PDA

View Full Version : Females... Do they

Noahsnana
08-02-2007, 09:22 AM
constantly produce eggs? I am on my 5th known spawn this year.

Dillon
08-02-2007, 01:20 PM
5!? Have you ever considered a career as a breeder? lol ;)

Noahsnana
08-02-2007, 05:28 PM
Not with my muts

Funbug
08-03-2007, 07:22 PM
I assume that we're talking about koi here and not goldfish? My female goldfish spawn non-stop but my female koi only seemed to spawn once or twice per year each. Are the same females spawning more than once or twice per year or do you just have a lot of females?

Noahsnana
08-03-2007, 07:42 PM
I have five female koi that I know for sure... and yes all have been involved in the spawns

PapaBear
08-05-2007, 08:36 AM
We had one of our females spawn twice this year, one month apart. The 2nd spawn was much smaller as she had laid most of the eggs the first time, but apparently exhaustion and hormone laden water shut down the first spawn before she was finished.
Generally speaking they only produce eggs once, beginning in the fall, grow them from body fat stores over the winter, and carry them for as long as it takes to hit the right water conditions.
Another thing we've noticed. Females who aren't ready yet will get involved in another females spawn by driving her along with the males. Apparently they get caught up in the rush of hormones in the water and can't resist getting in on the action. I would guess your 5 females have spawned separately, but all helped with the drive.

Noahsnana
08-05-2007, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the explanation... I now have all different sized fry now

waterlilli
08-15-2007, 06:49 PM
which one is female and male? i cant figure this out i did find out how they mate but still confused on how to find out if they are pregnut or anything im so going crazy with this lol :rolleyes: im talking about gold and koi

wilma:))

pskorf
08-15-2007, 06:58 PM
don't go crazy i still do not know on alot of my koi.they are alive so that is the best for me.

waterlilli
08-15-2007, 07:12 PM
how are you we got the uv light in so far so good its nice and clear fish seem real happy im trying to learn how to know if there mating,, not sure looks like it there chasing this one koi and i cant wait to find out if it has puppies heheheh
ok have agreat night thanks for everything

Wilma;)