PDA

View Full Version : Joyce... composted Manure..

Bonnie-IN
03-03-2006, 11:01 PM
Was it you that used Black Kow composted Manure??

Cowiche Ponder
03-04-2006, 01:14 AM
Don't know if it was that brand, but she did talk about using composted manure for lotus

Swimming Jewel
03-04-2006, 08:38 AM
No, I never used Black Kow.
I used another brand made in Canada that had a black and white spotted bag, looked like a cow. Rolling River or something like that. They stopped importing manure because of the Mad Cow Scare so I can't find it anymore. :(

Now I use a brand from Agway. Not as good. Also trying 'Hamptons Estate' compost. (buy it at Agway too) Seems OK...going to be potting up my new Bowl Lotus from Bonnie Hale in it. :)

pskorf
03-04-2006, 08:43 AM
wow
i know a good source will not to be to much filler.bring your own bag for a really good deal.at the farm we have some very old cow manure but the factory has been producing sheep manure lately.

Swimming Jewel
03-04-2006, 09:49 AM
pskorf, I am making my own compost with this composter my hubby gave me.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/SwimmingJewel/Misc%20Pix/composterP1010497.jpg
It's now about half filled with kitchen scraps and coffee grounds. Also teabags. And when those bags of salad greens go bad, they go in the composter. Also been putting all the trimmings from my house plants, eggs shells when we use eggs, and even put the hair from the dog and cat brushes in there. Also, when I change the gravel in the aquarium filters, in goes right in the composter. I am still trying to find a source for the composting red wigglers but no one around here sells them in the winter. I'm not going to buy them from eBay either cuz they are such a rip off. :rolleyes:

Cowiche Ponder
03-04-2006, 11:28 AM
That wouldn't work for as much stuff as I have to compost :rofl:

Swimming Jewel
03-04-2006, 11:31 AM
Besides, you have the best stuff in the world, rabbit poop! :cool:

tranquility
03-04-2006, 12:00 PM
:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:
By the way Joyce....I like your composter...to bad you don't live closer to me ...I just threw away a half dumpster full of dead hyacinth that got left out thru the winter..that would probably make good compost...I tried the compost pile thing...I just ended up with my dogs digging in it and the oppossums and skunks eating the old vegetables and peels....
Lawanna

Besides, you have the best stuff in the world, rabbit poop! :cool:

Swimming Jewel
03-04-2006, 03:28 PM
I couldn't get into the 'pile' either. :no:
Lotta work, and it has to be done outside.
This tumbler is in the basement under the stairs.
I tumble it 2x a week and so far there has been no odor at all. :)

Plus my new composter tumbles VERY easily and has a reservoir for compost tea in the bottom. I add about 2-3 tablespoons of the tea to my watering can when I water my indoor plants, and I dunk my orchid baskets and mounted orchids into a bucket of it.

Yup, those water hyacinths would have been perfect!
Lots of moisture, and lots of nitrogen! :yes:

tranquility
03-04-2006, 04:58 PM
I'm gonna have to look into getting me one of those :cool: :yes:
Lawanna

nanahanna
03-04-2006, 10:46 PM
I have a huge flower bed that is chock full of earthworms...big fat 'uns. They keep the soil loose and rich! My son and grandsons raid it every spring and summer when they want to go fishing! LOL

Noahsnana
03-04-2006, 10:54 PM
I am still trying to find a source for the composting red wigglers but no one around here sells them in the winter. I'm not going to buy them from eBay either cuz they are such a rip off. :rolleyes:

Try Sundan... he raises worms

Swimming Jewel
03-05-2006, 09:26 AM
nanahanna, I have TONS of earthworms here too, but the ground is frozen right now. When we had our long mild spell this winter I found quite a few and added them, but can't find any of them now. I think they died. :(

Noahsnana, thanks. Maybe I'll contact him. But really, in about a month, we will be all warmed up here and past our last frost date. All the bait shops around here will have the worms in a few weeks. I just have to be patient. :rolleyes:

Lawanna, hubby bought my composter off eBay for about $100. :cool:

pskorf
03-05-2006, 09:29 AM
mary
do you have worms under them rabbit pens?can be a nice little additional income or treat for the koi.