PDA

View Full Version : Brine Shrimp Help!

SOBA
06-23-2007, 12:11 PM
Okay-- I have a system that is working for hatching the brine shrimp- but I have read that you must siphon the shrimp, to seperate them from the salt water and remaining eggs. This is where I have trouble. I am siphoning into a coffee filter- but it seems Im getting a lot of eggs still... In these pics, is ALL the red color stuff eggs, or are some of the brine shrimp orange also? I also read that you cant get any eggs in with the fry because they cannot digest them and will die if they eat them- but I cant seem to separate them any better! Anybody have experience with this??!! Also-- what else can I feed one week old, 3/8" fry besides egg yolk and brine shrimp? Help Please! Please?

PapaBear
06-23-2007, 02:17 PM
You can pulverize high protein food with high spirulina content (add spirulina disks if you want to, we did) in a blender to a fine powder. You can either release the powder directly onto the surface and among the plant roots or make a thin mush with it and place on a saucer submerged in their tank.
You can also get some earthworms and mash them to a pulp (literally to mush) and mix the powder with that. They'll go to town on it.
I'd offer help with separating the eggs from the shrimp, but it was always a pain in the butt for me too...

Hadeda
06-23-2007, 02:32 PM
You could also try growing Daphnia, my fry used to LOVE those little nunus

gta333
06-23-2007, 04:28 PM
I would just siphon them from your hatching jar into another jar. I wouldnt worry about filtering them. just make sure you have a bright lite on your jar and they all should go to the bottom where you siphon them.Just make sure you stop siphoning them when you get close to the bottom. The amount of salt you are trying to eliminate is not worth the hassle or time. We run over 120 tanks of tropical fish and we never had had a problem. hope this helps. gary GOLDEN TREASURE AQUATICS TRUE IFGA SHOW GUPPYS OMAHA NEBRASKA.

Jeff Speck
06-23-2007, 08:03 PM
Using one of the large 60ml syringes allows you to siphon slowly in a specific area. The mouth on these is approximately the size of air tubing.

Leekinneykoi
06-23-2007, 08:42 PM
Using one of the large 60ml syringes allows you to siphon slowly in a specific area. The mouth on these is approximately the size of air tubing.
That or a turkey baster.:yes:
Turn the air off, the eggs should float, and light as said will make them go to the bottom, a tiny siphon for small tanks at pet stores works or a turkey baster. I can see the shrimp so do not think it hard to get most of them and avoid egg shells.
I also never filtered them or removed the salt, it is a minute amount when feeding in even a ten gallon tank of fresh water. Hope that helps.

SOBA
06-23-2007, 09:34 PM
Thanks! I didnt think the salt was an issue- but wanted a second opinion...

So- when I see the lil shrimp through the hatching bottle- they look white- or clear. but when I siphon- I see a lot of orange. is this the shrimp or just shells?

Jeff Speck
06-24-2007, 10:58 AM
The orange is the shrimp.

Jeannie
06-24-2007, 12:28 PM
I run brine shrimp constantly for my angelfish fry. I use the large pop bottles, turned upside down with the bottoms cut off. I use 4 c. warm water, the eggs hatch best at around 80 degrees. I put 2 rounded teaspoons of plain or pickling/canning salt into the warm water, disolve the salt, add the little scoup of br. sh. eggs and add the air stone. I turn a lower wattage light on them, they hatch by the next day. I take out the air stone, remove the light, let them settle to the bottom of the container. I then use a turkey baster to suck out the bbs in the bottom of the bottle. The bbs are bright pink. I slowly release the bbs into a brine shrimp net (cheap at any pet store) and I have mostly all shrimp. I do not drain either.....they go right into my tanks.
This sounds like alot of work & time.....it isn't when you've done it a few times. Jeannie