PDA

View Full Version : Was gonna post that my eggs have eyes...

bigtylor
05-11-2007, 10:33 PM
about 20 minutes ago but just looked again and my eggs are moving:eek1: Some of them are hatching!!:yahoo:

carrie
05-11-2007, 10:36 PM
about 20 minutes ago but just looked again and my eggs are moving:eek1: Some of them are hatching!!:yahoo:

:clap: Good lucky Becky!
I`m hoping I don`t see any fry so I don`t have to decide what to do with them:eek1:

vipldy
05-11-2007, 10:37 PM
:cheer: :cheer: They will then stick all over the glass walls!

Marie:D:

bigtylor
05-11-2007, 11:00 PM
:clap: Good lucky Becky!
I`m hoping I don`t see any fry so I don`t have to decide what to do with them:eek1:My only wish is that my fish were a little prettier so the babies would be, but who knows what they will turn out to be if they make it.

:cheer: :cheer: They will then stick all over the glass walls! I know they still might not make it but it is exciting to see them hatch. I about died when I saw all those little eyes.:eek1:

vipldy
05-11-2007, 11:01 PM
My only wish is that my fish were a little prettier so the babies would be, but who knows what they will turn out to be if they make it.

They could be so pretty you just don't know:no: But how fun:punk1:

Marie

EDIT: This is from my fishes spawn not quite 2 years ago..Its a girl and her name is Darby:clap: She is a medium LF:D:

Marie

sweetpea
05-11-2007, 11:03 PM
String babies!!!:yes: :clap:

carrie
05-11-2007, 11:16 PM
My fish have spawned every year since I put the pond in July 2005. The first year I thought it was the coolest thing EVER.:yahoo:
The second year I thought it was interesting to watch the fry develope.:yes: Sadly , none of them survived.
Today, after watching my cute little kohaku being bullied by three males..it`s not a pretty business:no: I decided I have to go with all males or all females:rolleyes:
I was hoping to enjoy every aspect of the hobby...but I`m worn out after watching this.I hate to be debbie downer...but it was awful to see one of my girls so beat up.
But Becky.....I hope you enjoy your fry!!!
I`m just tired tonight, worrying about my little Brady girl :yes:

bigtylor
05-11-2007, 11:40 PM
I agree. I couldn't believe how rough they are. I mean I have heard people on here talk about it but never imagined. I am excited b/c this is the first "known" spawn where we have actually got to see it and collect eggs to try to hatch but it will stink that they do it every year and sometimes more ythan that. Is your girl acting ok? Bridgette seems ok, I just saw that and got a little worried. As you said, they may not even live but it is a neat experience to watch them hatch none the less. :) hope your baby is ok!!

carrie
05-11-2007, 11:50 PM
I agree. I couldn't believe how rough they are. I mean I have heard people on here talk about it but never imagined. I am excited b/c this is the first "known" spawn where we have actually got to see it and collect eggs to try to hatch but it will stink that they do it every year and sometimes more ythan that. Is your girl acting ok? Bridgette seems ok, I just saw that and got a little worried. As you said, they may not even live but it is a neat experience to watch them hatch none the less. :) hope your baby is ok!!

They are rough:no: I was on the phone with Cindy yelling at the koi to leave her alone....and don`t you know the Goshiki, the biggest male stopped when I threw food in.:rolleyes:
I`m just going to watch her..I hope she will be fine.
I hope your babies are lots of fun to watch!!:cool:

bigtylor
05-11-2007, 11:54 PM
Mine didn't want food or anything but the girls. :rolleyes: They started Tues night and went all day Weds. Yesterday they ate eggs all day and wouldn't even come up to see me. Today they came back over just like normal sucking on my fingers and letting me pet them and ate like little pigs:D:

By the way Marie, Darby is beautiful!!

vipldy
05-12-2007, 12:12 AM
Mine didn't want food or anything but the girls. :rolleyes: They started Tues night and went all day Weds. Yesterday they ate eggs all day and wouldn't even come up to see me. Today they came back over just like normal sucking on my fingers and letting me pet them and ate like little pigs:D:

By the way Marie, Darby is beautiful!!

Thank you:D: She is our Mutt but our koi made her:cheer: :cheer:

Marie

bigtylor
05-12-2007, 10:39 AM
A whole bunch hatched overnight!! :D: They are swimming everywhere! I went out to the pond and pulled a bunch more algae to put in there for food.

bigtylor
05-12-2007, 10:50 AM
Marie-you mentioned hard boiled egg yolks in the first day or so. Do I just boil and egg and crumble a yolk in the water?

bigtylor
05-12-2007, 10:44 PM
Their first portrait LOL Not real clear cause it is hard to take cause they are so small and see-through LOL oh well, here they are:D:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/bigty98/hatchedbabies5-12-07.jpg

Can you see any of them??

vipldy
05-12-2007, 10:45 PM
Yes I see them:cool: :punk1:

BekkoIsTheBest
05-12-2007, 10:46 PM
I think I can see some...

bigtylor
05-12-2007, 10:48 PM
There is a bunch :D: Marie-do I crumble the cooked yolk in there? Seems like it would be VERY messy. When should I pull the white eggs that don't hatch? The ones that are going to hatch should be hatched with in a week for sure right? When do I need to get the filter going? So many questions-sorry.:rolleyes:

vipldy
05-12-2007, 10:51 PM
There is a bunch :D: Marie-do I crumble the cooked yolk in there? Seems like it would be VERY messy. When should I pull the white eggs that don't hatch? The ones that are going to hatch should be hatched with in a week for sure right? When do I need to get the filter going? So many questions-sorry.:rolleyes:

Once the egg sack is gone they need regular nutrition to survive. Tiny bits of squished hardboiled egg yolk will do when they are very small. You need to make sure that they will not be sucked into filters and such:yes: What we did with the white eggs is, Jerry used a straw on a air tube and grabbed them that way:yes:

Marie

bigtylor
05-12-2007, 10:53 PM
ok, stupid question, what does the egg sack look like? :eek: They just look like little fish to me with little round heads and tails LOL

vipldy
05-12-2007, 11:11 PM
ok, stupid question, what does the egg sack look like? :eek: They just look like little fish to me with little round heads and tails LOL

Like little bellies..We also fed the fry Daphina..Its a dry powder found at pet shop's or fish stores..Are the fry swimming yet or are they still on the wall? Once they leave the wall and take their first breath they will need food..You must really watch your water perimeters and daily testing is a must!

Marie

bigtylor
05-13-2007, 07:06 PM
They are doing both. They seem to like the algae that I put in on the bottom. Will fire up the waterfall filter tonight. Got to get a nylon to put over it so it doesn't suck them up. :) There are still a few clear eggs that haven't hatched. Should I pull them out now or let them be a few more days?

bigtylor
05-16-2007, 09:49 AM
Ammonia was through the roof! Have NEVER had it that high on anything ever. Did Major water change last night and did another fairly decent one today. Will do more later today in hopes of getting it back under control. Poor things. Hopefully I didn't kill them all. Most of them are still activly swimming surprisingly. Could have really done more water change but didn't want to do TOO much in one night. I am surprised at how many are still alive.

Rita in Il
05-16-2007, 02:19 PM
Congrats Grandma! :clap: What will you do if alot survive? :eek1:

I'm sure having a hard time getting rid of goldfish! :rolleyes: Koi should be easier though. :clap:

bigtylor
05-16-2007, 04:46 PM
Congrats Grandma! :clap: What will you do if alot survive? :eek1:

I'm sure having a hard time getting rid of goldfish! :rolleyes: Koi should be easier though. :clap:

Honestly, I have no idea. I have figured that most of them won't.:rolleyes: This is a great learning experience though. DH said we should sell them for 5 bucks a piece out by the road if they make it. Next year when they spawn, we will not pull any eggs, just let mother nature do her thing, but wanted to try this year and see if we couldn't get a couple out of them. :)

bigtylor
05-21-2007, 07:27 AM
How many fry usually survive? I am starting to lose quite a few of them, is this normal? I am doing 50% water changes on the 10 gallon twice a day. PP'ing a 8 ft swimming pool currently. Will be draining this afternoon and refilling with water today. Bought a filter to put in and am gonna transfer them to pool in hopes that will stop losing them. Hoping that some survive, would be fun to keep a few from our spawn. :)

Carl
05-21-2007, 08:10 AM
Becky

When a species has lots of offspring, it is to compensate for a high loss rate. So, this is normal. If many lived, it would result in overpopulation. Of course, in your care they are avoiding the natural predators.

PapaBear
05-21-2007, 08:36 AM
Koi are unfortunately a wee bit genetically "defective"...:confused: High rates of birth defects are common, and generally the first thing culled for. Some self-culling takes place among the fry that have defective organs, etc...
The other cause of high mortality is the ammonia you are fighting. Green water helps consume some of it while providing a food source for the fry, but in a closed environment (as opposed to a mud pond) heavy & careful water changes are essential. Keeping dead fry and unhatched eggs out of the water helps too. Decaying fry and eggs cause water fouling and consume massive amounts of oxygen.

JoesPonds.com
05-21-2007, 10:54 AM
I have two separate batches of fry right now -- both hatched last week. I moved the first batch outside to a 10' Intex pool while the second batch is currently residing in two separate indoor tanks. I have also noticed a fair amount of dead fry in the Intex pool despite routine water changes and plenty of green water. I agree with other comments made, it's just nature's way of preventing overpopulation...

bigtylor
05-21-2007, 09:48 PM
I appreciate all your replies. :) I was starting to feel like I was killing all these poor little guys and gals. I know I really don't want them all to live but yet they were doing so well and then all the sudden, seems like more and more are dying. :( I have purchased a filtration kit and have an 8 foot kiddie pool I was going to transfer them to in hopes that a few would make it. Do you think I should continue on with that or should I just keep battling the aquarium? I realize 10 gallons is not big enough. Currently that is all I have unless I move them to the pool. What would be best? Some seem to be doing really well still. They are generally found on the bottom eating food particals most of the time and seem the strongest. Do I just continue cleaning out the dead ones and keep going or move them?

JoesPonds.com
05-21-2007, 11:55 PM
You will defnitely lose more fry in the aquarium than you would in the pool; however, placing them in the pool will definitely make culling more difficult in the weeks ahead. I'm in a similar situation myself. My first batch of fry have already been moved to an outdoor pool, while my second batch of fry are inside three separate indoor aquariums...

bigtylor
05-22-2007, 08:16 AM
At the rate I am losing them, I may not have to cull anyway. Mine are just pond mutts and just wanted to raise some to see what they turn out to be. IF we end up with too many we have a couple friends who have ponds that will be needing fish this year so they will have homes. :) I think I will try to move them tonight. It is supposed to be really warm the next couple days, then get cool again, but I would think they would be ok in that much water.

bigtylor
05-22-2007, 09:31 PM
Well, we moved most of the fry out to the pool. Here is a couple pics. Not too sure I like DH shade idea but he insists it will not cave in on them:rolleyes: Here is a close up of a couple fry. :)

JoesPonds.com
05-23-2007, 11:08 AM
Looks good...

Noahsnana
05-23-2007, 11:13 AM
Becky has babies :D:

bigtylor
06-04-2007, 07:44 AM
aren't they cute??:D:

bigtylor
06-05-2007, 07:34 AM
So, cull experts, I am not culling any of my babies as mother nature has done most of it already but there is obviously a big difference in these 2 fry. At this age, do you know what color they will be when they get bigger?

bigtylor
07-03-2007, 03:50 PM
I have seen pictures of other members babies and am wondering about growth rates. Mine are still quite small, some larger than others but am wondering what average growth is? Honestly, mine are in a kiddie pool with alot of algae and some good algae growing on the sides. I don't really feed them much as I have not been home alot. When I am home will crush some dried brine shrimp and occasionally they will come up to eat but most of the time they are feeding on the algae.

Ethan25
07-03-2007, 04:19 PM
I have seen pictures of other members babies and am wondering about growth rates. Mine are still quite small, some larger than others but am wondering what average growth is? Honestly, mine are in a kiddie pool with alot of algae and some good algae growing on the sides. I don't really feed them much as I have not been home alot. When I am home will crush some dried brine shrimp and occasionally they will come up to eat but most of the time they are feeding on the algae.

some of my koi babies born in early may are now around 3 inches long.

http://photos-460.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v73/100/8/1952460/n1952460_37623110_3170.jpg

bigtylor
07-03-2007, 05:58 PM
Wow. Mine are definatly small then. What are you feeding? Are your koi more expensive koi or just "mutts" so to speak? Mine are mutts but I love them all the same. Mine are tiny compared to that. Tell me about your where and how please. :D:

GloriaL
07-03-2007, 08:59 PM
Becky, it sounds like I am in the same boat as you are. Mine are 3/4" -1 1/4 " mostly maybe 2 or 3 approaching 2" but those may be mosquito fish as they don't have much color. You can see a picture I took yesterday of mine here:http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59943
Ethan I am amazed 3" in 8 weeks WOW what are you feeding them and how often are they getting fed?