PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Sanke

0418brennan
06-06-2007, 04:17 PM
Well I'm dipping my toes with breeding Sanke. This is a controlled breeding. My question is I have a natural spring that runs back behind one of my barns and I was wondering if I could utilize this. The spring is 52 degrees year round. With small fry I know ammonia levels rise quickly. I raise them in 700 gallon cattle tanks. I want to use a flow thru type system with the fry. I would be pumping in roughly 1 gallon per hour of fresh clean natural water :yes: . Would this temperature have an ill effect on the fry? I know temperature flucs kill them off quite quickly. I've never done the flow thru system, and I'm guessing at this rate the tank will be a steady 60 degrees. Could the fry withstand this temperature, and grow, or am I looking at die offs, and deformities? :no: :confused:

Joey S
06-06-2007, 04:21 PM
I sure think they would be happier in warmer water. Anyway to put it in a holding tank to warm up - solar blanket?

West Coast
06-06-2007, 05:34 PM
Fry need a source of natural food to thrive. Roitifer, copepods and algaes do well at water temps in the high 60's. Although you can supplement feedings with brine shrimp, liqifry and other food sources, the natural ones work best (in my opinion). 52 DF water is too cold for proper fry development. Neither the food nor their ability to motabalize it will occur at that temp. My advise would be to dig a mud pond or get a large above ground pool to raise them in. If you go with the pool you can use a liquid fertilizer to get the algae bloom going quickly. I recently loaded, and am still loading, 6 million fry into many large mud ponds. We usee the liquid ferts and dry ferts to get them going. PM me if you need more details.

BOB

PapaBear
06-06-2007, 10:23 PM
Got to agree. At those temps their metabolism is barely up and running and even the best food would barely be eaten, much less well metabolized. Warm it up another 15-20 degrees and they'll do much better.

savannahrobinson
06-06-2007, 11:01 PM
Too cold. The mixing will not be significant enough to reduce ammonia levels 1/700.

I wouldn't do it directly.

Can you rig a solar heater? All you need is a LONG tube that is draped over the roof or anything in direct sunlight. You will be amazed at how much temperature change you get. :)
You need the water at about 70 degrees.