PDA

View Full Version : hanky panky

Ethan25
05-01-2007, 09:32 AM
So, yesterday there was some hanky panky going on in the water irises at the pond edge. There was a little foam on the top of the water by afternoon, and when we came home last night, my wife said "do you smell a really strong fish odor?". Needless to say, I think we will be the proud owners of millions of baby fish any day. :yes:

Both fishstores in town love our fish that we bring them, and we get credit in exchange, so that's fine with us.

Question though......water was crystal clear 3 days ago. Its been in the mid 80s the last 3 days. This morning I walked out and it was really murky. Not green at all....but dark and murky. Is this common with spawning? At this point, should I do a larger water change?

I did around 10% yesterday.

Ethan

Headache
05-01-2007, 09:43 AM
Large ? I would do 20/25% each day for 3 days .

PapaBear
05-01-2007, 09:45 AM
Murky water after a spawn??? Say it ain't so:harhar: When Koi spawn they do the bump and grind with each other and anything that is or isn't nailed down.:yes: Needless to say in the process of rubbing against every possible surface they will break all kinds of previously stuck stuff loose and it winds up clouding the water:yes: Add to that all the extra ammonia and protein from eggs and milt:eek1: and your water is a smelly, murky, mess:eek1:
Might as well start a trickling overflow water exchange and keep close tabs on your ammonia and nitrite readings, as a spike is normal.
Do you have a hatchery tub/pond/etc... to move the eggs to? They're gonna do MUCH better if you do.

Ethan25
05-01-2007, 10:09 AM
Murky water after a spawn??? Say it ain't so:harhar: When Koi spawn they do the bump and grind with each other and anything that is or isn't nailed down.:yes: Needless to say in the process of rubbing against every possible surface they will break all kinds of previously stuck stuff loose and it winds up clouding the water:yes: Add to that all the extra ammonia and protein from eggs and milt:eek1: and your water is a smelly, murky, mess:eek1:
Might as well start a trickling overflow water exchange and keep close tabs on your ammonia and nitrite readings, as a spike is normal.
Do you have a hatchery tub/pond/etc... to move the eggs to? They're gonna do MUCH better if you do.

I've got a 100 gallon rubbermaid. I am planning on returning it soon for a 300 gallon. I didn't see any eggs this morning when I went out there though.

But I saw the signs. This has happened the last 2 years, but the water wasn't THIS murky. Had some 500 f2-4" fish sold to local petstore last year. For some reason, many survived. My guess is that it's because I feed my fish well. I would think that hungry fish would go BIZZERK on baby fish, but I had lots of survivors last year.

Ethan

PapaBear
05-01-2007, 10:11 AM
Adult Koi don't generally cannibalize fry. Freshly laid eggs are a different story however... can you spell Caviar???:eek1: