PDA

View Full Version : Building a Grow out pond for fry?

snooklynn0616
06-16-2007, 08:39 AM
I am converting an old hot tub into a grow out pond for the fry any suggestion? Hiding it out back since I am going to let it go green and let the bugs lay their eggs to feed the fry! My question is should I put any air and filtration in! My old one was about half this size and just used to do a partial water change every week from the big ponds! Not sure what I should do with this one????? It going to be about 600 gallons! Help trying to get it done this week before I have surgery and no lifting for 6 to 8 weeks!:confused:

Shorty
06-16-2007, 04:10 PM
I recently converted a hot tub / spa into a pond, using it as a temp tank to hold koi while I rip out and build bigger pond.

I have 2 of 25" koi, and temporarily kept 2 others in there for a couple weeks and they spawned. (got rid of the 2 extras, just have the 2 of 25" in there now) My ammonia went thru the roof, then the nitrites and nitrates did too but settling down now- heard that is normal effect of spawning. Have a 30 gallon barrel with bioballs as a filter, using 500 gph pump to push the water thru it, and used some algae water and rocks from the other pond to help seed it so think we are out of the woods now and back under control. For aeration, I have a 2nd 500 gph pump going thru a 24" spray bar. That bar has 2 rows of 1/8" holes every 1/2". I have a continuous trickle of water going in and auto draining, that seems to help to, the trickle is about 20-40 gallons a day, and the tub being a 7' octagon at 24" high is about 400 gallons.

Shorty

snooklynn0616
06-18-2007, 09:47 AM
I put an extra piece of liner in and am just going to put a small filter. I will probably put a spray bar for the return. Any suggestion on what to put around the pump to stop any babies from getting sucked in?

goldie789
06-18-2007, 08:06 PM
lynn i got on line a filter bag that keeps things from going into the filter. as my snails aways got sucked in.. it would help the frys from going in..do a google search for pump cover. i will check and see where i got mine it was a few years ago. hope this helps.... janet http://www.123ponds.com/pfps10.html i found one here its called a pump sock

Shorty
06-19-2007, 05:37 PM
An idea might be to wrap mosquito netting fabric around a 4" PVC pipe -- and have lots of holes or slots thru the pipe, and make it a really big piece of pipe.

Another idea might be that instead of filtering the water in the tub, just pump water from your pond into the tub, then have a return that goes back to your pond so your pond filter system does all the work.

Any pictures of the pond / old fry tank / new hot tub conversion?

Shorty

snooklynn0616
06-20-2007, 09:15 AM
Shorty I like that idea! Will try and get Gunner to hook something like that up tonight! Will get a pic today! It is pretty ugly all the sides have been ripped off the hot tub! My spa guy strips them to get any parts he can reuse! But free and he likes me so he delivers them to me a no cost to! Makes a quick preform and this one is about 600 to 700 gallons! We will use some extra boards we have from another tub and finish the sides off!

Shorty
06-20-2007, 11:03 AM
Here is what my hot tub looks like. My daughters are dying for me to get the fish out so they can use it for original purpose, as a hot tub.

Shorty

snooklynn0616
06-20-2007, 11:35 AM
Kwel! You will have to get with my hubby on what you are using for filters! Gunner works in bio-med at the local hospital he fixes all the high tech equipment so he loves to build things and diy projects. Goes right over my head most times!

snooklynn0616
06-20-2007, 02:13 PM
Here is the pics of the grow out pond so far! Told you it was really attractive so far!:no:

snooklynn0616
06-20-2007, 04:58 PM
ok pics told you it pretty ugly right now but, it works!

Shorty
06-20-2007, 10:52 PM
Looks just right -- it is damaged or rotted away to the point that you can do anything you want, and it will only improve the value of the tub. :)

My filter is super simple, just a pump in the tub that is directed to the bottom of the barrel in the back of the picture. That barrel is filled about 75% with bioballs which happen to float and leave a cavity at the bottom as a settling chamber. Then the return pipe is mounted to the barrel with a shower drain from Home Depot.

There is a small drain and valve on the bottom of the barrel so I can back wash it. I have an extra piece of PVC pipe that goes down there, and hookup the shop vac (blow side) so the air bubbles adjitate the bioballs and help loosen stuff up.

The 2nd barrel in the foreground is part of my constant water changing system. I have a little black 1/4" hose that dribbles water into the barrel, then there is a pump in there that churns the water to get rid of the chlorine, then the water dribbles out the hose that hangs over the tub. Then I have a garden hose you can see in the lower right side of the tub, that has a thru-hull fitting so when the water level gets up to the fitting, the water goes out the garden hose and to where ever I lay the hose in the yard. I have a few dead spots of grass, and now they are coming back.

Here is the real secret though -- you see the PVC frame that holds the plastic chicken wire? See how the 3 big cross bars aren't sagging like the usual DIY PVC frames? I cut a stick of wood that just barely fits inside each of the pipes, and pounded them in with a hammer. The sticks need to be square, if you use a dowel or round stick it won't be as stiff, need the flat sides to the stick.

Also the close side of the frame is a seperate piece so it hinges up. I can open it and feed the koi, lean in, poke at them, mess with the pump etc.

Shorty

mars
06-23-2007, 12:43 AM
Shorty, loved your hot tub & filters. I will be setting up a Patio pond one of these days / months (hahahaha) well some day any way. I will save this thread to get ideas when the time comes. It is just me, I do not have a smart and handy hubby like Lynn.

Marlene

Shorty
06-23-2007, 03:00 AM
Thanks -- Forgot to mention, I fiberglassed over all the holes and the original air pressure line. Heard from another hot tub / spa pond user that they originally didn't cover the holes, and some nasty bacteria grew in the unused cavities and killed some of her fish. So if you can't do the fiberglass work (it is actually really easy), then a liner sounds like a great way to go.

Shorty

mars
06-24-2007, 01:36 AM
Thanks for the information Shorty.

Marlene

snooklynn0616
06-29-2007, 10:15 PM
Babies are doing great, really starting to see some color on them! Going to be fun to see what these pond mutts turn out to look like! My stepson's are doing great in the aquarium we gave him to raise some in! Hard to get a 15 year old boy into much but he is really getting into it now! Going to try and get some pictures of them tommorrow!

Shorty
06-30-2007, 03:02 AM
Looking forward to seeing them!

Shorty