PDA

View Full Version : Goldfish Pellets and Flakes

Ronin-Koi
02-28-2006, 07:58 PM
In various readings across the net on goldfish food, there seems to be a lot of advice on soaking the food prior to feeding the goldfish. This is reportedly to prevent balance issues and future swimming disorders with these overweight, short-bodied, plump mutants. Supposedly, ryukin are particularly susceptible. :eek: :eek: :mad: :mad:

I haven't seen anyone on here mention soaking food yet. The concept is that the dried foods are so devoid of moisture and our little friends are such hungry bums, that they gobble the food up before it has time to soak up water. And that somehow this food contributes air to the digestive track of the fish? And that this might eventually lead to imbalance? I think. Others think this impacts the swim bladder. I'm not so sure unless the swim bladder is connected to the digestive system.

Then there is the floating food vs sinking food issue. Some claim floating foods cause the fish to ingest too much air so they end up floating or swimming upside down.

Any comments? Thoughts? There are a lot of different opinions out there. Do you soak your pellets and flakes? Do you use sinking or floating food?

Thanks!
- Wayne, has fed them both with and without soaking and it all gets gobbled the same way with no visible difference in the fish so far... but he has not had them for very long. He has also fed a couple brands of floating and a couple of sinking and has noticed no difference. :confused:

DesertPonder
02-28-2006, 09:32 PM
I feed my goldies floating pellets and the Wardley Crumbles. I don't soak the food first. I have a big pearlscale that is about the size of a golf ball. It has some floating problems and seems to do better if I feed the Crumbles rather than pellets.
They also get a homemade food several times a week.
I tried my goldies on a total homemade food diet for awhile but they just didn't seem to do that well so I added the pellets back to their diet. The homemade diet didn't seem to totally solve the floating problems.
I also give my fish peas and they also like leaf lettuce. :yes:

Sonny
02-28-2006, 09:40 PM
I try to soak pelletized food before giving it to full-bodied fish. I don't really know if it makes a difference or not. I also try to make sure they get a varied diet. At least three meals a day... one is pellet food, one is fresh vegetables (peas, lettuce, etc) and one is frozen (I have about 5 different frozen goldfish foods). They say "everything in moderation" so I just try to give them a variety. This time of year I am trying to give them orange wedges every day. The fancy goldies really seem to like them. Can't get my pond fish to appreciate the oranges though.

DarleneD
02-28-2006, 09:44 PM
I don't think it makes a bit of difference. Mine get dry floating pellets and flakes. No issues.

Susan Reed
02-28-2006, 09:47 PM
I don't think it makes a bit of difference. Mine get dry floating pellets and flakes. No issues.

same here

Cowiche Ponder
02-28-2006, 09:48 PM
I have fed mostly floating pellets, no soaking. I have added some flakes to the mix now for the catfish that is working the bottom.

Hermit_Canada
03-07-2006, 02:59 PM
In my indoor pond ... I feed a very small mixture of 2 types of floating pellets as well as some sinking mini-logs ... and soak them for about 3-5 minutes first.
I figure I want the fish to eat them "after" they expand ... and not eat them and then have them expand.
I also feed them a tablespoon of duckweed twice a day ... before I feed them the pellets.
Once a week (usually on Sundays) ... I feed them some thawed brine shrimp as a treat.
I lost several ryukin to bladder problem ... before I devised this method. There are still 3 that seem to go belly up occasionally ... after eating the floating pellets ... but I slide an 8" diameter x 4" deep floating plant basket under them ... and they float around in them on the pond surface until they manage to expel the air from their system. In the basket they aren't bothered by the other fish ... and can be calm.
When this happens ... if it lasts more than a half hour ... I also drop in a cut up pea ... and the fish righted itself shortly after ... and I've not lost one since.
It seems I bought several ryukins from the fish store with this problem ... and they knew it ... but didn't tell me until I lost a couple of them.
From everything I've read ... the bladder problem is from an inability to expel the air after they take it in on the surface. The peas act as a diuretics ... and may help to unblock the digestive system. I also read that sometimes ... as they grow ... they develop this condition ... and then as they continue to grow ... they outgrow it ... or not.
Because of this problem showing up in about half of my ryukin ... I'm switching to Sarasa ... but will continue to enjoy the very beautiful red/white ryukin I have ... until they either breed or pass away.
I love to watch them chug their little way across the outdoor pond in the summertime. They are slow ... powerful ... swimmers. They love the outdoor pond ... and I guess it feels a lot bigger to them .. than to the comets. However ... with this "floating upside down" problem ... I can see how they could fall easy prey to predators. I guess I'll be building an acrylic/metal 3' arched cover over the pond this spring. Maybe even hang some spider plants from the top of it and let their pup's float in the water.

emmalou
03-07-2006, 04:28 PM
Interesting Hermit.

Mine eat everything...pellets, flakes, crumles.frozen bloodworms, brineshrimp,tubiflex worms,they go silly over orange slices....not big on lettuce,they really move for salmon :D: I have never tried the peas yet.fresh...frozen would do?

Hermit_Canada
03-08-2006, 11:17 AM
I use the tiny little frozen baby peas ... and peel them ... then cut them into quarters ... and let them stand in a cup of pondwater for a couple minutes ... then feed them to the fishes.
They will come and take them right out of your fingers.
Yep ... mine like oranges too. I hear they also like watermellon.

koidoc
03-08-2006, 11:52 AM
Flake soaks itself as it hits the surface. And the frozen food is already wet

emmalou
03-08-2006, 12:21 PM
I use the tiny little frozen baby peas ... and peel them ... then cut them into quarters ... and let them stand in a cup of pondwater for a couple minutes ... then feed them to the fishes.
They will come and take them right out of your fingers.
Yep ... mine like oranges too. I hear they also like watermellon.

Yep :D: The koi do anyways.I haven't tried it with the goldies yet...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/emmaloudawg/liarm.jpg