PDA

View Full Version : "Master Gardeners" ???

SueSTx
07-27-2006, 10:20 AM
On this forum, are only true Master Gardeners supposed to respond, or can the common lay person make a comment if they have experience with the question? I don't want to be butting in if it isn't by place. :confused: :confused: :confused:

khoffman19
07-27-2006, 10:23 AM
As a person with the "title" I know there are members with far more experienced than I have.
I say EVERYONE is welcome to share their experience. IMHO

sweetpea
07-27-2006, 10:25 AM
Sue, I, personally don't see that as a problem.
Personal experience counts for a lot when it comes
to plants. Let's see what the majority is, OK?

Noahsnana
07-27-2006, 11:26 AM
Anyone can respond...

There are many Master Gardeners on this forum and many with experience to match by just getting down right dirty. It is just a place to get answers to problems or questions.

Go for it

SueSTx
07-27-2006, 11:38 AM
I feel like the term "Master Gardener" might mislead some...especially me.

I am a cook by trade...I get paid for it...but I'd never refer to myself as a "Chef"

Bill OTMS
07-27-2006, 11:45 AM
Actually, a Master Gardener is a trained, certified horticulture volunteer for the local Cooperative Extension office. They go through 60+ hour of formal training and then an internship so that's the real definition of the title. On the other hand, experience counts just as much if not more. I've learned more from folks who've never been to the MG course so I think all tried and true advice is welcome. I'm organically focused so I'll always give the alternative approach to chemicals BUT that doesn't mean that those who know how to use the commercial methods are inaccurate.

SueSTx
07-27-2006, 12:03 PM
Bill...that is my reasoning for asking. I know what a "Master Gardener" is and would never dream to include myself. I feel maybe the title of this forum might be confusing. Also glancing down the list of post I see aquatic plant questions. Maybe we just need to set up some quide lines for us to use.

savannahrobinson
07-27-2006, 03:01 PM
I feel like the term "Master Gardener" might mislead some...especially me.

I am a cook by trade...I get paid for it...but I'd never refer to myself as a "Chef"

WOO HOO - got a good recipe for croissants? :D:

I'm DEFINATELY not a master gardener, but if a question is asked that I know the answer to - I think I will share what I know.

THe diff is, I don't know a whole lot... :dunce:

Joey S
07-27-2006, 03:50 PM
I am a cook by trade...I get paid for it...but I'd never refer to myself as a "Chef" Understand where you are coming from. My son trained at CIA in NY (not the spy guys!) but he never calls himself a chef - he, too is a cook. Many avid gardeners have as much expertise, but they never put in the hours to get the designation "Master Gardener" Same with KHA's. Many here have far more experience and probably knowledge :) but I put in the time to earn the credentials. Maybe just changing the forum title a bit would help :D:

danzcool
07-27-2006, 07:37 PM
What about changing the words around a little to something like "ask the gardening masters", then your not directly confusing the title "master gardener"

Swimming Jewel
07-27-2006, 08:39 PM
I was asked to come here by Bill OTMS.
I will bow out gracefully since I don't have my official certificate. :bow:

Sue I have met cooks that were MUCH better at cooking than a lot of chefs I know. :yes:

Roark
07-27-2006, 08:54 PM
On this forum, are only true Master Gardeners supposed to respond, or can the common lay person make a comment if they have experience with the question? I don't want to be butting in if it isn't by place. :confused: :confused: :confused:
Put it this way: They let **ME** in here, and the closest thing I come to gardening is making mulch out of unsuspecting plants (ack! Pthooey! Icky plants!!!).

Gotta git. Folks might thing I'm getting soft in my old age if I hang around with you Greenies. :) But you can stay. :)

Roark

Noahsnana
07-27-2006, 08:55 PM
I was asked to come here biy Bill OTMS.
I will bow out gracefully since I don't have my official certificate. :bow:

Sue I have met cooks that were MUCH better at cooking than a lot of chefs I know. :yes:

No way you know more than most with credentials lol

Bill OTMS
07-27-2006, 09:49 PM
No way you know more than most with credentials lol
Absolutely. :yes: :cool: :cool: :cool:

No official anything is needed. We're chasing a parked car...semantics...please back to the cool garden stuff and don't worry about badges...we don't need no stinking badges :eek:

Leekinneykoi
07-27-2006, 10:00 PM
Absolutely. :yes: :cool: :cool: :cool:

No official anything is needed. We're chasing a parked car...semantics...please back to the cool garden stuff and don't worry about badges...we don't need no stinking badges :eek:
:D: We all agree Joyce you have helped so many here and are the one every one turns to identify plants, so please say yes, you always help, The Garden Forum and Masters are just a special place for more ground plant lovers to post and share and get help.:yes:

SueSTx
07-27-2006, 10:40 PM
Please change the title "Master Gardeners"...if this is a forum for everyone then. "Master Gardeners" has a whole different meaning that "folks in the know".

I agree that a place to post "questions" is a good idea. I have posted questions before that never got answered or were answered I don"t know...but I am afraid that "Master Gardeners" will not only limit the answers but put too big a strain on those who are "Master Gardeners"!

I agree with danzcool...gardening masters :yes: :yes: :yes:

savannahrobinson
07-27-2006, 10:46 PM
Please change the title "Master Gardeners"...if this is a forum for everyone then. "Master Gardeners" has a whole different meaning that "folks in the know".

I agree that a place to post "questions" is a good idea. I have posted questions before that never got answered or were answered I don"t know...but I am afraid that "Master Gardeners" will not only limit the answers but put too big a strain on those who are "Master Gardeners"!

I agree with danzcool...gardening masters :yes: :yes: :yes:

What do you want to call it?

pskorf
07-27-2006, 10:55 PM
in a way do we need it but we do have an emergency section for the koi this is kind of a plant question section.would you post a question like my waterlily is dying what can i do.is this section for just land plants or needing help all all green ,water and land.
not that i have a name or anything good but some thoughts.

vipldy
07-27-2006, 10:58 PM
How do you all like " Ask The Gardeners" it includes all of you :yes:

Marie :)

Noahsnana
07-27-2006, 10:59 PM
in a way do we need it but we do have an emergency section for the koi this is kind of a plant question section.would you post a question like my waterlily is dying what can i do.is this section for just land plants or needing help all all green ,water and land.
not that i have a name or anything good but some thoughts.

Paul it should address all questions

pskorf
07-27-2006, 11:06 PM
i am in favor of the changes made.gives defenition on where things should go.when i am in main forum i do not want to see plants of waterlilies.when i want to see plants i can go to one section.this way when my i want to show a picture to my wife i will know where to find them instead of searching all of koiphen.if i want to buy something there is a different section for plants or others.

Noahsnana
07-27-2006, 11:11 PM
This is copy and pasted from the other thread....

My reasoning IMHO ... FYI this was my idea sorry I offended you all by trying to implement ideas to get post viewed and answered.

The Forum being called Watergardening... people were posting land pics in Main In Chit Chat and where ever else they figured they could because they weren't waterplants or ponds with plants. Bonsai was it's own entity, why? There are people here that can answer questions about plants that were getting lost... we divide them into their own section and post that have been there two week get answers because people that have the answers saw them.

So stone me I take full responsibility.
Cause I think it's a great idea

SueSTx
07-27-2006, 11:55 PM
This is a copy also. Night folks...

#45 7 Minutes Ago
SueSTx
Senior Member Join Date: Jun 2004

NN it is a wonderful idea ...it is just like saying

A John Deere is a tractor...true
but all tractors are not John Deere
but that doesn't mean they can't get the job done.

I will drop this subject now.
whatever will be will be...cascura cura (sp)

Noahsnana
07-27-2006, 11:57 PM
Thanks Sue

It now says "Ask the Gardeners"