PDA

View Full Version : My fish have been spawning....

bigtylor
05-08-2007, 11:07 PM
They were going crazy last night!! When will I notice the females slimming down some? They look like they are huge:eek1:

bigtylor
05-09-2007, 01:53 PM
They are still going crazy and I have eggs everywhere:eek: This is the first "Real" spawn I have witnessed. This is so cool! We want to hatch some of the eggs, what do I need to do? I brought some inside into an aquarium filled with pond water with an airstone and an aquarium light do I need to do anything else? I am assuming I leave the filter off for now?

NJKoi
05-09-2007, 01:56 PM
Make sure you remove the koi from the eggs, they will eat them all!

Also, make sure you let the female rest before putting her back with the rest of the koi.

bigtylor
05-09-2007, 02:01 PM
actually, there are 4 females and 3 males. They are still going although the females are considerably thinner. I have pulled the one female from the skimmer twice. She has been unharmed they have just pushed her in there twice. I don't really have anywhere else to put them right now. :( The basement pond is empty. I did pull some eggs from the pond, they are everywhere. I cut some of the dead plant material that is covered with them as well as a few leaves and some algae and it is all in the aquarium.

Mollie
05-09-2007, 02:10 PM
Becky,make sure you watch your water quality in the pond. It will be a few days before they hatch and a few more days before the are ready for liquid food. I am sure someone with more exp. will jump in here real soon.Mine have not spawned yet but my neighbor gave me some water hyacinths and I got home noticed they are loaded with eggs so I put them in containers with some of my pond water. This morning I have little clear babies swimming.

bigtylor
05-09-2007, 02:14 PM
I figured we will have to do a pretty good water change. The pond looks horrible. :eek: Do you have air on yours? I wasn't sure if I needed an aerator on or not. I knew the filter would suck up the eggs so didn't put that on but do have air going.

Mollie
05-09-2007, 02:42 PM
I don't add the air stone till they absorb their egg sack. I also have one of the sponge filters that you hook air up to that I use so they will not get sucked into the filter.

bigtylor
05-09-2007, 04:19 PM
I don't have one of those. Should I turn my air off? Right now, they are just eggs in an aquarium with algae and whatever they came in on. Should I just leave them in a still aquarium or what?

Mollie
05-09-2007, 04:46 PM
I am not sure, Thats what I did when I raised babies two years ago but I don't know if I am doing it right. I am hoping someone else with more exper. will jump in soon. But I did not add the air till they absorbed the yolk/egg sac. I'm sorry Becky I don't have more info but I don't want to tell you wrong. I can tell you I raised a couple of hundred that way. I also buy the liquid fry food to feed them on the third day. and when they get a little bigger I give them brine shrimp.
Somebody jump in I don't want to tell her wrong.

bigtylor
05-09-2007, 05:03 PM
I appreciate all your help Molly :yes: I haven't done it either so am lost also. Only air I have are aquarium aerators and aquarium waterfall filters. :( I figured the filter would suck up the eggs so didn't turn that on but though they would need some air....If not, I can turn it off, I just need to know from someone if I should or shouldn't have air. Aaaaaaaa-help! :D: I would love to hatch them just to do it and say we did it if you know what I mean. :rolleyes:

Mollie
05-09-2007, 05:15 PM
I know. I got my sponge filter from the local pet shop for under 10.00 I used the waterfall type filter when they got larger I just slipped a knee high stocking over the end and I did not run the flow rate very hard. I can tell you the ones that I put in the 90 gallon plant pond grew faster than the ones in the aquarium.

bigtylor
05-09-2007, 05:26 PM
The nylon is a great idea. I am not too worried about them once they hatch, I just want to get them to hatch :rolleyes: Gotta have the eggs before the chickens right? Funny how 2 little buggers made it all on their own last year with no help from me at all LOL

bigtylor
05-09-2007, 06:58 PM
bumping, doesn't anyone have ANYTHING to add?

FishOCD
05-09-2007, 09:35 PM
Not a clue what to do. Sorry. The only fry I have taken care of are aquarium fish. Out of 1000 eggs and 100 fry only three made it to maturity so I'm not sure you want me to give you advice!

What will be, will be. Don't make yourself nuts over this. (And it sounds like your koi have gotten the hang of the reproduction thing so you'll have many more eggs to come.)

khoffman19
05-09-2007, 09:40 PM
Only 2?
I am still trying to catch "babies" from two springs ago.
If the fish get food they will not eat so many eggs.

bigtylor
05-09-2007, 09:57 PM
Well I am sure some in the pond will survive, I just thought it would be fun to "hatch" some in a tank and watch the process. Thought the kids would enjoy it too. Like I said, they spawned last year without us knowing and 2 babies survived the whole winter with the pond frozen and no air going at all so I know it is possible. Just wanted to try inside too. :rolleyes:

BusDaBluz
05-10-2007, 02:37 AM
Hi Becky,
I recently had a spawning and here's what I did.

Gather the eggs (millions) and put them in a 55gal aquarium.
First day: Treated with methylene blue at the suggested dose and added mild air stone and anachris and java moss to tank. Air stone is located at the top corner of the tank about 3/4 ways up. Used for airation and get some water movement. I would also stick my hand in the tank and gently fan the eggs. Don't know if necessary, but my Convict Cichlids do it, so that's what I did and all is well.
2nd day: did a 50% water change to thin out the blue. Later that evening, I took out more then 3/4 of the eggs and placed in outside grow out pond.
3rd day thinned out the blue even more by partial water change. Added little more airation.
4th day added sponge filter and started them on newly hatched brine and daphnia in green pea algae soup. Fry also love to eat the algae.
5th day on should be pretty routine. I started culling at 2wks. I've got two 55 gal aquariums that's holding little over 100 each.
Some started to show black patterns at 2wks old. Very cool! Some are growing everyday and others are stuck at 4days old. I've got a grow out thread if you haven't seen it. Good luck and lots of fun to watch them grow and develop patterns. I'm starting to train them to eat from my hands like Marie :o) BTW, Steven also has a grow out going on. His is only a few days old. My french fries are little over a month old, born 3/29/07.

DJ

Additional info: Make sure you have them in a bareless bottom tank. This way you can easily suck up the pooh and unhatched eggs and egg shells. I use the smallest diameter plastic gravel vaccum tube. After a week, feed them every 2 to 3 hrs. I found that TetraCichlid Jumbo Sticks will crush into powder when mushed with your fingers. Crude Protein 47% Ingredients: Shrimp Meal, Krill, Fish Meal, and Algae just to name of the few quality ingredients. These are the red sticks. I asked on my other tread if there's anything better to feed, but never got an answer. I too am new to this and would like to learn from the pros. However, if they don't chime in then I think I'll be OK. My fries are growing by the hour and it's cool to see doitsu in the mix. You can also see the barbells developing at this age.

That's it for now.
Good nite,
DJ

Funbug
05-10-2007, 12:34 PM
I have been trying to breed wakin goldfish for 3 years now. This is the first time I have gotten this many fry and I'm having a much better survival rate this year. I had a total of 16 pretty nice wakin from last years spawn and have already sold a few.

When the fish spawn I take the plants or spawn mops with eggs and I leave them outside to hatch in a tub of water covered with a screen. I start with a clean tub and pond water. The screen is to avoid dragonflies and damselflies laying eggs in the water as their nymphs will eat fish eggs and fry. The eggs seem to hatch better outside and then grow faster the first few days and the survival rate is much higher then when I have tried to hatch them inside. I leave them outside for a week or so. After that however, I round them all up and bring them inside to a small aquarium in my office with a sponge filter. One reason for this is Toby's. Toby's are fish that grow faster because they start eating all the other fry. They are usually not the best fish either. Most of the Toby's I see do not have the wakin double tail. Those are removed right away once identified and become oscar food and I donít feel too bad feeding them to Oscar after Iíve seen one devour a sibling. The other reason for bringing them in is because I can feed them much more frequently and keep better tabs on their progress.

I feed the fry several times a day. This time I am feeding a blend of freeze dried daphnia and an egg yolk based flake food that I crush with a mortar and pestle to make it fry sized.

The first few days I put the food into a small amount of water and then feed with an eye dropper. Once they get it this way for a few days and they get used to what it looks like I just sprinkle on top. Once they reach an inch or so they go back outside to a stock tank to grow some more and to color up. I grew some inside and some outside last year and the ones that grew outside were bigger and much healthier so I probably won't be raising any inside this year.

I get the sponge filter ready in advance by putting it together and running it in one of the ponds for a few weeks. This way I already have a cycled filter for them.

Good luck :)

mars
05-14-2007, 03:29 AM
Hi I am a newbee to this great sight. How can you tell the male from the female? I have a 125 gal tank in the house and at the first of the year I lost 5 fish . (over crowed and badly neglected over the holidys) :( I have only one female butterfly left, I only knew that because she has laid eggs twice in the last 2 months. What a smelly mess to clean up and get stable. I NEED TO MAKE A POUND!!!!!!

Marlene

jzomp
05-14-2007, 03:42 PM
Becky, I had my koi spawn last year, and put the eggs in an aquarium,20 gallon with one sponge filter ( cheap buy at any pet store), and one 8 inch airstone. You need aeration to prevent fungus on eggs. After the hatch did not feed them until egg sacs disappeared. ( used hard boiled egg yolk ground fine). You will need to do a partial water change EVERY day @ 25%. Vacum the bottom gently to remove dead fry and any leftover food and scum before water change. By two weeks was able to feed fry fine crushed dry food, brine shrimp and daphnia. Water quality is first, separated fry into 2 other tanks..did not do change on one of the tanks, and overnight all fry were dead :( . Just gave away the last of my brood on Thursday of last week.

bigtylor
05-14-2007, 08:53 PM
They are doing well so far. Alot are swimming around. :) Not sure how to do a water change without sucking them up as some are still hanging on sides and bottom. Have an air stone and waterfall filter covered in a nylon going. Removed unhatched eggs last night and algae. Have fed egg yolk a couple times and they seem interested. :) Advice on how to do water changes welcome. :)

bigtylor
05-14-2007, 09:34 PM
They are 3 days old today :)

carrie
05-14-2007, 09:36 PM
Congrats Grandma Becky....They are cute:clap: :cheer:

bigtylor
05-14-2007, 09:42 PM
Thanks. :) Not sure what to do with them all now LOL I am sure most will not end up making it but it has been a neat experience to watch. The big ones are certainly much more graceful and pretty though :D:

Mollie
05-14-2007, 09:44 PM
They look great. I use an air hose to drain water for the water change. I put it through a pair of kneehigh/panty hose that way it does not get any of the babies. It just takes a little while. Congrats also. The little hitch hikers That was on the plants my neighbor gave me are swimming around also. The are eatting the liquid fry food good.

Mollie
05-14-2007, 09:45 PM
Thanks. :) Not sure what to do with them all now LOL I am sure most will not end up making it but it has been a neat experience to watch. The big ones are certainly much more graceful and pretty though :D:

Trade them with a local pet store for food and supplies :yes: :yes:

bigtylor
05-14-2007, 10:07 PM

:) I don't know if I can part with them. :rolleyes:

bigtylor
05-14-2007, 10:11 PM
I have a hose we use to do water changes in the tanks normally. I will have to try that with the pantyhose over the end. :) It won't pick up the junk but it will at least get the water change done.

Mollie
05-14-2007, 10:13 PM
Yes I must admit that is the hard part. I had to though , if I hadn't I would have been way over stocked. But it is gonna be a whole new ball game if I ever get this 10,000 gallon pond finished.:yes: :yes: And belive me some of the babies turn out great. I have one long fin that is solid Home Depot orange and two yellows w/ long fins that look great from the last spawn.

vipldy
05-14-2007, 10:14 PM
:) I don't know if I can part with them. :rolleyes:

LOL:D: They look great!!!

Marie

bigtylor
05-14-2007, 10:15 PM
LOL:D: They look great!!!

Marie

jzomp
05-15-2007, 10:33 AM
The fry look great! Watch overfeeding and ammonia levels.

bigtylor
05-15-2007, 10:53 PM
Ammonia was through the roof! Have NEVER had it that high on anything ever. :eek: Did Major water change and will do another fairly decent one tomorrow. Hopefully I didn't kill them all. Most of them are still activly swimming surprisingly. Could have really done more water change but didn't want to do TOO much in one night. Will let the other bucket sit out tonight to get to room temp. I am surprised at how many are still alive.

moikoi
05-16-2007, 04:04 AM

some store just sell them as feeders. i remember buying 100 feeders and they were all kois.