PDA

View Full Version : Another fry question.

RichB
05-27-2007, 07:55 AM
So I did a little searching of this website but couldn't find the answer to the question - forgive me if you have heard it all before...(there are 15 pages that come up when you do a search on the word "Fry").

So I have 4 Koi that I've had for 5 years now. I moved from Wisconsin to California and now live in Pennsylvania and my Koi have come along for the ride (that is a different story). While in CA they started to outgrow their tank and I promised them when I got a house I'd make a pond for them.

So, $1000 later I dug them a pond and put them in late last summer. After the winter (which they survived because I looked after them) they decided to spawn - a dream of mine. I could never get carp to spawn in the UK - where I am from.

So now I have 17 fry in a tank, no deformities but plenty of questions. So here I go..

1) I am feeding them boiled egg yolk for now and am going to add crushed freshwater shrimp. Is that right?
2) If I only have 17 (I don't know how many I have in the pond) - how many do you think I could expect to survive? 1? 2? I am pretty good at keeping tank conditions optimal and check for nitrogen levels, pH etc.
3) How quickly will fry grow and get their color so I can figure out who their parents are?
4) How quickly do they get to 1"?
5) How long do they have to be to put them back in the pond so they can survive the winter? My pond is about 2,700 gallons and 3 feet deep.

Any answers would be great, I would really appreciate it. My Koi are all Petsmart mutts, but honestly, I'd be happy with common carp. I just love the carps.

One last non-fry related question. I have frogs in my pond now. A bad thing? I know they can be a problem when the frogs try to mate - they grab on a fish sometimes...

Rich,

RichB
05-27-2007, 11:46 PM
Are these common questions that don't merrit reply?

stephen
05-28-2007, 12:04 AM
So I did a little searching of this website but couldn't find the answer to the question - forgive me if you have heard it all before...(there are 15 pages that come up when you do a search on the word "Fry").

So I have 4 Koi that I've had for 5 years now. I moved from Wisconsin to California and now live in Pennsylvania and my Koi have come along for the ride (that is a different story). While in CA they started to outgrow their tank and I promised them when I got a house I'd make a pond for them.

So, $1000 later I dug them a pond and put them in late last summer. After the winter (which they survived because I looked after them) they decided to spawn - a dream of mine. I could never get carp to spawn in the UK - where I am from.

So now I have 17 fry in a tank, no deformities but plenty of questions. So here I go..

1) I am feeding them boiled egg yolk for now and am going to add crushed freshwater shrimp. Is that right?
2) If I only have 17 (I don't know how many I have in the pond) - how many do you think I could expect to survive? 1? 2? I am pretty good at keeping tank conditions optimal and check for nitrogen levels, pH etc.
3) How quickly will fry grow and get their color so I can figure out who their parents are?
4) How quickly do they get to 1"?
5) How long do they have to be to put them back in the pond so they can survive the winter? My pond is about 2,700 gallons and 3 feet deep.

Any answers would be great, I would really appreciate it. My Koi are all Petsmart mutts, but honestly, I'd be happy with common carp. I just love the carps.

One last non-fry related question. I have frogs in my pond now. A bad thing? I know they can be a problem when the frogs try to mate - they grab on a fish sometimes...

Rich,

Hi Rich:punk1: I am a beginner myself but will give the best that I can:

1- That will work but make sure to do major water changes to keep your water copostatic:cool3:

2 - 0-17:confused: Depends on a lot of variables. Good luck:cheer:

3 - They will be an inch long, give or take after one month. You can immediately cull the dead :rolleyes: , disfigured, etc

4 - ^

5 - :confused:

vipldy
05-28-2007, 01:20 AM
If you live in cold regions you want the fry/yearling's in for the winter..They stand a better chance of survival the following year outdoors in winter. Of course many people in the colder area's have indoor/winter ponds :yes:

Marie

PapaBear
05-28-2007, 07:11 AM
Plenty of good advice given already, but I'll go ahead and toss in a few soundbites.
They need plenty of good nutrition, and you are headed in the right direction. Crushed high protein Koi food is also good to add to the mix if you don't have algae rich water with natural daphnia growth. Fry must be fed well to survive as they have no fat stores and no way to build any yet. High quality protein is key to survival and growth, along with careful water management.
Make sure you keep the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels in check with steady water changes, otherwise your mortality rates will be high and developmental deformities will also become a problem. Excellent aeration is also very important.
We had a small hatch 7 days ago, and they are 1/2 - 3/4 in now, one or two pushing an inch. Some are still rather pale, but most are showing some color already. Much of their early development really depends on the age of the parents. Large females not only produce more eggs, they are bigger too. The larger the female, the bigger the fry will be and the faster they will grow.
Our first spawn several years ago produced many tiny fry that were slow to show color, but the females were only 2-3 years old. This year the female was about 5 years old and +20", so the fry were bigger from day one, and the larger ones showed clear signs of color on day two.
As far as guessing the parents from the fry, good luck. Pond grade Koi tend to throw offspring that are wildly diverse as their parentage is usually mixed. We have no asagi in our pond, but several fry from our first spawn were asagi nonetheless. Poor quality culls, but definitely asagi... along with just about anything else you might care to think of:rolleyes:

RichB
05-28-2007, 07:58 AM
Thanks for the replies. One of my carp is a mirror and was involved in the spawning. I guess if she is involved I can tell from scale patterns.

I need to change the water today. I'll add some pond water too.

RichB
06-08-2007, 08:11 PM
All my carp are still alive 17/17 so far...

PapaBear
06-09-2007, 08:09 AM
Sounds like things are still headed in the right direction. Tell us about growth, colors etc... How are they developing thus far.

RichB
06-09-2007, 04:00 PM
Well, Papa...I am now certain that I have a mixture of Goldfish and Koi....not hybrids but both Koi and Goldfish. Some are brown and have mouths like Goldfish - and some are colored with mouths like carp. THe Koi are mostly yellow, blue and black...with some with red flashes on them. I am sorry I don't know the actual name of them - my fish were bought from PetSmart when they were an inch long (6 years ago - one is well over 15 inches now). They are not your fantastic carp - really I don't know what is.

However, some are a lovely calico coloring of yellow, black and white. I'll get a photo of them. All are back in the pond now they are about 1" long. I'll leave them to nature now as in all honesty I have little extra room for new fish. My pond is 15' x 9' x 3' deep and I have 7 fish in it already. I'll see what grows up and if they don't look big enough come the winter - I will tank what I can catch before it freezes. I have a 46 gallon, a 25 gallon and a 10 gallon tank...

RichB

PS I'll post a photo when I can get one. :)

PapaBear
06-09-2007, 07:08 PM
Pix are GOOD! We'll be waiting.