PDA

View Full Version : Hey Stephen - how is it coming?

savannahrobinson
06-02-2007, 12:31 AM
Did you get a good spawn this year?

With the Tropical Storm heading your way, I'd look forward to the fresh water... Doesn't hurt fry at all.
But I don't know the salinity of your fry ponds. Too radical a change can be a shock. If you have high salinity, try easing it down, so the influx of fresh water won't be too rapid a change.

You know, its odd that you haven't been posting more photos!

stephen
06-02-2007, 01:51 AM
Did you get a good spawn this year?

With the Tropical Storm heading your way, I'd look forward to the fresh water... Doesn't hurt fry at all.
But I don't know the salinity of your fry ponds. Too radical a change can be a shock. If you have high salinity, try easing it down, so the influx of fresh water won't be too rapid a change.

You know, its odd that you haven't been posting more photos!

I mentioned on my spawn thread that I killed most of them. I took them out and placed them in tubs to begin culling. Instead of using pond water in the tubs I used fresh water. I waited for the water temps to equalize. Must have been ph shock. One thing I will say, it **** skippy was a major cull:eek1: Live & Learn:cool3:

Gene
06-02-2007, 05:21 AM
I mentioned on my spawn thread that I killed most of them. I took them out and placed them in tubs to begin culling. Instead of using pond water in the tubs I used fresh water. I waited for the water temps to equalize. Must have been ph shock. One thing I will say, it **** skippy was a major cull:eek1: Live & Learn:cool3:

That's a big 10-4 there, good buddy! :sad:

savannahrobinson
06-02-2007, 09:00 AM
Sorry, I missed that. Bean beezy lately...

Brett, when he culls, which is rare because he has a bait market, does it like an old japanese gardener. He wades out into the pond, sits on a stool, and keeps the fish in the net.

Vance, who culls earlier and often, uses a small bucket and only does a few at a time.

The only two types that can be effectively culled at the fry stage are utsuri and showa. Because at 3-4 days they are black.

Anything else, you can wait until they are big enough to see. And they are going to be less fragile at a larger size, too.

Whaddueyeno... :rolleyes:
Just what I've seen.

cindy
06-02-2007, 04:25 PM
sorry

PapaBear
06-02-2007, 07:31 PM

Well THAT really sucks in a big way...
From the sounds of things (us too) a lot of us amateurs are having some issues this year. We lost most of our eggs to a hungry critter of some sort, but the rest are doing well. Hopefully todays action at your place will give you some good results.