PDA

View Full Version : He was a she and She spawned!

ukeekoi
08-15-2007, 01:26 AM
July 1, 2007. I had a friend visiting. He was the one who gave me my first koi that got me started in this new and wonderful hobby. He convinced me that my pond look barren and boring because all I had was koi in the pond. The only plants were in the veggie filter that flowed water back in the pond.

So later that afternoon, I am thigh deep in the shallow end of my pond and putting lilies and irises from my bog garden on shelves made of concrete blocks. I also threw in some water hyacinths from my front water garden.

By the evening the fish were chasing each other around. One particular fish a Kohaku was constantly being pushed sideways and occasionally out of the water by an Oranji Ogon. I always thought that the kohaku was a male but now I was thinking I was wrong.

The next morning, they were still chasing each other and splashing about amongst the hyacinths. Lots of foam on the water, a funky smell and the other koi congregating around the floating plants and nibbling.

When things slowed down, I gathered up what was left of the hyacinths and put them in the veggie filter. The veggie filter is the same water level as the pond and is separated only by a rock border to keep the fish out so they are not trapped in the shallows by a racoon. The water flow was slow so I figured it would be a good spot to hatch the eggs. A few days later I found a 6" koi in the bog munching away at the hyacinths. So much for my fry.

A week later, I saw my first fry. A stick with eyes. I was so excited that was all I could talk about for days. A few days later I saw another one. Then another. I figured I had 3 maybe 4.

A month later, I counted 14 in the main pond. I did not think they would survive out there with the larger fish but they seemed to be left alone.

I eventually caught them all when I had to drain the pond due to an incredibly high PH (I was told due to my concrete blocks) and dirty water (all my plants were knocked over in the pond and soil spread everywhere).

All but one fry survived the transition to the aquarium in the house. I brought in a hyacinth as well so there would be some algae for the little guys to munch on. I am also feeding crushed flakes soaked in water so they sink right away. I was worried the first few days because they ignored the flake food and continued to much on the algae on the hyacinth. I am doing daily suction of the debris on the bottom of the 10 gal tank and topping off with water. There is no filter and man after a few days, the water really stinks so I decided to put in a small filter. The current does not seem to bother them. 2 weeks after being inside, I am now just sprinkling crushed flake food on top of the water and they are coming to the surface to feed.

Here are picks of mom and dad. Dad is the Oranji Ogon with white fins (upper left) and mom is the Kohaku on the lower right. I am also attaching a picture of mom a year earlier that shows faded colors that this year is deepening. Perhaps that is in store for her little ones? The pics of the fry are from Aug13. I can start to see yellow/orange shading in spots. The largest are about 1.25 inches and the small ones at 1.0 inches

6 weeks into my first spawning experience and I am still excited about it.

Lari
08-15-2007, 07:12 AM
They look like chubby little fry. Congrats!

steveamy
08-15-2007, 07:38 AM
They do look like they have been eating well!

ukeekoi
08-15-2007, 11:22 AM
That leads to my question. Am I feeding too much? I feed 3 times a day. Morning, Dinner and Bed Time. I am using crushed flakes as they didn't seem to go for the crushed pellets. I did notice that when I miss a feeding, their little bodies seem to go back to a more streamed lined shape.

Shorty
08-16-2007, 12:18 AM
That leads to my question. Am I feeding too much? I feed 3 times a day. Morning, Dinner and Bed Time. I am using crushed flakes as they didn't seem to go for the crushed pellets. I did notice that when I miss a feeding, their little bodies seem to go back to a more streamed lined shape.

During a koi rescue, we scooped some starving 1.25" fry from a golf course pond being drained. Some of them were so skinny that you could see the ridges of bones in their rib cage (or whatever their equivalent is). Those were some skinny fry.

Shorty

Noahsnana
08-16-2007, 12:46 AM

Just make sure with heavy feed you do water changes for water quality. Cute babies. I find mine like the frozen blood worms I picked up in Petsmart. When I hold it in the water it begins to melt and the babies go crazy eating the worms.

ukeekoi
08-16-2007, 07:07 PM
I am currently doing a daily 1 gallon water change when I vacuum the crud from the bottom of the 10 gallon aquarium. I also have a small filter with carbon running. This has kept my water clearer plus gives the fry some exercise as it creates a small current that they have to fight to get at the food. It sure hasn't slowed the eating down though. They are still eating quite well. Once they get to 3 inches in size, I will move them to the 75 gallon aquarium and move them outside for spring. I will post pics to track their progress. There has definately been more colour coming up over the past week.

Does the yellow/orange spots on their heads mean I have some tanchos in the bunch?

ukeekoi
08-17-2007, 12:37 AM
I was looking over last weeks photos and was playing around with colour levels and look what I found. I had noticed them before but they really pop out when I adjust the settings.

I can't wait to see how they develope as they age.

premster
10-10-2007, 03:42 PM
Is it my eyes or do they look lemons ? not kohaku.

Ethan25
10-10-2007, 04:47 PM
is the aquarium inside or out? Could be lack of natural sunlight that is giving them a lighter color....