PDA

View Full Version : leaving koi at the breeder?

sloburn
01-07-2007, 04:01 PM
I noticed in some pictures people said they purchased Koi and left it at the breeder? Is that so thy can grow larger then if they grew in a home pond? Does this cost extra or is it a special deal that some clubs have worked out with the breeder?

saltiery
01-07-2007, 07:39 PM
yes you rent space, the koi is photographed and that's what you take home. If the fish dies...oooops.

saltiery
01-07-2007, 07:43 PM
sometimes, they tell you it stays...no choice there.

PrettyBoy
01-07-2007, 07:48 PM
there are a lot of breeders/dealers out there who really just care about the well being of the fish. Harvest from Japan are usually 2 times a year and this time of year is when we get one of the harvests. Half of the country is in cold climates right now so introducing and qurantiening a koi is cold temps is no good unless you have heat. So most breeders sell you a koi and keep it there until temps warm up/pond is established/ etc... Some breeders charger others dont

Headache
01-07-2007, 11:00 PM
As others have said , You do pay extra to leave a koi to grow out in a mud pond . From what I have heard , you can't just buy any koi you want and leave it . It must be a koi that the breeder feels is worthy of the space & time that it will take up over the next year . I have Insurance on my growout koi that covers me for what ever reason (Sex,Shape,injury,death) .

2006-2007
Koi $ xxxx
Growout Fee $ xxxx
Insurance $ xxxx

Total = $ xxxx

2007-2008 : This will be decided after the koi comes out of pond Nov. 2007
Growout Fee $ xxxx
Insurance $ xxxx

Total = $ xxxx

Shipping To Louisville $ xxxx (I may go get the koi , that saves me $100)
Grand Total $ XXXX

Why did you ask this question !!! :mad: :frown: :mad: ;) !

sloburn
01-07-2007, 11:33 PM
I was just curious I had seen some captions along with pictures that said people purchased koi but left it at the breeder.

pskorf
01-07-2007, 11:36 PM
i think headache did not want a memory brought up.
hey troy at least the last line never added another X

sloburn
01-08-2007, 07:55 AM
ouch something happrn to your fish troy?

Headache
01-08-2007, 10:18 AM
I was just curious I had seen some captions along with pictures that said people purchased koi but left it at the breeder.

I hope you know I was just kidding around . I was thinking about the money . :lol:

Headache
01-08-2007, 10:20 AM
i think headache did not want a memory brought up.
hey troy at least the last line never added another X

But the X's got bigger !:lol:

Headache
01-08-2007, 10:21 AM
ouch something happrn to your fish troy?

No , Again just the money it could end up costing me .

sloburn
01-08-2007, 03:18 PM
oh. in the end im sure it will be worth it.

Headache
01-08-2007, 03:31 PM
oh. in the end im sure it will be worth it.

I hope your right , but sorry to tell you , it's not a Shiro .:nono: :lol: :nono:

Rick Gippner
01-08-2007, 04:38 PM
I've been looking at this thread, thinking: paying for a fish, then not getting it and further paying for board and insurance :thinking: It's either getting a better bigger fish for less, or it the joy of ownership without any of the grief.:rolleyes:

Headache
01-08-2007, 04:51 PM
Rick , I maybe the only guy you'll ever see smiling while cleaning filters . :happy: I enjoy every part of this hobby , even the work part .

Have you seen the growth & development a koi can have over a summer in a mud pond , you cant dup. that in a liner pond . Go to the Neisi Koi Farm web-site to see before and after photos .

Rick Gippner
01-08-2007, 04:53 PM
aw, I was only funnin'. I, too love filter cleaning, and other mucky jobs, DW always has something she needs to do:rolleyes: :thinking: maybe I clean the filters too often.

Headache
01-08-2007, 05:11 PM
I thought you got it , just was making sure !

gonecadd
01-08-2007, 06:11 PM
What is an average cost per month for houseing a koi at the breeder?
Good guess is all I need.

gonecadd
01-08-2007, 06:13 PM
I was going to purchase one last year and the breeder would not hang on to it for me even if I paid up front.
I thought "how much trouble could it be to hang on to 1 fish for 6 weeks?"

Headache
01-08-2007, 06:36 PM
What is an average cost per month for houseing a koi at the breeder?
Good guess is all I need.

What you would be paying for is for a season (Summer), not month by month . I have heard people paying as much as $1,000 to leave a koi , but the avg. would be in the $250-$500 range . I also would say the price would be different from Japan or America . I am paying $100 to leave a 1 yr. old for the year , next year would be another $250 . Dont forget the Insurance which is the same price as the growout cost .

gonecadd
01-08-2007, 07:45 PM
I guess you are referring to Japanese breeders?

Some American breeders will hold them also but I haven't really heard a price for boarding.

Personally I think it's just silly to charge someone to board the fish. If the fish was never bought they would not had anyone to charge for its food and board.
UNLESS, your fish got special treatment.

Headache
01-08-2007, 10:58 PM
My koi is being held here in the states . My koi is going in a 1 to 1.5 acre mud pond in April 07' , with only 25-30 friends of the same size/sex . The koi will be fed 3-4 times a day + have all the mud , etc. that we can't dup. in a liner pond . So to me , she will be getting special treatment .

Here is a photo of the two koi I bought . The one on the left came home with me and the one on the right is the one that was picked by the breeder to stay . I'm looking forward to see the difference in growth they have over the summer .

farne230
01-26-2007, 07:55 AM
Great selection Headache. Wish you the best and please post when they finish thier summer vacation. I like your pick and I see why the breeder picked the one on the right. The tail stub is good size and it will see good growth. Congrads.. I still have not had the patience to leave a koi in Japan. Maybe one day.