PDA

View Full Version : What to expect w/ spawning fish?

Dillon
05-05-2007, 09:10 PM
I believe my two fish started spawning yesterday.. near the surface, bumping into each other , some foam on the water. They carried on like that for most of Friday morning. I did not notice any strong smells though.
Neither of them took any food at all Friday evening or today. I have not seen the female at all since friday morning and she usually hits the food first.

How long does a spawn last? Is it "normal" for them to lose interest in food while they are spawning?

stephen
05-05-2007, 09:19 PM
I believe my two fish started spawning yesterday.. near the surface, bumping into each other , some foam on the water. They carried on like that for most of Friday morning. I did not notice any strong smells though.
Neither of them took any food at all Friday evening or today. I have not seen the female at all since friday morning and she usually hits the food first.

How long does a spawn last? Is it "normal" for them to lose interest in food while they are spawning?

Do You:confused: :D:

vipldy
05-05-2007, 09:23 PM

I would do a water change as soon as you can to get the junk out..The females can get the crap beat out of them durning spawning and need time to rest..Don't worry about food right now..

Marie

Dillon
05-05-2007, 09:33 PM
lol eatting always takes a priority over everything! 'least that is what the DW says about me! ;)

Do You:confused: :D:

Dillon
05-05-2007, 09:38 PM
Thank you Marie - I'll change out some of the water tomorrow. Hopefully they will finish before I run out of wine! ;)

I would do a water change as soon as you can to get the junk out..The females can get the crap beat out of them durning spawning and need time to rest..Don't worry about food right now..

Marie

cindy
05-05-2007, 09:42 PM
they aren't hungry cos they ate all the eggs

Dillon
05-05-2007, 09:54 PM
Hope you are right :yes: It is unusual for piggy girl to miss a meal.

they aren't hungry cos they ate all the eggs

sweetpea
05-05-2007, 10:16 PM
Dillon, you ended up with a male and a female?:D:
I guess it was a 50/50 thing:rolleyes:

Dillon
05-06-2007, 07:51 PM
:yes: The yellow one sure acts like a male. Any idea on how long an average spawn lasts? They are staying toward the bottom and it is driving me nutz not knowing what is going on. I guess they want their privacy! LOL :rolleyes:

Dillon, you ended up with a male and a female?:D:
I guess it was a 50/50 thing:rolleyes:

sweetpea
05-06-2007, 08:02 PM
Dillon,
This seems like a really long time for them to be
"gone". Have you checked your water?
You usually seem them eating eggs but really back
to normal pretty quick.

sweetpea
05-06-2007, 08:03 PM
Mine usually start in the middle of the night and last to maybe
mid morning.

Sorry, I missed answering your question.:rolleyes:

Dillon
05-06-2007, 08:14 PM
Kh was a little low yesterday. 5 vs the usual 7 drops. I added a lb of Baking soda yesterday. Ph in the high 7's - usually low 8's. No ammonia, Nitrates, Nitrates (yesterday). I'll get some new numbers tonight.

I am planning on trying to feed them tomorrow morning.

Dillon,
This seems like a really long time for them to be
"gone". Have you checked your water?
You usually seem them eating eggs but really back
to normal pretty quick.

Dillon
05-06-2007, 08:28 PM
Looks like they are back from their honeymoon! :yes: I went out to check the water and the female was up browsing and looked okay.

Hey - thanks again for your help! Hope you and yours are doing well!

vipldy
05-06-2007, 08:29 PM
Looks like they are back from their honeymoon! :yes: I went out to check the water and the female was up browsing and looked okay.

Hey - thanks again for your help! Hope you and yours are doing well!

Good news!

Marie

sweetpea
05-06-2007, 08:31 PM
:clap: Yep, that's a good sign!!

luke-gr
05-06-2007, 08:34 PM
Good to hear, Dillon. I witnessed my first real spawning at the SKE show this weekend. Bart called me a prebirt for watching. :rolleyes: There were fish in several tanks chasing around.

Glad to hear all is well.

sweetpea
05-06-2007, 08:36 PM
Good to hear, Dillon. I witnessed my first real spawning at the SKE show this weekend. Bart called me a prebirt for watching. :rolleyes: There were fish in several tanks chasing around.

Seeing a spawn for the first time is :eek1: .
Quite violent:rolleyes: :D: :eek1:

Dillon
05-06-2007, 08:45 PM
It must be somethng else to see multiple large fish "going at it". the splashing from my two little guys woke me up. I thought maybe they were hungry - but that hungry!?? The female was acting like she was trying find a safe place- swam into the skimmer twice and my shallow area as well. This is unusual for them and I chalked it up as spawning.

I will do another water change tomorrow to see if that helps get things back to normal.

Obtw - congratulations on your win! :yes: :clap:

Dillon
05-06-2007, 08:46 PM
He was a perfect gentlemen - no scratches or bruises! :rolleyes: :D:

sweetpea
05-06-2007, 08:47 PM
Dillon, did you see any eggs, anywhere?

Dillon
05-06-2007, 08:51 PM
No - just some surface foam - no larger than quarter sized patches. The foam did not smell fishy. Frankly I was expecting to be going through this next year.. do they have false spawns when they are young? Of course the eggs could all be down on the bottom - or eaten.

Dillon, did you see any eggs, anywhere?

sweetpea
05-06-2007, 09:06 PM
The eggs are pretty tiny.:rolleyes: Nope, they
are old enough. :yes: With just the 2 of them and
your size pond, you may not have much odor.

Dillon
05-07-2007, 09:54 PM
:rolleyes: I guess the Honeymoon is over. Both are eatting again like nothing happened.
ph around 8, kh 6 drops.

Now I can focus on getting the QT's yucky green water under control.

bigtylor
05-09-2007, 05:22 PM

Very true! Mine have been going crazy for a couple days. I can't believe how rough they are.