PDA

View Full Version : Breeding?

BekkoIsTheBest
05-12-2007, 09:12 PM
I have a fantail hat should be about 1 year old. It is in the same tank with a regular comet, and a calico fantail. The comet is chasing the fantail with his head (excuse me) "up" her butt? He is making her flop above the water line, trapping "her" in corners, and rubbing his side against her. The comet is now doing the same thing to the calico fantail. Are they getting ready to spawn? They are in a 10 gallon tank...... I really don't know if the fantails are laden with eggs because they always look "fat" to me!

BekkoIsTheBest
05-12-2007, 10:26 PM
Is there anything I can do......I would love to raise some fry...But first they gotta lay some eggs! Are there ways to induce spawning? The male is trying hard, but the fantail doesnt seem to be responding.

Pond,James_Pond
05-13-2007, 10:27 AM
These are a few you can control. There are other natural triggers you cannot.

-40% water change with 5 degree cooler water
-Change the lighting pattern (a little earlier on in the morning)
-Do these two things as a low pressure system is approaching

These will only work of course -if- the females actually have eggs.

good luck!
steve

dick benbow
05-13-2007, 10:34 AM
in addition, you can increase aireation, feed live foods prior, and i have my best bet at 4 days before a full moon.

Bekko is best did you see my post on getting my outside pond up? I have posted a pic of a douitsu aka bekko that you don't see alot of these days.
when i first started in koi some 25 + yrs ago, back then it was rare to see an akka or a ki.....