PDA

View Full Version : Water lily wanted

Miah
07-18-2006, 04:41 PM
I am looking for a hardy lily that can cope with full sun all day. is pretty low mant after potted and set about 2.5' deep and will have large leaves.

I have a Mexicana now that is doing well, a bloom is working it's way up now and it has about 8 or 9 leaves on it. but it has mini little leaves.
I like it alot so far it has been pretty low maint. When i got it it only had 2 rough leaves on it and was pretty haggered.

I am maily looking for something cheep and will provide a decent amount of shade for my fish in this blistering summer.

Anybody know of a cheep Lily that can hadle harsh sun 100+ degree days and can be trimmed down for wintering in the pond. that will have good sized leaves and provide decent shade.

DesertPonder
07-18-2006, 05:49 PM
Stay away from the red varieties, the flowers and sometimes the pads will burn and shrivel up in the sun and dry heat we have in Colorado.

Colorado, Cynthia Ann, Sunrise, Pink Beauty all do really well for me. They grow fast and have a good spread, medium sized pads and do well in the heat and sun. Marliac Carnea is very heat tolerant and will often stay open in the heat longer than the other varieties.

Cheap is not always a good idea when it comes to water lilies. Cheap may get you a plant that is such a tiny start it may not survive or will take a year or two to establish. If you want to be sure you get the variety of lily you want it is better to buy from a trusted source.
You can shop Ebay for lilies. Check your local stores such as Walmart, Home Depot, Petsmart, etc. They may still have some available but are most likely wiped out by now. Watch the trade sections on the forums for lilies you could possibly trade for.

sunshine kathy
07-18-2006, 05:52 PM
You want a texas dawn.

Miah
07-18-2006, 06:19 PM
I guess cheep meaning I am not looking for an exotic or some hard to find type. I am looking for common type, maybe after a year or 3 I will get more Into plants and such and want special types is all I meant.

But definitly thanks for the input.

DesertPonder
07-18-2006, 06:31 PM
Any of the above mentioned varieties are common and pretty easily found on Ebay or from water lily plant suppliers and growers. :yes:

Bonnie-IN
07-18-2006, 06:55 PM
My suggestion would be to see what LouAnn, Tammie, Lorenzo or Kat here have to offer.

I believe Tammie and Lorenzo have tropicals only.

Lawanna can also be found at Koishack and American Ponders.

Good luck