PDA

View Full Version : Jasmine question

Loony
09-01-2004, 06:05 PM
I bought a confederate jasmine this spring. I know it isn't hardy and I need to bring it in. I'm in zone 5. What do I need to do before I bring it in? I don't want to bring in bugs and infest my houseplants. It has gotten pretty big over the summer and I'm wondering if it would be best to repot it in new soil and a new pot before I bring it in? I really don't want to lose this plant because it has been beautiful all summer. Also, how much light and water will it need in the house? I have to admit I don't have great luck overwintering plants. Can anybody help me?

Sarge
09-01-2004, 06:09 PM
I personally believe it will be alright as long as you put a good layer of mulch over it.

Loony
09-01-2004, 09:20 PM
Sarge, it's not in the ground. It's in a pot on the deck. My boss claims to have one that she left out last winter with mulch on it. I didn't figure it was safe to believe her because she has this tendency to lie. You really think it would make it? The tag said hardy to 32 degrees. We get a lot colder than that here. We put a dome over the pond for winter and I've considered putting it inside the dome if I can find a spot around the outside of the pond where it won't touch the side of the dome.

luke frisbee
09-01-2004, 09:47 PM
Whatever you do, horticultural sense would be to NOT repot it till next year....by now it is starting to become dormant and wont grow (or heal) if you damage the roots.
Next year, at the first sign of new growth repot it. Then again my main experience with repotting plants is with orchids.

Swimming Jewel
09-02-2004, 01:20 PM
Loony, one thing I can tell you FOR SURE is that confederate jasmine is NOT hardy where you live. Now the regular hardy type of jasmine vine MAY be hardy where you live, but not the tropical confederate jasmine.

Yes, you can try putting it under the pond dome, that might be the trick.

Loony
09-02-2004, 01:47 PM
Thanks guys, for the help. I guess I'll try the dome and see what happens.