PDA

View Full Version : Live Video of Chilodonella

Bonnie Hale
08-27-2004, 06:21 AM
I recently had a sick fish brought to me from a pond where the fish were dying in droves.

For those that are interested, I have a live video of chilodonella that I have added to my collection of parasites that attack fish.

I know this link works with windows media player but I am not sure it if will work with other media players.

Live video Chilodonella (http://www.bonniesplants.com/sick_injured_fish/chilodinella/chilodinella.htm)

There are also "still" pictures using a microscope on the same page. Oh yah and a photo of gill damage the chilodonella caused.

Bonnie

Randy Yeh Mon
08-27-2004, 06:34 AM
Must get me a scope soon.................. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

koibie
08-27-2004, 06:39 AM
Bonnie, those are great pics and the movie is great! Could you give some tips on how to distinquish Chilodonella from Tetrahymena (or however you spell it) I was seeing something similar on my fish, like a watermelon seed moving like a bumper car, and thought it was Tetrahymena, but maybe it was chilo. Are the two similar in size? size wise is chilo 1/2 the size or so of trichodina?

Bonnie Hale
08-27-2004, 07:05 AM
I have only seen tetrahymena a few times and if I come across it again, I will surely do a live video of it for my collection.

Below is a link that was posted on koivet about a year ago. I am not sure who did the video or I would give them credit for their work.

Tetrahymena (http://home.twcny.rr.com/lawgic/paras1.mpg )

But if you compare the 2 videos you will see that while they are similar, they are different. Tetrahymena is bigger than chilodonella. And Tetrahymena is more football shaped.

Chilodonella is described as being heart shaped and it does change shapes as it moves around. It is really cool to see them flip over under the scope.

The one in the video I did was on his "last legs" and not moving very fast because it took a while to get the camera and scope set up and to get the focus just right. And I actually did about 25 videos and picked the best one to use.

Bonnie

Artteach5
08-27-2004, 08:22 AM
Bonnie--could you please post at what magnification these pictures where taken (for scale sake). Thanks

Bonnie Hale
08-27-2004, 08:58 AM
The still photos are quite old and had a 10x objective and a 10x eye piece. Camera was an older Sony that uses floppy disks.

Last year I upgraded the eye piece on my microscope to a 15x eye piece.
So the video was done with 10x objective and a 15x eye piece. Camera is a newer Sony that does video.

The camera was zoomed as far as I could zoom it.

Bonnie

Noahsnana
08-27-2004, 06:46 PM
Amazing Bonnie - I hope I never see them in my neck of the woods.

Lee B
08-27-2004, 07:37 PM
Bonnie, great video!

Koibie, here is a comparison that may help. I get a little compulsive about collecting photos: in person, off *your* fish and under *your* scope, they never look like the samples in the books. So I collect as many as I can to compare MY bug with THIER bug. Unfortunately, many are not accredited as I don't know where they came from. This is one of those instances.

Lee

ripagrda
09-05-2004, 10:05 PM
Wow you guys are great ! Thanks for posting such awesome info. Now how to you kill either of those buggers if you get them. I keep a notebook with all of this info. Thanks,Stephanie

Meagain #1b
09-05-2004, 10:12 PM
THANK YOU for posting this information!! :)

Koimum
09-06-2004, 09:37 AM
Wow. I am glad this thread resurfaced.
Great video, Bonnie, and photos, Lee.
Thanks for posting.

JoAnn