PDA

View Full Version : New Oscar beat other one up!

snooklynn0616
07-19-2007, 11:14 AM
He has bites on his tail and fins! Also, I think he was bit on his sides. He is just a little smaller than the new oscar! We moved him into one of those guppy net things in the tank! I have melafix should I treat him with this? I have a little tank 5 gal. I have a few koi babies in, thinking of moving him in there till he heals up, and gets a little bigger! Yes, will take babies out first! He's about 1 1/2 inches the new one is only slightly larger! Any thoughts gang? Sorry never had Oscars before so still studying about there needs!

IMSALSMOM
07-19-2007, 01:44 PM
How many oscars do you have? I read that you have to have one or three or more because of fighting. I guess 3 or more keeps em' too busy watching each other.

snooklynn0616
07-19-2007, 01:51 PM
How many oscars do you have? I read that you have to have one or three or more because of fighting. I guess 3 or more keeps em' too busy watching each other.
We just have the two, poor little guy, he was king of the tank before this, pushed around all the other fish, one's bigger then him! Named him #3, for my favorite nascar driver, cause of his attitude! He looks so bad, fins are all bit and frayed! I lost it last night and made Gunner move him to the net thing! They are his fish, but I couldn't take it!

DillonWren
07-19-2007, 08:00 PM
How big is your tank this is vary important also Oscares do not have teeth they would probly not beable to inflice deep bitmarks this could vary well be fin rot which is a vary likely please post a pick if you can. Oh! and a list of your other fish.

snooklynn0616
07-20-2007, 12:35 AM
How big is your tank this is vary important also Oscares do not have teeth they would probly not beable to inflice deep bitmarks this could vary well be fin rot which is a vary likely please post a pick if you can. Oh! and a list of your other fish.
It happened in one day, and we witnessed the fighting! Its a 75 gal, we have a few sharks and 2 chiclids! He had no problems with any of them! We have moved him to a small QT tank and started with the melafix to help him heal up! I feel so bad for the little guy! Will try and get pictures tomorrow!

snooklynn0616
07-20-2007, 09:02 AM
Ok figured out what upset the tank inhabitants, will have to start new thread for help with this one!

Headache
07-20-2007, 09:02 AM
As what was said above , having 2 Oscars is not a good idea (fighting , with one winner , one loser) . That size Tank (75gal.) would seem large enough for 2 Oscars of that size , but I guess you got a real mean one .

snooklynn0616
07-20-2007, 09:19 AM
As what was said above , having 2 Oscars is not a good idea (fighting , with one winner , one loser) . That size Tank (75gal.) would seem large enough for 2 Oscars of that size , but I guess you got a real mean one .
I think what upset the balance in the tank was the cichlids, I think they are getting ready to breed or have babies, I started a new thread to get ideas, searching now on line to read up on it! Both Oscars are separated from the other fish, I think the fighting must have started with the cichlids and then when one Oscar got beat up the other one started picking on him! Oscar that was still in the tank last night is now beat up! Sorry all these guys are new to me, Gunner set up not mine, so I am pretty clueless about these kinds of fish, playing major catch up quick!

Funbug
07-27-2007, 03:24 PM
Oscars are something I know about as I have one, named Oscar de la Renta. He’s a veil tail Oscar.

Sorry to tell you but actually 2 Oscars with all those other fish is overstocked for a 75 gallon tank (once the Oscars are full grown anyway.) Oscars are very territorial and in that size tank (if you are looking to the future) 1 Oscar, and no other fish is what’s usually recommended by Oscar experts and they say you cannot have 2 full grown Oscars together in a 75 gallon tank unless they are a mated pair. Unfortunately it’s really difficult to tell the gender of Oscars.

Oscars get very big very fast and they are very messy just like our beloved koi and goldies. The rule of thumb with Oscars is that for 1 Oscar you should have at least a 55 gallon tank and 75 is better. What’s interesting about Oscars is that it’s recommended that you either have 1 oscar or 5-6 oscars. If you want 5-6 it is recommended that they all be purchased as youngsters and grow up together. Even then you still may have aggression issues. Of course if you have 5-6 you need a really huge tank.

Here’s Oscar de la Renta when I first got him, which wasn’t really all that long ago. I got him on March 24th.

http://home.comcast.net/~the-funbugs/images/Oscar_delaRenta.jpg

and here he is now, hard to get a good pic of him and it doesn’t do him justice.

http://home.comcast.net/~the-funbugs/images/oscar-1.jpg

Although I got him because hubby said if we were going to really try and breed wakin that we had to start culling he's become one of my favorite wet pets. I never thought I would like him as much as I do. He’s a very cool fish!

Good luck with yours. I hope they will learn to get along but it’s tough and it’s not unusual for Oscars to kill each other or other fish. I tried to put a pleco in with mine and the next day the pleco had chunks of his sail & fins missing. Pleco moved out and Oscars been on his own ever since which seems to suit him just fine.

snooklynn0616
07-27-2007, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the info! The one is healing up in QT! We think now it was the cichlids did most of the damage! When they get bigger they can have a tank to themselves!

Funbug
07-27-2007, 04:57 PM
Yes all cichlids are known for aggression. Hope the fishy heals up perfect for you. I used to hate tropical fish and swore I would never have them again. Partly because they always seemed to have trouble getting along and because I thought that they really didn't have personalities like goldies and koi do but since getting Oscar de la Renta I found out I was wrong! I never had an Oscar before I got this one and they actually have a lot of personality! I'll tell you one thing. The more I learn the more I discover that I don't know squat!