PDA

View Full Version : Koi Spawning Questions...

JoesPonds.com
05-14-2007, 01:58 PM
This is the first year my Koi have spawned and I have a few questions...

I won't have a commercial spawning brush available for approximately one week since the eggs from my first spawning are still attached to my brushes in an indoor aquarium. Has anyone here ever used ordinary mop heads as Koi spawning media? If so, please explain how. Pictures would be awesome. I am using mop heads now; however, they keep floating to the top of the water. Should they be anchored below the water surface?

Can Koi spawn more than once during the same breeding season? I have several females who appear egg-bound and most of my males still seem eager. Can a single female lay more than one batch of eggs and/or can a male successfully spawn with more than one female during the same season?

I am definitely a newbie when it comes to Koi spawning so any advice of information would be greatly appreciated.

cindy
05-14-2007, 03:44 PM
Koi Spawning Questions...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the first year my Koi have spawned and I have a few questions...

I won't have a commercial spawning brush available for approximately one week since the eggs from my first spawning are still attached to my brushes in an indoor aquarium. Has anyone here ever used ordinary mop heads as Koi spawning media? If so, please explain how. Pictures would be awesome. I am using mop heads now; however, they keep floating to the top of the water. Should they be anchored below the water surface? I didn't have any luck with mop heads. Mine love floating plants like hyacinth

Can Koi spawn more than once during the same breeding season? I have several females who appear egg-bound and most of my males still seem eager. Can a single female lay more than one batch of eggs and/or can a male successfully spawn with more than one female during the same season?Guessing so if she doesn't completely empty and males can "do it" more than once

I am definitely a newbie when it comes to Koi spawning so any advice of information would be greatly appreciated.

dick benbow
05-14-2007, 08:59 PM
I know of several commercial institutions that are capable because of location
to be able to spawn females twice each year. It would be on the same page as a puppy factory. Not something you want to do. females if allowed to dispell all their eggs should only have to spawn once. But sometimes newbees
get nervous because they fear injury in which case they interrupt the process
and the females may wish to dispel the rest of their eggs simulating a second spawning. In japan males can be used twice a season in natural methods, or can be stripped and used to fertilize several females. After the spawn males can be returned to the main pond if uninjured and females need space and a coupla days to get rid of the scent they release when ready to spawn. They can be injured critically if placed back in the main tank.