PDA

View Full Version : My Planned breeding..Goshiki-Showa!!

Brutuscz
05-20-2007, 09:42 AM
This is my first attempt at a planned breeding. My parents are a Takahashi male showa and a hiroi female goshiki. Whenever I see a goshiki/showa from otsuka..I think it's beautiful...and often expensive$$$. I know pskoi has a few that are exceptional. I also like that the Hi is really deep red. My parents both have excellent hi..so, I'm hoping my pair works out. I used a 450gal kiddie pool..with 2-500watt titanium heaters. I am keeping the water at a stable 71deg. I also used 2-5ft spawning brushes. I had tons of eggs..and currently have tons of fry. I thought the black fry would be the goshiki showa...I will try to raise them all for now. I want to see if the white fry are goshiki??? I am feeding frozen baby brine shrimp,dafnia and rotifers. I am also mixing in hbh brand baby bites fry food. They seem to be eating it...so far so good. I am doing water changes..I have a second pool of 210gal with a 300watt heater to match the temp for the water changes. I am also using ammonia removal pads in my filter. My submersible pump has a nylon stocking around it to keep the fry out. I also have 2 airstones running. I'll keep everyone updated!!!:yahoo:

Blammo
05-20-2007, 09:49 AM
You sir, are brilliant !!!
Focus..focus...

Rudy
05-20-2007, 11:38 AM
Fill me in on the ammonia removal pads please. Zeolite packets?:confused:

Joey S
05-20-2007, 02:35 PM
Nice looking parents. Can't wait to see what you got!

Brutuscz
05-21-2007, 11:02 PM
Fill me in on the ammonia removal pads please. Zeolite packets?:confused:
It is simply a pad by oddysea..probably with zeolite in it. Maybe 2ftX1ft and cost $5. It says to replace them every 2 weeks. They also come in carbon pads and phosphate removal pads. Don't know if it's working..but the fry are doing excellent. I will keep doing exactly what I'm doing!!!

Rudy
05-22-2007, 06:33 PM
It is simply a pad by oddysea..probably with zeolite in it. Maybe 2ftX1ft and cost $5. It says to replace them every 2 weeks. They also come in carbon pads and phosphate removal pads. Don't know if it's working..but the fry are doing excellent. I will keep doing exactly what I'm doing!!!

Thanks for the info.
Who's everything going?

Brutuscz
05-22-2007, 11:53 PM
Everything is going excellent so far. Fry are growing well. I am confused a little regarding culling. I know the black ones will be the ones I will want to raise...but, will the white ones be more goshiki-like?!? I will raise them for a while and see.

Carl
05-23-2007, 07:42 AM
Everything is going excellent so far. Fry are growing well. I am confused a little regarding culling. I know the black ones will be the ones I will want to raise...but, will the white ones be more goshiki-like?!? I will raise them for a while and see.

I think it's important to keep a couple of each type, if you can, in oder to really learn something about the potential results of that mating pair.

Brutuscz
06-10-2007, 06:19 PM
Some updated pics from 6-10-07. They are all doing well and growing like weeds!!! They are now the size of small guppies. It seems that 1/3 to 1/4 are the black fry that I was trying to breed. The more yellow fry will probably be more goshiki-like. Still feeding rotifers, baby brine shrimp, daphnia and HBH brand fry food. Doing great!!!:clap:

Rudy
06-10-2007, 06:29 PM
Good news. Must make you appreciate the work that a breeder making his living off the chance of a few good koi per thousands of fry goes through.
Best of luck with the little guys. :yes:

steveamy
06-10-2007, 06:35 PM
This is something that is fun to watch. Interested to see the outcome of the yellow versus the black fry. Good luck.

PapaBear
06-10-2007, 09:17 PM
I'll be anxious to see what they black vs white experiment turns out like too. From what I "hear" goshiki fry take a good eye to cull for, but you could fit everything I know about them firsthand on the head of a pin... We got lucky the first spawn we had and actually had one (goshiki sanke) coming along nicely (purely by accident mind you), but we lost it to a swim bladder infection at 7" so never got to see it fully develop.

jonathan
06-28-2007, 12:40 PM
any updates ?

cindy
07-06-2007, 04:17 PM
????

Limpet
07-25-2007, 06:12 PM
Anything???

PapaBear
07-28-2007, 07:26 PM
Hey dude... Got any progress photo's to share yet??? We've been looking forward to it ya know!

Brutuscz
08-03-2007, 07:26 PM
Sorry for the wait on the updates!!! The fry are doing well. The majority are white. Unfortunately, I'm in mourning...the goshiki I used to breed jumped out of my pond and died. I will remember her through her babies:no: . Hopefully a few will look like her.
I have them all in a 1200gal pool in my basement. I am feeding 4times daily. I am feeding mostly flakes now...>40%protein and I crush them up fine by hand. Some can eat very small pellets as well...so they get that too now. Growing very well. :punk1:

Alitheoldbat
08-03-2007, 09:26 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss she was a nice fish. The fry look really good hope you end up with something interesting. Have you culled at all yet? Keep us updated.

Brutuscz
08-04-2007, 12:28 AM
I probably have about 1,000 fry. Just culling the deformed ones. She was not very big...so, I didn't hatch as many as I first thought.

PapaBear
08-05-2007, 08:27 AM
I'm really sorry to hear she jumped out on you. Hopefully you'll get your wish and some of her babies will give you a glimpse of her.
So what is next (beyond the obvious). From what I understand culling for Goshiki/Goromo is pretty tricky business and I wouldn't know where to start. Will you just keep anything that has a Kohaku or Sanke look to it and wait for the rest of the traits to fill in the blanks?
One of the reasons I ask is that we had one Goshiki Sanke from our first spawn, but I didn't see the Goshiki traits emerge until it was about 1 yr old, and we have a shiro bekko from the same spawn that took nearly 2 years to develop Goshiki netting along with the Sumi stepping stones.

Brutuscz
08-23-2007, 03:51 PM
here is my update. The fry are doing well...but, the size differences are an issue. I have about 10-20 that are waaay bigger than the rest. I call these, the white whales!!! Unfortunately...many are cannibals. Lots of fry were half eaten or missing. I separated the large ones into a separate pool..and no more dead fry since then. I think I only have 100-200 left. Vicious little things those white wales...got a few living with their tales bitten off!!

luke-gr
08-23-2007, 04:55 PM
Tobies. :mad: Just saw this thread. Sorry to hear about the mama. :(

pete
08-25-2007, 02:11 PM
pics!!!

Brutuscz
09-20-2007, 07:53 PM
Here are some updated fry pics!!! The larger group are 2-3inches. The smaller majority are from1/2inch-2inches. A lot of canibalism from these little buggers. Maybe 100 koi left....only about 5 showa!!! The goshiki ones seem to grow faster.

Poppajohn
09-22-2007, 04:16 PM
I am hoping one day I can enjoy doing this. It looks like it would be alot of fun and excitement. Good luck and take care of the little ones. :)

pete
09-27-2007, 12:58 PM
Mail me your culls!!!