PDA

View Full Version : Bog/Veggie Filter

Bonnie-IN
09-30-2004, 06:03 PM
I asked Keith this question on his post but don't want to take over his post.
Do you have suggestions about making a gravel filled Bog?

Here's my thoughts and plans:
I have 2 areas cut out beside one of my waterfalls. We have the plumbing ran to it but that's all.
I'm considering adding onto the PVC to make a matrix and drilling holes. Then adding small stones ( 3IN?) to anchor the plants.
I currently have large stones that are layed between the water surface and the edge of the bog area.

Thanks,
Bonnie

kntry
09-30-2004, 06:09 PM
Bonnie, I have a 9x16x2' veggie filter and that's basically how mine is. I have a pump in my skimmer pumping into the veggie filter. The pump output is hooked directly to a 2" pvc grid that I made. The entire grid has 1/2" holes drilled in it and covers the entire veggie filter, all the way to the pond return.

I put about 6" of pea gravel in it. For the past 4 years I've had Parrots Feather and Valensia (?) in there, however, this fall, I want to take all the Parrots Feather out and maybe put all lilies or Umbrella Palm, or something besides the Parrots Feather.

Bonnie-IN
09-30-2004, 06:17 PM
Thanks Sandy, approx. how much flow is going thru it?

Noahsnana
09-30-2004, 10:33 PM
Kntry you have a diagram of this setup /grid? I was also wondering the pump flow since you are adding lilies.

kntry
09-30-2004, 10:52 PM
I have pics somewhere. I'll try to find them this weekend. The flow is only about 1600 gph at the pump. I'm sure it's much less as it winds through the piping, losing speed as it goes through the holes.

I forgot to mention above that the holes started out small closest to the intake. I progressively made the holes larger as they got further from the pump.

This is all DIY and works for my pond. Check back every so often and I'll find the pics.

keith berland
09-30-2004, 10:58 PM
Bonnie I'm not Luke you can take my posts anywhere you want and I will not cry.Tomorow I will post a picture of the vault and centipede used to make a cleanable bog system

Noahsnana
09-30-2004, 11:03 PM
Thanks I will keep an eye on this thread.
So you think the flow is slow enough not to disturb the lilies.

I am going to build a lily pond to but up to my pond and wanted to pop a submersible pump in the skimmer and have it flow back to the main pond or through falls. I do like the grid idea to slow down the flow.

kntry
09-30-2004, 11:13 PM
Thanks I will keep an eye on this thread.
So you think the flow is slow enough not to disturb the lilies.

I have several lilies in there now that planted themselves. They grow every year on their own!

Bonnie-IN
10-01-2004, 09:14 AM
To keep from jumping this around, this is what Keith had to say in another thread:

" Bonnie,
Bog filters like older undergravel filters do a good job on bio-conversion but, they also build up with gunk and become places for disease to start.The grid you talk about has been done by many and it's fine for some years then it gets bad.
A little different building method will allow you to backwash or flush the filter when needed.First you need dig out the center of the filter pit deeper and place the grid work pipe in the deep spot.Now here is the trick you need to have a vault attached to the grid large enough to lower a pump in.Every few years you suck the built up gunk out.That allwet guy from down your way will have the scoop on how to do it. Aquascape has a new vault system out I have not seen the price on them. I do think they are shipping them yet but will be soon.
You do not want small drilled holes this is not a spray bar slots are better.Like you said I like to layer stone starting with larger 4-6" down low and get smaller stone on top I like small red flint 1/2" or smaller for the top layer it makes planting alot easier.
An older style bog without the cleanout will work fine but when it goes bad cleaning it will be nasty."

Keith, I know that you frown on most DIY items but when you say "You do not want small drilled holes this is not a spray bar slots are better"
Why slots? And what would I need to make slots in PVC?

Thanks,
Bonnie

Sandy, looking forward to your pix!

kntry
10-01-2004, 09:37 AM
Bonnie, I went through stacks of disks last night and haven't found the pics yet :(

When I said small holes close to the intake, I didn't mean THAT small. There is no spray action at all, just a gentle bubbling.

I don't have a pit dug in the cener, however, there is a bottom drain.

kntry
10-07-2004, 09:37 AM
Bonnie, I haven't forgotten about the pics, I'm still looking for them.

luke-gr
10-08-2004, 04:51 PM
To keep from jumping this around, this is what Keith had to say in another thread:

"Keith, I know that you frown on most DIY items but when you say "You do not want small drilled holes this is not a spray bar slots are better"
Why slots? And what would I need to make slots in PVC?

Thanks,
Bonnie

Sandy, looking forward to your pix!

Bonnie, I think the idea is simply to reduce pressure. Im not sure that you couldnt do it with holes. A dremel tool/die grinder or something similar will make long skinny slots.