla years I've really gotten into finding the right pot for the subject in the season it shows it off best. With the beech it's winter with all the leaves hanging on in brown. A friend gave me a gingo and it'll need repotting next spring. I'm going to look for a yellowish gold pot cause to me they look their best in the fall when the leaves turn that yellow gold. Also in the spring they are a yellowish green so should be nice. Thanks again for posting! :)

Showa-Man
08-17-2007, 09:18 PM
just want to say thanks for posting. Everytime I sign on this chatboard i always look here first and nothings' ever happening.....so was nice to see the bonsai topic "lit up ".

Love the olive, next repotting see if you can find a nice grey pot or antiquish white to compliment the bark. I have a japanese beech that was really set off with an antique grey off color pot. It's glazed with drips hanging over the edge of the bottom. The last coupla years I've really gotten into finding the right pot for the subject in the season it shows it off best. With the beech it's winter with all the leaves hanging on in brown. A friend gave me a gingo and it'll need repotting next spring. I'm going to look for a yellowish gold pot cause to me they look their best in the fall when the leaves turn that yellow gold. Also in the spring they are a yellowish green so should be nice. Thanks again for posting! :)

Hi Dick,

You are right, these trees need to be repotted badly. They have been in the training pots for several years now. I have several more that need to be moved to a new pot also. Great input.

Thanks,

Gary

Robert
08-17-2007, 10:40 PM

:yes:

Hi Gary,

nice trees, is that juniper a procumbens Nana? if so I'm surprised that it's doing so good in San Diego. Was under the impression they like to have a cold nap during winter but not sure. Do they use them as landscape plants out there?

If I may make a suggestion, try pinching the pads back to get them flatter looking and wire the branch stems a little more downward and out, and put some movement in them to bring the branch pads in closer to the trunk. It's looking good.

Robert

Showa-Man
08-17-2007, 11:38 PM
:yes:

Hi Gary,

nice trees, is that juniper a procumbens Nana? if so I'm surprised that it's doing so good in San Diego. Was under the impression they like to have a cold nap during winter but not sure. Do they use them as landscape plants out there?

If I may make a suggestion, try pinching the pads back to get them flatter looking and wire the branch stems a little more downward and out, and put some movement in them to bring the branch pads in closer to the trunk. It's looking good.

Robert

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the feedback. I will take your advice. Yes it is a procumbens nana. They do quite well here in San Diego and are a common garden plant. I bought this one at a nursery about 8 years ago, almost bare. It was in the emergency section and I bought it for $2.00. I put it in this training pot with a mix of cactus mix, compost, some good quality garden soil, a little bone meal and blood meal. It sprang back pretty quickly. I am going to pot it in a proper bonsai pot next Spring. Robert, if you get the chance look at the euphorbia cotinifolia that I posted. I have been growing this tree in the groud for several years. I will dig it up and put it in a training pot next spring. The photos dont do this tree justice, the leaves look a bit big.

Thanks,

Gary

Robert
08-17-2007, 11:57 PM
Hi Robert,

Thanks for the feedback. I will take your advice. Yes it is a procumbens nana. They do quite well here in San Diego and are a common garden plant. I bought this one at a nursery about 8 years ago, almost bare. It was in the emergency section and I bought it for $2.00. I put it in this training pot with a mix of cactus mix, compost, some good quality garden soil, a little bone meal and blood meal. It sprang back pretty quickly. I am going to pot it in a proper bonsai pot next Spring. Robert, if you get the chance look at the euphorbia cotinifolia that I posted. I have been growing this tree in the groud for several years. I will dig it up and put it in a training pot next spring. The photos dont do this tree justice, the leaves look a bit big.

Thanks,

Gary

Took a look, that's got a great leaf color and shape. Be interesting to see what the trunks/nebar looks like when ya dig it up. Keep us posted on it.

Robert