PDA

View Full Version : High Nitrate

Morgan
06-04-2007, 08:08 PM
Hi guys need some help, I have a 50 gallon tank containing 7 African Ciclids ranging from 2 to 4 inches, 6 Tiger Barbs, 3 Pictus Catfish 1 rainbow shark and a 3 inch Plec. I have had my tank running 9 months now and always had a problem with Nitrate levels!! There not stupidly high or anything, never really rising above 40...however I would like them down to zero. My tank came new with an internal bio filter and I have since added an additionl filter, a fluvel 4 plus. Water is crystel and fish seem really happy. I do weekly 30% water changes with a gravel hoover and treat the water with the nessacerry chemicals. As for feeding, my fish get fed every other day with Cichlid pellets, flake, catfood pellets, live shrimp, veg etc (These foods are not all added the same day i vary there diets)

Please could someone give me some constructive ideas as to how to lower my Nitrate levels??

PH 8.0
Amonia 0.0
Nitrite 0.0
Nitrate 40
Temp 80 Degrees :Spongebob:

Graham
06-04-2007, 08:39 PM
Very simple do larger water changes, like 40% every second day...you're fish will love you for it...40ppm really isn't a problem either and you'll never get it to 0ppm, unless you do 75% per day

drrich2
06-04-2007, 10:04 PM
I'd try a large clump of Java moss. If the cichlids don't eat it, I doubt the rest will, either, and it helps keep nitrate down in some of my turtle tanks.

Richard.

Morgan
06-05-2007, 12:59 PM
Thanks guys appreacite the help, 40 % every other days is a great idea but expensive in water conditioners, i may increase the persentage of water i change to 50% on a weekly basis and definitly try the java moss (Fingers crossed my cichlids won't eat it)

*Ci*
06-05-2007, 02:58 PM
There are only two ways to control nitrates in a freshwater indoor tank like yours - water changes or plant heavily. One clump of floating moss won't do much.
Check your tapwater - it might already have nitrates in it.

40ppm is not considered too high. I would just do a 50% change per week, make sure I add nitrate free water and let it go at that.

Cheers.