PDA

View Full Version : My Koi Spawned!

JoesPonds.com
05-14-2007, 12:02 PM
On Saturday morning I placed some spawning brushes in my Koi pond. I could tell almost immediately that my Koi were "interested." The Koi were still going at it on Sunday morning. After running some errands, I returned home shortly after noon to find the brushes covered with eggs. I have since relocated the eggs to an indoor aquarium, added some anti-fungal medication, and am providing plenty of aeration. Will do a 20% water change tonight.

Since my spawning brushes are currently in our aquarium, I purchased a few mop heads and hung them over the Koi pond in the same location. My Koi again seemed interested, so I'm hopeful I'll have another batch of eggs within the next day or two. As soon as my eggs hatch, I'll rinse out the spawning brushes and return them to the pond as well. I also went ahead and orded another set of spawning brushes, but they probably won't arrive for another week or so.

I setup an 10' X 30" Intex pool to help raise the fry. I originally planned to use this pool as my breeding pond as well; however, everything happened so fast I didn't really have time. My first spawning was a flock spawning so I'm sure most of the fry will be nothing more than pond mutts. I may try to limit my second spawn to kohakus, since one of my female kohakus is eggy and I have several anxious male kohakus old enough to breed.

Photos and updates to follow...

Carl
05-14-2007, 01:32 PM
On Saturday morning I placed some spawning brushes in my Koi pond. I could tell almost immediately that my Koi were "interested." The Koi were still going at it on Sunday morning. After running some errands, I returned home shortly after noon to find the brushes covered with eggs. I have since relocated the eggs to an indoor aquarium, added some anti-fungal medication, and am providing plenty of aeration. Will do a 20% water change tonight.

Since my spawning brushes are currently in our aquarium, I purchased a few mop heads and hung them over the Koi pond in the same location. My Koi again seemed interested, so I'm hopeful I'll have another batch of eggs within the next day or two. As soon as my eggs hatch, I'll rinse out the spawning brushes and return them to the pond as well. I also went ahead and orded another set of spawning brushes, but they probably won't arrive for another week or so.

I setup an 10' X 30" Intex pool to help raise the fry. I originally planned to use this pool as my breeding pond as well; however, everything happened so fast I didn't really have time. My first spawning was a flock spawning so I'm sure most of the fry will be nothing more than pond mutts. I may try to limit my second spawn to kohakus, since one of my female kohakus is eggy and I have several anxious male kohakus old enough to breed.

Photos and updates to follow...

Neat! Can't wait for the pics. :cool:

cindy
05-14-2007, 03:02 PM
Keeping them all?

JoesPonds.com
05-14-2007, 03:36 PM
As many as I can... Will grow-out for 6 months or so.

cindy
05-14-2007, 03:56 PM
Last time I did it, I ended up with about 150 fish.

JoesPonds.com
05-15-2007, 10:24 AM
I checked the eggs before heading off to work this morning and some of them are already starting to hatch. There were a few fry swimming around. I'm sure I'll see a lot more when I return home this evening. I've got the brine shimp ready and a pool setup to use as a fry pond. Updates to follow...

http://www.joeskoi.com/images/spawnbrushbig1.jpg

JoesPonds.com
05-15-2007, 01:25 PM
I just spoke to my wife and she reports there are now at least several dozen fry swimming around in our aquarium. I will take some pics when I get home tonight...

Koidaddy
05-15-2007, 01:27 PM
Congrats Daddy!!
:cool:

JoesPonds.com
05-16-2007, 10:20 AM
I arrived home last night to find several thousand fry. I did a 100% water change then fed them some freshly hatched baby brine shrimp. I also added some blanket algae and egg yolk to serve a food source. I will add a filter to the tank tonight and do another 100% water change. Updates to follow...

http://www.joeskoi.com/images/fryday1.jpg

JoesPonds.com
05-17-2007, 10:16 AM
Day 2 Update...

I did a 50% water change and added a filter. I also split the fry into two separate tanks to help give them more room to grow. So far things are looking good. Most of the fry appear to be swimming now, so I will probably start feeding within the next day or so...

http://www.joeskoi.com/images/fryday2.jpg

bigtylor
05-17-2007, 09:40 PM
I am sure you already know this but the ammonia sky rockets really fast!! I found that out. Have been doing huge water changes trying to get it under control. :rolleyes:

Congrats on your babies!!

JoesPonds.com
05-18-2007, 02:18 AM
Yes, I actually believe I read that in another thread. I've been doing 50% water changes twice a day for the past three days; basically once every 12 hours. So far things are looking good, but I realize it's still very early...

JoesPonds.com
05-18-2007, 02:25 AM
Day 3 Fry Update...

http://www.joeskoi.com/images/fryday3.jpg

The fry are still doing well. It's amazing how fast they grow. They've probably tripled in size in just the last 48 hours. There's still too many to count, but if I had to venture a guess, I'd say there are probably at least 5,000 fry altogether. I did another 50% water change this afternoon and have begun light feedings using green water, baby brine shrimp, blanket weed, and crushed Koi pellets. I've definitely got a lot of culling to do, which I will plan to start in the next 5-7 days. So far I've only spotted a few dead fry, which I'm almost positive were damaged when I moved them with the net from one tank to another. Another interesting development is for the very first time I'm beginning to see color difference between the fry. Approximately half of the fry appear to be a bright yellow/orange color while the other half remain all white. Culling is definitely going to be a challenge because, honestly, I have no idea what to look for given my mixed brood stock.

On a related note, love must be in the air because I returned home this evening to discover yet another flock spawning had occured in my Koi pond. I'm not sure who the culprits were this time around; however I believe the female involved was either a 22" gin rin butterfly mutt or a 22" gin rin sanke. I have no clue who the male(s) were. Just for kicks I went ahead and moved this second batch of eggs into another indoor aquarium. I can already tell that a good portion of the eggs are fertile so I expect them to hatch within the next 48 hours. Assuming these eggs are actually from different female, it should be interesting to see the differences in the fry. I've definitely got MUCHO culling ahead...

Updates to follow...

bigtylor
05-18-2007, 07:36 AM
Looking good. :) I also noticed the difference in color on my fry. I have clear ones and yellow ones, and some that are more white. How in the world would you know what to cull at this stage? I have lost a few also but not many. A few were ones lost during water changes (my fault) and a few just died but surprisingly most are still alive. :)

JoesPonds.com
05-19-2007, 03:12 AM
http://www.joeskoi.com/images/fryday4.jpg http://www.joeskoi.com/images/fryday4b.jpg

Day 4 Fry Update...

I went ahead and moved the fry from the first spawning to the 10' Intex pool in the backyard and will continue doing 50% water changes on a daily basis to help keep the water parameters in check. I'm hoping this will give them enough room to grow for a week or two so I can begin culling. So far things are looking good. I've had very few casualties thus far so I've definitely got a lot of culling in my future. More to come...

FYI: I went to visit my friend at a local Koi farm earlier today. He said based on my brood stock for this spawning, I should expect to see some ochibas among the fry. We'll see...

steveamy
05-19-2007, 06:06 AM
How in the world do you keep all of the fry from getting sucked into the filter? I'm still trying to figure out how you did 50% water changes and didn't suck them all out.

Setup looks good though. Should be interesting to watch over the next few months.

Joey S
05-19-2007, 10:09 AM
This is fun to watch! :cool: Thanks for the daily updates. Yeah, I'd like to know how you do the water change, too. :confused:

lilhelper
05-19-2007, 11:47 AM
Wow, Im so happy for you Joe and Gabby! This is so fun. I wish my koi would spawn sometime soon. Your a koi breeder! Just gonna need a bigger fry pond soon.

Rudy
05-19-2007, 12:08 PM
Just getting caught up on threads.
Looks like you have been doing a lot of work with the fry and it's paying off.
Very cool, thanks.

Sumthinfishys
05-19-2007, 06:42 PM
How in the world do you keep all of the fry from getting sucked into the filter? I'm still trying to figure out how you did 50% water changes and didn't suck them all out.

Setup looks good though. Should be interesting to watch over the next few months.

Good ??? I want to know???

Mike C

bigtylor
05-19-2007, 09:30 PM
I have been using a syphon hose with a nylon attatched to the end so the babies don't get sucked in. Not sure how Joe is doing it though.

JoesPonds.com
05-21-2007, 11:07 AM
I'm currently raising two separate batches of fry. The first batch is residing in a 10' Intex pool outside. I'm doing 20% water changes per day via pond pump. I'm using a submersible pump, which is covered with several filter pads to help keep the fry from being sucked in.

The second batch of fry, which were hatched three days after my first batch, are currently residing in two separate indoor tanks. I am doing 50% water changes in both of these tanks on a daily basis using a aquarium vacuum hose covered with a fish net. This prevents any fry from being sucked out. I also have about 20 fry from this second batch residing in our 100-gallon backyard pond.

I'm starting to notice some casualties in the Intex pool, but there are still a significant amount of fry remaining. I continue feedings with baby brine shrimp, green water, and string algae...

Updates to follow...

JoesPonds.com
05-21-2007, 05:43 PM
Day 7 Fry Update...

My first batch of fry are still doing well in the 10' Intex pool in the backyard. I realize now that moving them outside so early was probably a mistake as culling this batch of fry will now prove to be an extremely time-consuming task since they have so much room to roam. I will not make the same mistake with my second batch of fry. One way or another, I expect to begin the culling process for my first batch of fry within the next two weeks -- based on color.

My second batch of fry are also stilll doing well. This afternoon I plan to setup a third indoor tank. Once this tank is up and running I will begin sorting this batch of fry based on color. The all-white fry will go in one tank while the orange/yellow fry will go into another. Once the sorting has been completed, the third tank will remain empty for another week or two when I expect to see some tobies appear. All tobies will be placed into this third tank. I will also begin culling this batch during this process; disposing of any fry with physical deformities.

I'll post some updated photos later today...

JoesPonds.com
05-22-2007, 10:45 AM
The first batch of fry are still doing well in the 10' pool in the backyard, as is the second batch of fry which are now residing in three separate indoor tanks. I was originally planning to start sorting this second batch of fry yesterday afternoon based on color;however, I've decided to hold off for at least a few days. I'm planning to use a small fish net to catch the fry for sorting, which is going to be a real challenge since the fry are so tiny and there are so many of them. How do I catch only the fry I wish to sort without accidentally netting up a few dozen? If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. I've started feeding rotifer to both batches of fry and will start them on plankton in the next few days as well. This is in addition to green water, string algae, baby brine shrimp, and powdered Koi pellets. I will continue 50% daily water changes in all three indoor tanks and 20% daily water changes in the outdoor pool. Hopefully, this will keep the water parameters -- particularly ammonia -- under control. I have waterfall filters running on all three indoor tanks, which are definitely helping to maintain water quality. I've yet to see any casualties among this second batch of fry. The number of casulaties spotted among the first batch of fry in the pool have also been minimal. I've been leaving the pool in full sunlight during the day for the past two days to help stimulate an algae bloom. It seems to be working, so I will probably begin covering the pool during the day starting tomorrow. I was planning to take some updated pics yesterday evening; however, the fry are still so small I doubt you'd be able to see much of a change.

Updates to follow...

JoesPonds.com
05-23-2007, 11:26 AM
http://www.joeskoi.com/images/s11.jpg http://www.joeskoi.com/images/poolponds1.jpg

Day 8 Fry Update...

I arrived home yesterday evening and noticed several dead fry in one of my indoor tanks. I've been expecting to see some losses for a while, but I still couldn't help panic just a bit. The fry in the other two indoor tanks seemed to be doing fine, as I didn't spot any dead fry in either tank. Against my better judgement, I went ahead and moved all my fry outdoors. I moved approximately 200 fry to our 100-gallon goldfish pond, which has remained uninhabited for the past several months but has a well-established fliter. The rest of my fry were moved out to the pool. Our goldfish pond and pool are now full of green water and have plenty of string algae. This should make daily water changes less of a chore and, hopefully, will allow the fry to grow at a faster pace so I can begin culling in the next week or so. Also, I'm hopeful that keeping the fry in larger bodies of water will help to keep the water parameters in check -- at least until I begin culling. I have started feedings of plankton, in addition to rotifer, green water, string algae, baby brine shrimp. and powered Koi feed pellets.

Updates to follow...

JoesPonds.com
05-25-2007, 01:21 AM
I decided to do some rearranging this afternoon with our fry. Basically, all the fry from our first spawning are now residing in our 10' Intex pool. All the fry from our second spawning are now residing in our 100-gallon backyard pond. So far, both batches of fry seem to be doing well in their respective temporary homes. I'm debating on whether or not I should hold off on culling for another few weeks. My original plan was to begin culling this weekend; however, given proper care (water changes, feedings, etc.) I think I can get most of the fry to survive for at least a few weeks. I'm hopeful this will allow me to do a more efficient job of culling the fry -- keeping only those which I truly wish to grow-on for another 6 months or so. I've purposely left the Intex pool uncovered 24/7 to help stimulate an algae bloom. As you can see from the photos below, it worked!

http://www.joeskoi.com/images/frypond2.jpg http://www.joeskoi.com/images/frypond3.jpg

I tried to take a few pics of the actual fry, but I guess they're still a bit too small for my camera to pickup. If you look closely...and if your eyes are better than mine, you can see several fry in the photo below...

http://www.joeskoi.com/images/day10fry1.jpg

Once I begin the culling process, I will place most of my "keepers" into a DIY fry holding basket, which has already been mounted in our 5,500-gallon growout pond. This holding basket was extremely simple to make and cost under $50 to complete...

http://www.joeskoi.com/images/diyfrybasket.jpg http://www.joeskoi.comimages/diyfrybasket2.jpg

More to come...

steveamy
05-25-2007, 06:48 AM
Do you have a process by which you are going to cull? I've heard breeders describe what they look for while culling but I would have no idea what I was doing.

Good idea on the fry holding pen. Some pvc and window screen? Simple yet it looks very effective.

JoesPonds.com
05-25-2007, 10:11 AM
At first, I will be culling only fry with deformities. I will primarily be sorting them based on color. I probably won't begin culling these fry for another week or two. I got the idea to build the fry holding basket from a member on another forum. You're correct -- all that was needed was some 1/2" PVC pipe, a few connectors, and some shade screen. It should do nicely...

bigtylor
05-25-2007, 01:12 PM
I haven't been feeding mine much since moved them out to the pool. There is algae in there and they don't come up for food when I put it in?? I probably have about 100 or so out there. Should I be doing anything besides water changes?

JoesPonds.com
05-27-2007, 11:50 AM
The fry in our 100-gallon goldfish pond are still doing well. I know this because the water is clear in this pond and I can see them spread throughout the pond. I'm not sure how the fry are doing in our Intex pool; however, since the water in this pond is extremely green and I can't really see any fry at all to be perfectly honest. I did a 50% water drain in the Intex pool yesterday evening and started using my net to try and locate some fry. After several attempts, the good news is I was able to find two fry that have shown definite growth. The bad news is; however, that I was only actually able to find two fry. Surely there must be more than two survivng fry in this pool remaining out of the 5,000 or so I added last week. Or not? For all of you raising fry in backyard ponds and/or pools, are you easily able to see your fry? I have a feeling that many of them are hanging out near the pond bottom or along the edges where I can't see them. Either that or they all died, somehow managed to find their way into the pump box, or simply disappeared. Should I be able to see the fry in this pool? What do you guys think? Is it normal to not see any fry? I'm using a small submersible pump contained within a filter box. I used a total of four filter pads in this box to prevent the fry from being sucked in. I checked it again yesterday evening and I'm confident this isn't the problem. I also have a similar pump setup in our goldfish pond and yet, as I mentioned earlier, I can still see the fry swimming around this pond because the water is clear. I would think if fry getting sucked into the pump was the issue, I'd experience the same problem in the goldfish pond. Am I just worrying for nothing or is it actually likely that 99.9% of my fry in the Intex pool are simply gone forever?

bigtylor
05-29-2007, 08:23 PM
I have been gone for 3 days and first thing I did was check my fry in the pool. I have located a few but also not seeing as many as I originally put in. :confused: I did find only a couple dead so am thinking they have found hiding spots. The filter box holes are not large enough here either to suck them up. I did find a few free swimming and some hanging out in the algae clumps and also on the algae on the lily pots. Some are also hiding out in the folds on the bottom of the pool. Maybe that is where your babies are? Hope you will find some soon. Remember that is a HUGE pond and they are VERY small. :) (at least mine are:D: )

Ethan25
06-01-2007, 10:30 AM
any news?

bigtylor
06-01-2007, 12:06 PM
I've been wondering also. :)

jonathan
06-01-2007, 11:28 PM
bump

bigtylor
06-04-2007, 07:56 AM
Any updates??

JoesPonds.com
06-04-2007, 10:48 AM
The surviving fry from our first spawning were moved to a DIY holding basket in our 5,500-gallon growout pond a week ago. They are doing well...major growth! The fry from our second spawning are still doing well in our 100-gallon goldfish pond; however, they're aren't growing much at all -- probably because of the lack of space. Updates to follow...

GloriaL
06-04-2007, 11:38 AM
pictures????

JoesPonds.com
06-04-2007, 12:36 PM
I'll post some new pics tonight...

bigtylor
06-04-2007, 10:25 PM
Waiting.....:D:

jonathan
06-10-2007, 10:57 AM
bump

DillonWren
06-12-2007, 11:24 AM
I cant wait for the pictures

bigtylor
06-14-2007, 11:45 PM
The surviving fry from our first spawning were moved to a DIY holding basket in our 5,500-gallon growout pond a week ago. They are doing well...major growth! The fry from our second spawning are still doing well in our 100-gallon goldfish pond; however, they're aren't growing much at all -- probably because of the lack of space. Updates to follow...

I'll post some new pics tonight...

Where's those pictures???:D:

PapaBear
06-15-2007, 01:15 PM
Waiting for those update pix dude;) . Pain in the butt to catch in the Intex huh:punk1:

JoesPonds.com
06-24-2007, 11:39 PM
Sorry for taking so long to update this thread, but I've been EXTREMELY busy lately and taking pictures of these little guys isn't easy. To make a long story short, I have approximately 300 fry remaining. Some are over 1" in length now and starting to show patterns. Updates to follow...

http://www.joeskoi.com/images/62407fry1.jpg
http://www.joeskoi.com/images/62407fry2.jpg

JoesPonds.com
07-15-2007, 05:54 PM
Here are some new pics of my fry...approximately 2 months old now. A few measure over 3" already, but most are between 1" and 1.5". I'm hoping to find a few keepers, but regardless, I'm definitely enjoying and learning from this expererience...

http://www.joeskoi.com/images/707fry1.jpg
http://www.joeskoi.com/images/707fry2.jpg
http://www.joeskoi.com/images/707fry3.jpg
http://www.joeskoi.com/images/707fry4.jpg

GloriaL
07-15-2007, 10:18 PM
Seems you have a number of those yellow and black ones like me. What do those turn out to be, do you know- ki utsuri? Or do they change colors? Mine are nine weeks old, but I don't think I have any that are 3". Maybe 2-2 1/2"

GloriaL
07-15-2007, 10:19 PM
It is fun to watch them grow.

NaturesCall
07-15-2007, 10:46 PM
those look like ours too. God knows what suprises he has in store for us with these.

PapaBear
07-16-2007, 07:54 AM
That has a familiar look to it. I'd say ours that are about the same age pretty much mirror yours overall, while their 3 1/2 week old cousins are mostly still in the yellow/black, all black, or all yellow stage.
My guess from the looks of them is that the 2 tone ones will go bekko or sanke. If you look closely the sumi is pretty much dorsal and the heads mostly sumi-free.

JoesPonds.com
10-26-2007, 04:28 PM
A few months ago we moved our remaining fry to our growout pond. They all stay together in a school and are growing quickly. Most are over 3" in length now, with a few reaching close to 6". This has definitely been a great learning experience, which will come in handy next spring. I'm planning to move some Koi from our growout pond to our sale pond in the next couple months and will take some updated pics of our fry when I do. Stay tuned...

BekkoIsTheBest
10-26-2007, 04:33 PM
Do you have the means to ship? I will be looking for some new fish in a few months when my pond gets finished up.

JoesPonds.com
10-26-2007, 04:37 PM
Actually, I am planning to offer shipping in next couple months so stay tuned. Keep checking my site for details...

NaturesCall
10-26-2007, 06:15 PM
do you have some pictures of their progress?

bigtylor
10-26-2007, 07:19 PM
We still have fry babies too. It is funny our 1 that survived the buffet in the pond is close to probably 5 inches while the babies we had in the swimming pool (who didn't get fed nearly as often) are still ranging in the 1 inch-2 inch range. We have moved them inside now and they are enjoying feedings 3-4 times a day so will see how they grown now. We are gonna try selling ours in the spring also.

Landon90
02-21-2008, 06:29 PM
WHere are the pics

bigtylor
02-21-2008, 09:50 PM
Will have to take some. They are nothing exciting and not growing much at all.

Joe has had much more success than me. :)

mars
03-19-2008, 05:32 PM
I wish I could see the photos.... I guess they are in the a different style than my pc can view. They show up as a red X in a box???? However I have viewed other photos youy have in other Threads.

Marlene

majederr
03-19-2008, 06:19 PM
The post is older so the pics were probably removed.

JoesPonds.com
03-20-2008, 05:04 PM
Marlene, I fixed the pics...just for you.;)

bigtylor
03-20-2008, 06:21 PM
Where are the recent pictures??

JoesPonds.com
03-24-2008, 04:13 PM
My surviving fry are still residing in my growout pond, so won't be able to get new photos until it's drained. I've just about decided on the oyegoi for this year's planned spawning. Will post 'em in a new thread...

sallyboy
05-07-2008, 07:52 PM
Did you place the spawning brushes at the surface or below the water surface???