PDA

View Full Version : saltwater tank event

LIjohn
01-14-2007, 12:05 AM
remeber that old joke that had to do with environmentalists --- "what would they do if they saw an endangered animal eating an endangered plant"?

welllllll, i felt like that env. a few minutes ago ..........

just fed the saltwater tank --- they unfrenzied, and one of
the little gobies ( a little over an inch) was perching on one the mushrooms -- the friggin mushroom BALLOONED over the fish and sealed his bubble --- kinda Discovery channel-ish...... the mushroom is somewhat translucent and you could see the fish trying to escape --- i was hoping the gobie would escape, but after a minute, it was obvious he wasn't

i tried to intervene a little, but i realized the fish was doomed and if i persisted i'd kill the mushroom as well -- so i put him back and took more pics :heh: :heh: :heh:

it really just suprised the heck out of me -- here i was worried about the fish picking on the corals.........

bummed about the goby, but curious as to how BIG this mushrooms gonna get...

Swimming Jewel
01-14-2007, 12:22 AM
WOW! :eek: Cool, but gruesome!:cool2:

Joey S
01-14-2007, 08:22 AM
:eek: Whoa, you have a fish eating Mushroom?? Poor Gobie.:( Anyone else at risk? And just what else does this mushroom eat?

savannahrobinson
01-14-2007, 08:24 AM
With lion fish you can overfeed them - and then they don't eat the other fish in the tank.
Can you overfeed a mushroom?

gray cat
01-14-2007, 08:26 AM
WOW!!! :eek:

Leekinneykoi
01-14-2007, 08:31 AM
Sorry John:( , was it your yellow clown goby?:( I love the clown Gobies, especially the Green ones.

Never saw or herd of a mushroom doing that, aneomes yes but not mushrooms.:confused:

LIjohn
01-14-2007, 12:07 PM
now that i know this shroom eats bigger things than micro-orgs, i'll feed him a piece of shrimp when he's open -- he's been quite the active thing --- opens and closes a lot and actually appears to have some control over his location..

lee -- it was one of the fire gobies (?) -- clear fish with a few black stripes and a tancho-like mark

cindy
01-14-2007, 12:44 PM
wow and sorry

Reefin' Dude
01-20-2007, 11:05 PM
yep, shrooms are very capable of eating fish. one of those things that most LFS forget to tell you when you buy one. some shrooms are even more capable of eating fish than some anemone's. the big elephant ear shroom is notorious for eating some fairly large tangs and such.

G~

sweetpea
01-21-2007, 01:35 PM
:faint: