there are 14 of them
i have been doing small water changed daily with pond water maybe
a gal a day should i do more.
im feeding them first bites food.
and frozen brine.
water has no ammonia and ph is 7.0

PapaBear
06-06-2007, 10:18 PM
So tell us how they're doing! We like to compare notes over here so we can learn from each other. How big are they compared to when they first hatched, how big where the parents, what kind of colors are the parents and babies?
I would increase the water changes somewhat, but using pond water is our favorite way to go too.

memum64
06-07-2007, 10:27 AM
they are from 3/4 to half inch
most of them look yellow but there are two that look white and i have 3 that still are so small you cant tell
i did not see who spawed with who but i do know my females are the
black and orange butterfly,white scaleless, yellowand white , white
those were the ones full of eggs

i tried to get pics but they come out blurry still
my adults i have in the pond between 3 and six yrs
this is my first yr with babies
adults are 12 to eighteen inches long

PapaBear
06-07-2007, 02:54 PM
Which one of the females looks like she just went on a crash diet???

memum64
06-07-2007, 11:03 PM
they all look slim know

memum64
06-08-2007, 08:42 PM
did a complete water change tonight hope all goes well

memum64
06-09-2007, 02:19 PM
I See Members Saying There Koi Look Like The Adults At 1 In Mine Dont .i See Very Little Color And They Look The Same
So Im Gonna Have Ugly Koi?

PapaBear
06-09-2007, 03:54 PM
I think you are jumping the gun a bit. At 1 inch you can just barely begin to see anything of value, unless you are a real pro at it. At 1" I can see a few of ours with very basic signs of Kohaku patterns, sanke or bekko patterns, and potential utsuri (they start out solid black). A large number from a typical spawn will be single color Koi, even in professional Japanese fry ponds.
Give them (and yourself) some time, and enjoy learning from them as they slowly teach you about themselves. It is a fantastic way to learn.

Noahsnana
06-09-2007, 11:28 PM
Congrats on the babies... looks like they are thriving :wtg:

memum64
06-21-2007, 08:52 PM
there are two that look green to me
and the biggest one looks silver with blue on its head
a few yellow and yellow with black

PapaBear
06-22-2007, 08:38 AM
They look healthy. Try to get some tighter closeups so we can see a little more detail on the silver w/blue on its head. Likely baby sumi, or possibly the brain showing through. It is common to be able to see through their forehead into the brain cavity at this age.

MikeST
06-22-2007, 09:39 AM
Papabear,

I was glad you said that about being patient. I still have a couple hundred fry that I dont know if they are KOI or not.
They are about 1/2" - 3/4" long right now. 4 weeks old tomorrow. I see a lot of posts from people that say they can tell colors at 2 weeks of age. Im just not seeing anything yet so I was getting discouraged. They are all real heathy ..but just kind of a light yellowish tint to them. No markings of any kind yet. I think a few of them might be slowly starting to show darker areas on their foreheads...but I cant even be sure of that.

PapaBear
06-22-2007, 02:23 PM
Papabear,

I was glad you said that about being patient. I still have a couple hundred fry that I dont know if they are KOI or not.
They are about 1/2" - 3/4" long right now. 4 weeks old tomorrow. I see a lot of posts from people that say they can tell colors at 2 weeks of age. Im just not seeing anything yet so I was getting discouraged. They are all real heathy ..but just kind of a light yellowish tint to them. No markings of any kind yet. I think a few of them might be slowly starting to show darker areas on their foreheads...but I cant even be sure of that.

I can definitely empathize (been there, done that;) )
Our first spawn a few years back too a lot of patience, and since we didn't know any better:confused: we just waited............. and waited...........:rolleyes:
If you've read about our most recent hatch you'll notice what a difference the parent size/age has made this time around. Quicker to develop in every way. What I'm also convinced of is food types making a HUGE difference in color development. As mentioned in my other thread, we had a concurrent spawn among some juvenile Koi producing very tiny fry. At 3 weeks they were only 3/8-1/2" long:eek1:, less than 1/3 the size of their cousins born the same day. What is really surprising me is how well they are developing, even at such a small size. At 1/2" long they are developing distinct and clear markings. I was watching one of the little ones this morning while I hand fed. Only about 1/2-5/8" long, but very clearly marked yellow and black bands indicating probable ki bekko. This baby is not much bigger around than a #2 pencil lead, and the markings are as clear as day.

memum64
06-29-2007, 09:53 PM
babies are growing
but i still think the dark ones look green
and the sikver is starting to look green ]blue
i am having trouble with pic they are blurry when i get up close
but you cant tell color from distance