PDA

View Full Version : Pics from around the yard today

ponderingkoi
05-04-2007, 03:25 PM
Still mostly daffodils and forsythia blooming, we've got the yellow theme going here till the daylilies come on. I am loving this sunny spring weather we've had all week. :yes:

Leekinneykoi
05-04-2007, 03:34 PM
Beautiful Paula, my early bloomers poped out for only a day and snow messed them up for a week after that. Now the Azalias and a few others are popping out.:cool:

SouthernStarr
05-04-2007, 04:33 PM
Very pretty Paula! I love daffodils, but mine bloom in Jan-Feb and are gone too soon. Nice to see some more:clap: :clap: :clap:

UnkleTim
05-04-2007, 04:47 PM
oh my...

gray cat
05-04-2007, 04:55 PM
Very pretty. My spring flowers are long gone now.

Noahsnana
05-04-2007, 07:53 PM
I see he likes daffs too :D:

ponderingkoi
05-04-2007, 07:58 PM
Yup...after our cold winters, we need to see a punch of color ASAP. Daffodils fit the bill. We interplant them in the daylily beds. He has nearly 100 new daylilies soaking in water to plant tomorrow, and will plant more daffodils in the Fall. I think I need to come up with something urgent to do off the property tomorrow..lol!;) Someone come up with some ideas for me! :eek1: :D:

Noahsnana
05-04-2007, 08:15 PM
lol he is an addict

ponderingkoi
05-04-2007, 08:19 PM
He is SO bad...you have no idea. We just had a ton of granite curbing put in today. I couldn't justify the expense of doing it...but for him, he can now plant in areas that he couldn't before. Justification enough for him.:rolleyes:

bigtylor
05-04-2007, 08:49 PM
Make sure you show us the pics! :)

ponderingkoi
05-04-2007, 10:00 PM
Make sure you show us the pics! :)

Of the curbing?:confused: You must mean the new flowers...cuz there sure is nothing terribly exciting about curbing...except to some guys :rolleyes: Paula

savannahrobinson
05-04-2007, 10:14 PM
I don't know what you mean by curbing?
So, yeah... photos! :yes:

The daffodils are lovely. Now you need to convince DH to add some jonquils on the near edge - jonquils look like mini-daffodils, like the same treatment, and bloom just a little earlier.

Question: I feed all my bulbs, when I remember, some bone meal in the fall to give them a little boost for the spring - is that good for daylilies?

ponderingkoi
05-04-2007, 10:21 PM
I don't know what you mean by curbing?
So, yeah... photos! :yes:

The daffodils are lovely. Now you need to convince DH to add some jonquils on the near edge - jonquils look like mini-daffodils, like the same treatment, and bloom just a little earlier.

Question: I feed all my bulbs, when I remember, some bone meal in the fall to give them a little boost for the spring - is that good for daylilies?

OK...curbing is where you spend a crazy amount of money to cut granite slabs in curves and straight lines to match the contours of your driveway...so that the grass or mulch (or whatever) meets the granite curb and not the driveway pavement. It goes between the grass and the pavement. SOOooo, we've had excavators, bobcats, cement trucks etc.etc. etc...here all week to install these THINGS, which DH is so excited about :rolleyes: Trust me, it would never have gotten done if it was up to me.
We don't use bonemeal at all cuz the squirrels dig it up (and usually your bulb as well). We just use a standard 10-10-10 fertilizer. Just put some down last week. We do have some tiny daffodils in one spot, not sure the name of them.

Joey S
05-04-2007, 10:21 PM
I don't know what Paula uses, but I use that Milwaukee Sludge stuff!! Don't know why they are the only place that processes their waste for the garden. That's what my daylily hybridizer recommends in our area and we should be about the same. Works great for mine.

ponderingkoi
05-04-2007, 10:33 PM
Savannah...did you use bonemeal in Paul Korf's iris planter? Now I know why the chickens kept picking on them...lol! They finally left them alone when they ran out of bonemeal to peck out....

pskorf
05-04-2007, 10:54 PM
love the pics.you had snow after me and it really hurt my tulips.

madeyna
05-04-2007, 10:56 PM
Those are beatiful blooms Paula. Yours look like they are facing the right way too.

bigtylor
05-04-2007, 11:07 PM
I took a couple pics in the yard today too. :) We also have daffodils.....a few tulips but most were ruined by snow. :rolleyes: The pond has nice blooms right now though. :)

savannahrobinson
05-04-2007, 11:13 PM
Savannah...did you use bonemeal in Paul Korf's iris planter? Now I know why the chickens kept picking on them...lol! They finally left them alone when they ran out of bonemeal to peck out....

Nope. :D: The chickens thought the fat tubers were potatoes... :To funny:
Chickens are dinosaurs... they will eat anything...

ponderingkoi
05-05-2007, 06:40 AM
Becky, I like your daffodils. They look a little like our Tahiti. I like the ruffled and double ones or unusual ones.
Well Savannah, you'll need some sort of underground anchoring system to keep your tubers in the ground with those chickens around. We have a neighbor's dog who EATS our fertilizer around the daylilies and digs them up! You can imagine DH's reaction. I gotta call the owner, cuz that can't be healthy for the dog or DH's blood pressure...lol. We do have a leash law here, but she just lets them run. (And this is the attorney-mom neighbor who could care less about her kids, so I doubt she'll be too concerned about the dog either.) Paula

Swimming Jewel
05-05-2007, 08:16 AM
Looks GREAT Paula.:clap:
My favorite is that Forsythia photo with the lake and mountains in the back.
So many layers in that pic.:bow:
LOVE it!:cool:

bigtylor
05-05-2007, 09:06 AM
Becky, I like your daffodils. They look a little like our Tahiti. I like the ruffled and double ones or unusual ones.
Well Savannah, you'll need some sort of underground anchoring system to keep your tubers in the ground with those chickens around. We have a neighbor's dog who EATS our fertilizer around the daylilies and digs them up! You can imagine DH's reaction. I gotta call the owner, cuz that can't be healthy for the dog or DH's blood pressure...lol. We do have a leash law here, but she just lets them run. (And this is the attorney-mom neighbor who could care less about her kids, so I doubt she'll be too concerned about the dog either.) Paula

Thanks Paula. I somehow have only a few clumps of those and then tons of the traditional. Will have to take some starts off those and spread them in other places :rolleyes: I like it when the marigolds bloom in the pond, it gives it something in the spring so it doesn't look AS bare. :)

sweetpea
05-05-2007, 10:37 AM
Paula, I just love your early spring pics!!
Thanks for sharing!!

ponderingkoi
05-05-2007, 04:07 PM
OK...this is what the 'curbing' looks like so far. The driveway has to be reblack-topped so it'll come a couple inches higher against the curb than what you see here. DH didn't waste any time planting more daylilies in here either. It never ends....Paula PS a few more just snapped. :yes:

Monica
05-06-2007, 11:36 AM
Looks beautiful as usual Paula. I'm you hubby I like the curbing and I would bee excited too :Happy: