PDA

View Full Version : Newbie, and considering a mudpond.

MoKoi
07-12-2007, 05:07 PM
Howdy all. Been researching Koi ponds for only a few days, and have glady stumbled across this valuable resource. Been looking through topics here for the last couple days, and must say: Thank you!!

My Koi pond consideration came about as more of an afterthought while planning a project to expand my outdoor area.
I have about 4.5acres here in the middle of the woods (30mi. to the grocery store), but most of it is on the side of a rather steep hill, and being wheelchair bound, my outdoor area is rather limited.

Since there's a rather steep hill directly in front of the house: the original plan was to just put a gazebo up on pillars, level with the porch and connect them via a 10ft bridge. Of course, like most projects, the scope of this one gets more grand everyday.:eek1:
So, I drew up some simple plans for a small (maybe 10k gal.) Koi pond that the gazebo would sit in the middle of, but this could easily be made 100k..or more gal. mudpond.

Here's the quickie original plan I made up in ms paint, just to give the fam and those involved an idea of what I had in mind. While looking around here though I've came up with some good ideas on how to enlarge the pond, while expanding my outdoor area even more.

http://www.stevescutlery.com/pichost/pondplan.JPG

NOWWW I'm thinking about having the berm come to the far right hand side and level with the porch, and wide enough for easy access. This would then curve around and up behind the house. Thus creating a fairly large pond, which my youngest daughter has now lovingly dubbed "the lake".

Though ffter reading here about filters, water exchange rates, uv lights, etc., this may end up being more a farm pond, with Bass, Cat fish, etc.:D:

Even if, possibly not ending up a Koi pond, I'll try to get some before and progress photos to post.

Edited to add the updated plan. Being a newb, comments and suggestions are welcome.

http://www.stevescutlery.com/pichost/pondplan2.JPG

Steve

IMSALSMOM
07-12-2007, 05:46 PM
:Hi ya!: WELCOME, ASK AND MANY WILL ANSWER.

kpung019
07-12-2007, 11:48 PM
I would start up a thread on the main page, you will get more answers to questions. And if you're going to get into the koi hobbie, read a bunch more on this site, and take your time. You may find out your plans will completely change again.