PDA

View Full Version : Who's my DADDY! Parents and Fry

NaturesCall
07-30-2007, 12:35 AM
Last month we had an uncontrolled spawn. In an effort for the momma to not get too harmed we placed some spawning ropes in the main pond. When they were done, I placed the ropes in Lin's water garden. She wasn't too pleased at the time...but now hatched and growing she's enjoying watching them go thru changes.

Here's some pictures of the parents and some of the fry. We plan to give most of these to club members who lost all of their koi after we cull them.

We didn't do anything special to raise them...just tossed the ropes in the pond for 5 days...removed them and let them live off of the bottom. We only started feeding them 2 weeks ago. It's amazing the differences in size.

First meet some of the Parents... :)

NaturesCall
07-30-2007, 12:37 AM
We noticed quite a few have round dots on their heads. Is this normal?

PapaBear
07-30-2007, 08:01 AM
Your fry look pretty much like ours. Dutch Mix;) which is the most common result of a good ol' flock spawn. Picking the father based on the individual offspring is a complete crapshoot as there are always going to be a lot of babies with recessive traits, so your challenge will be to figure out what is good enough to grow on and what isn't. They're a pretty good looking bunch all in all and your club members should be very happy with their gifts:D:
Many fry have a thin enough skull cap early on to allow you to see though the brain pan, which gives the dark spot on the heads an exaggerated appearance. It's normal and the skull will thicken over time.

cindy
07-30-2007, 09:22 AM
wow more like who all is the daddies?

Neat pics!

NaturesCall
07-30-2007, 10:20 AM
I didn't know that about the skull cap being thinner. Makes sense...although i thought it would be cool if they had toncho dots. :).

Cindy, it's interesting to see all the colors. It makes me wonder if during an orge some males could be more dominant than others.

BekkoIsTheBest
07-30-2007, 11:14 AM
I see a few that look really nice! I can't wait till my fish spawn some day...

PapaBear
07-31-2007, 10:05 AM
I didn't know that about the skull cap being thinner. Makes sense...although i thought it would be cool if they had toncho dots. :).

Cindy, it's interesting to see all the colors. It makes me wonder if during an orge some males could be more dominant than others.

It is still a possibility. Black Tancho's do happen from time to time. Just look for the individuals with thick black rather than dark shadows. I have a couple with dark black and beni forming together in the tancho spot... It will be interesting to see if I get lucky;)

yuhtoto
08-18-2007, 09:42 AM
i like the your photos of the babies..so they all looks pretty, healthy and colourful..

PapaBear
09-08-2007, 04:14 PM
Got any update photo's to share???

Just Jessie
09-08-2007, 04:58 PM
I like the bright yellow and white one in the middle of the last picture. Don't know what it is (hariwaki???) but I have been looking for one just like it.
Looks like lots of fun. a lot more fun than goldfish.

sirfishmaster
10-16-2007, 09:15 PM
i was curious to know how do you know that fish was the momma? did you see it happening? or is it the only female?

great looking fry there! :clap:

doug

NaturesCall
11-25-2007, 06:27 PM
i was curious to know how do you know that fish was the momma? did you see it happening? or is it the only female?

great looking fry there! :clap:

dougHI Doug,

It was pretty neat really...they were all chasing her, and when she swam over the spawning ropes, you could see her release the eggs. They would then stick to the spawning ropes, and what settled to the bottom, the other koi gobbled up.

NaturesCall
11-25-2007, 06:49 PM
These were taken October 14th when we brought them in for the winter. Most will probably be culled and what remains will be given to members of our Koi club who discover dead fish in the spring.

blondhairboi
11-25-2007, 08:50 PM
The big silver and red one in the fourth picture has a pretty unique look to him...Lookin good:punk1:

mars
03-11-2008, 02:02 PM
Hi, what will you look for when you call the batch??? I know your look for any deformities. but if they look healthy do you go for color?
Last year I had a 30 gal aquarium on the patio (very green water) with 3 butterfly koi about 4" and one slightly larger goldfish. One day I noticed 4 other smaller fish with them. No color just gray they had the butterfly look to them.