PDA

View Full Version : sarrassa or koi?

MikeST
06-12-2007, 09:38 AM
Still dont know which I have. I have 4 sarrassa in the pond and 8 koi.
But man...these are without a doubt the fastest growing fry I have ever raised!
No color yet.
At 17 days...they are huge compared to any tropicals I have raised.

I pulled out a bunch of hyacynth last night with more eggs...We'll see what happens.

I have no more plants in the pond for them to keep spawning...so I hung some green filter brushes in the pond. Think they'll use that to spawn?
I have to wait at least a week before the new batch hatches before I get the hyacynth back in

MIke

PapaBear
06-13-2007, 08:03 AM
I can't tell you much as you can fit everything I know about Sarrassa's in a thimble with room to spare...

MikeST
06-13-2007, 09:13 AM
Im just amazed at the color your fry are showing already. Mine are 2-1/2 weeks and have no color yet.
Growing fast ...but no markings

PapaBear
06-13-2007, 09:51 AM
I know a lot of it depends on parents, but I think the food makes a huge difference on how quickly color develops. What are you feeding?

FishOCD
06-13-2007, 09:56 AM
I have a boat-load of tiny sarassa fry in the pond (don't think they are koi as koi are small). I have been told that the brown color is one of the ways you can tell they are not koi -- sarassas can take many months to get red and white whereas koi begin to get color while still very small. (Maybe I am wrong)

PapaBear
06-13-2007, 10:57 AM
I have a boat-load of tiny sarassa fry in the pond (don't think they are koi as koi are small). I have been told that the brown color is one of the ways you can tell they are not koi -- sarassas can take many months to get red and white whereas koi begin to get color while still very small. (Maybe I am wrong)

I don't know beans from buttermilk when it comes to Sarassas:no: , but I've noticed a real difference with our Koi Fry this time around on several levels.
#1 Size at birth. Our first spawn was to smallish females (<14") so the eggs were small, as were the fry which remained colorless for several weeks. This years spawn was mostly to a much larger female (>20"), and the fry were much larger AND already had at least some color on day 1. That surprized the heck out of us. (still does)
#2 Feed regime. 1st spawn the fry were kept in a kiddie pool fry pond, seasoned pond water exchange daily (from the main pond), fry food consisting of mostly of liquifry, small flake food, and freshly hatched brine shrimp. The only ones that grew fast and colored up quickly were the ones that we missed and hatched in the main pond with only natural food to graze on in the carpet algae.
This time we began feeding finely powdered high protein adult food immediately with high spirulina, krill, fishmeal content. They are also in a puddle with a well established population of earthworms, and we've seen them munching on those, both large and small. The difference in both growth rates and color is unbelievable.

MikeST
06-13-2007, 12:02 PM
That actually does help guys . Thanks.
Its just killing me to know what these are.
I have been thinking of rainsing them up...but I really dont need a ton more sarassa. I would keep if they were koi I think.

Its interesting that you had smaller fry and developement with younger fish. My koi are not that big yet..so this could be the case.( At least Im hoping )
I was almost positive they were not Koi until we sat out late saturday night and watched the koi constantly herding each other into the hyacith. It was the first time I sort of started to think the koi could be laying eggs. The hyacnth were constantly moving and we found more eggs in the morning.

Right now I am feeding mostly live brine shrimp. And lots of water changes.
The bad thing about the shrimp ( besides not a great nutritional value )
is that after they are started on that...they dont really want to take dry food. They are spoiled.
I have ground-up Saki-Hikari growth pellets...but they spit it out.

My first batch is 2-1/2 weeks now. Almost no color at all.
I thought I saw some dark spots starting to develope...but I think its just wishful thinking. Then when I saw your posts and you had Koi with color at only 1 week !
Im jealous.

Mike

PapaBear
06-13-2007, 12:09 PM
Another way to get them to eat the powdered food. Get some WORMS, mash 'em up:eek1: , and mix with the powder to form a paste:D: . You might be surprised at the results;) .

Funbug
08-03-2007, 07:32 PM
Mike FishOCD is right. Goldfish fry stay brown/dark a lot longer than koi fry. Not only that but usually if you have koi and goldfish in the same pond most of your fry will be goldfish. The goldfish start spawning sooner and spawn more often and the teeny goldfish will make short work of any koi eggs or fry that manage to hatch. This has pretty much been my experience in a mixed pond with koi and goldfish. koi fry are longer, skinnier and have a more triangular shaped head than koi fry and I can usually tell the difference right away just by looking now when I find fry so if you have any fry pics you could post them. :)

Shorty
08-04-2007, 02:17 AM
I hatched some Sarassa fry this February, I have pics on my website, and some video of them spawning:
http://www.shortypen.com/projects/pond/spawn/index.htm

http://www.shortypen.com/projects/pond/spawn/fry5.jpg

Took about 2 months for their color to show on some, and other stayed olive / brown for longer.

Ironically I have same predicament that you do, I found 3 fry in my biofilter and trapped them with a homemade soda bottle minnow trap. I have pictures of the trap here:
http://www.shortypen.com/projects/pond/minnow/index.htm

http://www.shortypen.com/projects/pond/minnow/dd1.jpg

2 of the fry died, only one survives and is doing good. It is longer and skinnier looking than the sarassa fry. Its about 2 weeks old now, only feeding it brine shrimp. Going to start with the ground flake and pellet food soon.

Thanks
Shorty