View Full Version : Spawning questions...need asnwers :D:

bigtylor
05-09-2007, 04:32 PM
PLEASE:rolleyes: on the following thread:

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56996

THANKS!! :becky:

bigtylor
05-09-2007, 09:18 PM
wow, 19 views and not one new response. :( Either nobody knows or nobody cares:confused:

GloriaL
05-09-2007, 09:27 PM
I don't know, reading for info.

Andrewn15
05-09-2007, 11:24 PM
Mine spawned on 4/30, it was a whole day event. I only remove one handful of algae with lots of eggs to a small 5 gal aquarum for my daughter and let the koi eat the rest. Water quality was real bad, 3 25% water changes on three consecutive days to bring it under control.
Eggs hatched 3 days after, now I have a few hundred of little koi about 1 cm in a 5 gal aquarium with just a sponge filter type. I'd just moved them outside into a 55 gal container with a small aquarium pump and pond water to how they grow, I haven't fed them with anything yet, just gathered algae around the pond and put them in the container. They grew bigger everyday, at this point I'm stuck. What next?
Hope someone with the experience can chime in.
Andrew

vipldy
05-09-2007, 11:39 PM
Becky, have you heard of research;) You have the eggs inside in a warm 72 deg tank with some air and a fungus med(malachite green solution to stop fungus)for the eggs? Some of the eggs will turn white and those are no good or fertilized..The clear eggs are good and once they hatch they will stick to the tank for a few days and then be free swimming..Koi fry at the 'swim up' stage do not have any developed taste buds and so must detect their food by sight. Therefore they need to have food all around them. Hard-boiled egg yolk is an ideal food for the first day or so - this has very little dietary value, but will increase the size of the stomach. Newly hatched brine shrimp (Artemia sauna) larvae are also a good food source for young koi fry. Start feeding the brineshrimp when the koi are about one week old. After another week or so, the koi will be ready for a mash diet (the powder dust that is left after the manufacturing process of fish food). From this time onwards, feed the koi food of a size that can be taken by the smallest fish in the vat. Its alot of work but fun to see what you get!

Marie

bigtylor
05-10-2007, 11:07 PM
Mine spawned on 4/30, it was a whole day event. I only remove one handful of algae with lots of eggs to a small 5 gal aquarum for my daughter and let the koi eat the rest. Water quality was real bad, 3 25% water changes on three consecutive days to bring it under control.
Eggs hatched 3 days after, now I have a few hundred of little koi about 1 cm in a 5 gal aquarium with just a sponge filter type. I'd just moved them outside into a 55 gal container with a small aquarium pump and pond water to how they grow, I haven't fed them with anything yet, just gathered algae around the pond and put them in the container. They grew bigger everyday, at this point I'm stuck. What next?
Hope someone with the experience can chime in.
Andrew

There is some pretty good advice on the above thread now. :yes:

Becky, have you heard of research;) You have the eggs inside in a warm 72 deg tank with some air and a fungus med(malachite green solution to stop fungus)for the eggs? Some of the eggs will turn white and those are no good or fertilized..The clear eggs are good and once they hatch they will stick to the tank for a few days and then be free swimming..Koi fry at the 'swim up' stage do not have any developed taste buds and so must detect their food by sight. Therefore they need to have food all around them. Hard-boiled egg yolk is an ideal food for the first day or so - this has very little dietary value, but will increase the size of the stomach. Newly hatched brine shrimp (Artemia sauna) larvae are also a good food source for young koi fry. Start feeding the brineshrimp when the koi are about one week old. After another week or so, the koi will be ready for a mash diet (the powder dust that is left after the manufacturing process of fish food). From this time onwards, feed the koi food of a size that can be taken by the smallest fish in the vat. Its alot of work but fun to see what you get!

Marie

Yes, I have heard of research but when I typed in spawn so much comes up that wasn't what I wanted so was easier to ask. ;) Thanks for your advice anyway!!!:D: