PDA

View Full Version : Spawning injury

GloriaL
05-13-2007, 04:18 PM
Well I didn't think my fish were old enough to spawn - just barely 2 years old, but i was wrong. They spawned last night or this morning and when I went out to feed them I found my largest fish (21") stuck in my Savio skimmer, her head was in one of those side pockets. She had a pretty bad cut on her mouth and was pretty banged up on one side and at her tail. So Mother's day brunch was delayed in order to do some fish doctoring. I went ahead and put her in the 10' Intex Q tank with my chagoi growouts. I will salt that later this evening when I get some more salt. Here are the pics of Phillie ( my original koi were named for the UT coaches- Phil Fulmer turned out to be a girl, Bruce Pearl was the one who beat her up last night!)
We used some of the liquid bandage to seal the small scrape and to 'glue' the skin flap back down, hopefully it will stay stuck down.

Rudy
05-13-2007, 04:26 PM
Bad day, sorry. Good news is that koi isn't as bad as you think, least not from the pics.
No more of that towel stuff please. If you cleaned and put on some iodine tincture before sealing all the better. If not just watch her in the QT.
Regarding adding a bunch of salt, if it was me and I had others in there I'd hold off. Even if not I'd be very slow about it.

Good luck and lots of AIR

GloriaL
05-13-2007, 09:01 PM
Well I know the towel is not good for the slime coat, but I figured that was better than having the fish jump onto the floor. I did not get any pictures of her tail, but she lost some scales at the bsae of her tail and she was bleeding from the tail fin itself. the tail was split about halfway down in three different places. I didn't think there was much to do about that. I cleaned all the injured places with peroxide and betadine and sealed it with the denture powder. I had planned to salt the water to ~0.1% Why would you not salt the water?

GloriaL
05-13-2007, 09:03 PM
Did you notice how the bottom 'eyelid' is halfway covering her eye? Is this a problem? I have not seen this on any of my other fish.

Rudy
05-13-2007, 09:07 PM
Well you did everything correct. I guess that little amount won't hurt. Remember what you do for this koi, you are doing to the rest. A little salt won't hurt it just sounded like you were going to go to the store and turn them into saltwater fish :D:
She'll be fine and looking good for the boys to do it again next year :eek1:

cindy
05-13-2007, 09:07 PM
I wouldn't worry about the eye lid right now.

You need to get a guard on the skimmer opening. Let me see if I can find my pic. I had a female end up in mine too.

cindy
05-13-2007, 09:11 PM
mine is a homemade one with eggcrate but these are nice

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13725

GloriaL
05-13-2007, 09:17 PM
I had previously had the skimmer entrance blocked off with pond net when my fish were smaller and would get sucked in. But since all my fish are bigger this year and stayed away from the skimmer I didn't think I needed it anymore. I would have never believed this fish could even fit in the skimmer. Shows how little I know!!!
Opinions on salting the water????????

NaturesCall
05-13-2007, 09:26 PM
that's quite a gouge on it's face. san you get some denture cream and try to sealit? I realize it may not stay but it's worth a try.

cindy
05-13-2007, 09:32 PM
denture powder works better

bigtylor
05-13-2007, 09:38 PM
I had previously had the skimmer entrance blocked off with pond net when my fish were smaller and would get sucked in. But since all my fish are bigger this year and stayed away from the skimmer I didn't think I needed it anymore. I would have never believed this fish could even fit in the skimmer. Shows how little I know!!!
Opinions on salting the water????????

I had the same fish thrown in the skimmer three times on Wednes day due to spawn. Sorry about your fish. I hope she recovers quickly.

GloriaL
05-13-2007, 09:45 PM
I sealed the skin back down with Bandaid Liquid Bandage (it's kinda like superglue) and covered the small gouge with the same stuff. I used denture powder on her sides and tail.

NaturesCall
05-13-2007, 09:56 PM
I sealed the skin back down with Bandaid Liquid Bandage (it's kinda like superglue) and covered the small gouge with the same stuff. I used denture powder on her sides and tail.
Good Job Gloria, here's hoping the gouge sticks.

Noahsnana
05-13-2007, 10:48 PM
Let us know any updates...

GloriaL
05-13-2007, 10:54 PM
I'll try to post some pics as she gets better(hopefully)

savannahrobinson
05-13-2007, 10:55 PM
She will live if it doesn't get infected.

Next time, instead of towels, use a plastic bag to hold her down, doesn't disturb the slime coat as much.

Net off the skimmer :)

Watch, but don't do anyting radical. This doesn't appear to be a moribund koi.

GloriaL
05-13-2007, 11:05 PM
We put Saran wrap under her, but even after anesthetizing her with the clove oil when i hit a raw spot with the peroxide she would really jump. Thus the towel. She lost a lot of scales. When I last checked on her she ate a little( she's in the Q tank with my chagois and I fed them a little) and was swimming well.

savannahrobinson
05-13-2007, 11:11 PM
She'll make it.

You can wrap a fish with Saran wrap - its better than towels.

Roark used to have a V shaped brace for bigger fish. Instead of sedating them completely, he would bind them with Saran Wrap, and could take blood samples, or give injections, because they couldn't wiggle out.

Fish object to being turned over more than they object to being injected or poked. If you can keep a fish vertical, you can mess with superficial wounds all day long.

cindy
05-14-2007, 10:11 AM
saran wrap. great idea, thank you.

I wouldn't salt just keep good water.

GloriaL
05-14-2007, 11:18 AM
Thanks for your input Cindy.She looks pretty good this morning, a little skittish, tho. She'll swim toward me then kinda pause and just look at me like 'Oh yeah you were the one manhandling me yesterday!'

Funbug
05-14-2007, 01:16 PM
Sounds like you are doing everything right. I'm sure she'll recover. Koi are pretty tough fish.

As one who has dealt with some spawning injuries I would recommend that you check the pond for rough edges or anything sharp to try and avoid future injuries. I don't know if you have rocks in the pond or around the edge but that gouge near the nose looks nasty.

My husband is really annoyed with me because I have changed his design for the way we are edging our pond due to previous spawning injuries. He wanted the flagstone to overhang everywhere and I have told him that we can't have that since the edges can be sharp and that's where fish like to spawn. We have a slight compromise in that we are using waterfall foam to soften up any really rough areas that fish might touch where the flagstone has to hang over. From inside the pond I removed anything that had corners or edges (like for instance I had some bricks in the pond that were an attempt to keep the koi out of the water lilies). The only rocks I allow anymore are really smooth river rocks and I really don't even like those in the pond anymore if I can avoid it. I have seen much fewer injuries since I did this.