PDA

View Full Version : Trees Burning

birdman
07-11-2007, 06:01 PM
The sun is really taking a toll on my maple and spruce. I have put a cover over them to provide shade and am installing a drip irrigation system for them. My question. The drip emitters come in 1/2 and 1 gal per hour sizes. Which ones should I use?
Thanks,

jonathan
07-11-2007, 06:06 PM
with your heat i would use the one but i am not an expert

Aussies5
07-11-2007, 08:42 PM
Steve, sorry about your trees, hopefully now that you have covered them they will be OK.

How hot does it get at your place? Somehow when I think of Oregon, I think of the beautiful coast lines but obviously that is now where you are.

Barbara

birdman
07-12-2007, 06:19 AM
Steve, sorry about your trees, hopefully now that you have covered them they will be OK.

How hot does it get at your place? Somehow when I think of Oregon, I think of the beautiful coast lines but obviously that is now where you are.

Barbara
We're in the middle of the state Barb. Just north of Bend and Redmond. It's a high desert , about 3000 feet. Mostly sage brush and junipers where I live. 300 days of dry sun a year. Beautiful. Normally it stays in the mid 80s with a cool westerly breeze blowing down off the cascade mts. in the afternoon. This year it's all messed up. This year were getting hot easterly winds so out temps have been running mid 90s.

Swimming Jewel
07-12-2007, 07:40 AM
A lot of the heat is radiant heat being created by the rocks. (heat radiating off the rocks) If there is any way to create beds of plants around the trees, you would see a drastic reduction in the heat stress.
The rocks also heat up the soil, and when the soil is hot, the roots bake too, and can not absorb water when heat stressed.

Pondly...Joyce (professional landscape designer)

birdman
07-12-2007, 07:47 AM
A lot of the heat is radiant heat being created by the rocks. (heat radiating off the rocks) If there is any way to create beds of plants around the trees, you would see a drastic reduction in the heat stress.
The rocks also heat up the soil, and when the soil is hot, the roots bake too, and can not absorb water when heat stressed.

Pondly...Joyce (professional landscape designer)

I am hoping the shade I just put up will help keep the rocks from heating up. I have put a 1/2 gallon per houer dripper on each tree. Does this sound right?

Swimming Jewel
07-12-2007, 08:25 AM
Yes, that will help, as long as the ground is not too hot, the roots can absorb the water. When the ground gets too hot, the roots get stressed/damaged/cooked and can not absorb the water, no matter how much you water.
A lot like water in a pond, which can not hold much oxygen when it gets hot, roots can not absorb water when the ground heats up. Many plants will get such bad root damage due to heated soil that they will not recover.:no:

I think you covered yours just in time.:yes:

Cowiche Ponder
07-12-2007, 12:12 PM
all my jap maples are in pots. So far seem to be doing well, but not on open rocky ground.

Hope yours do ok for you Steve..

9am and 80 degrees out...ridiculous...

vipldy
07-12-2007, 12:29 PM
My tips are doing the same thing..They do every year:rolleyes:

Marie

birdman
07-12-2007, 01:39 PM
9am and 80 degrees out...ridiculous...
That's for sure. Gonna go plop ma buy in the pond. Now I know what I built those steps for.

madeyna
07-13-2007, 01:52 PM
Your hard scaping is beatiful. Do you have skimmer for all the leaves that are going to fall into the pond? I am still working on geting the dh to build me one

birdman
07-14-2007, 07:50 AM
Your hard scaping is beatiful. Do you have skimmer for all the leaves that are going to fall into the pond? I am still working on geting the dh to build me one
ep, sure do. Right under the maple.