PDA

View Full Version : ~ When Do Goldies Start To Breed ?

carlos
02-27-2006, 09:22 PM
Q: I'm asking for a fellow ponder, and I would like to know as well.
Being from southern Texas- our temps are very mild for winter.
Over the past week- they have stayed a fairly consistant low 60s.

In his watergarden- his pond is made with large football sized rocks. Plenty of gaps and crevices for the 4inch goldfish to zip into when pursued with a net.

He wants to get them all out, but the remaining 5 are the smartest and fastest.
Efforts are futil- and he fears with the temps continuing to raise it's only a matter of time they begin the ONSLAUGHT of reproduction :(

Can goldies ( commet goldfish ) begin to mate in water that is in the 60's ?

c

Lee B
02-27-2006, 09:54 PM
From what I understand, goldies become sexually mature about 30 minutes after they hatch :To funny:

But to answer your question, the closer the water temp gets to 70, the more likely they are to pursue amorous inclinations :rolleyes: . And then they won't need much of an excuse :no: .

I don't have any tricks for catching them, but good luck.

allen42
02-27-2006, 10:10 PM
One trick is at night with a very BRIGHT LIGHT and a large net , or a very dim light & a large net , I with lee On them breeding , they dont seem to need much of an excuse & with those Large rocks in there , the water will warm up faster as the rocks will help hold the heat during the night , good luck on catching the rest !!,,,

Sad & Cruel , BUT i think Superverm is for Koi Only because it will Kill Goldies ? I know its one of the Meds out there that wil in fact kill Goldies & SUPPOSED to leave the Koi alone , I am NOT saying to DO this BUT SOME MIGHT would hehehehe dunks & runs away

emmalou
02-27-2006, 10:13 PM
From what I understand, goldies become sexually mature about 30 minutes after they hatch :To funny: But to answer your question, the closer the water temp gets to 70, the more likely they are to pursue amorous inclinations :rolleyes: . And then they won't need much of an excuse :no: .

I don't have any tricks for catching them, but good luck.

:D: :D: :D: True..... :rofl:

My goldies outside haven't "produced" this year.too cool.......but it doesn;t take much to spur them on.a couple of days of warmer weather and the chase is on :sick:

Ronin-Koi
02-27-2006, 10:27 PM
Sad & Cruel , BUT i think Superverm is for Koi Only because it will Kill Goldies ? I know its one of the Meds out there that wil in fact kill Goldies & SUPPOSED to leave the Koi alone , I am NOT saying to DO this BUT SOME MIGHT would hehehehe dunks & runs away Superverm... new marketing campaign slogan. "Kill those unwanted pond vermin, the pesky GOLDFISH. Drop it in, and they drop dead!" :mad:

- Wayne, likes his goldfish... in the aquarium. :cool:

Susan Reed
02-27-2006, 10:31 PM
maybe drop the water level down some and then try to catch the buggers!!!

David Smothers
02-28-2006, 07:59 AM
I can tell you from experience that Superverm wil NOT kill ALL of your goldies.....damnit! I have tried to get rid of the pesky varmits and they continue to thrive. Last year I drained down the pond and removed 80 but a couple survived and even after a SV treatment most lived. Now I am up in the 15 range......ahhhhhhhhhh!!!!! THey will spawn as soon as the water temps start to get above 55.

CarolinaGirl
02-28-2006, 08:36 AM
Bright light and a net works well. Minnow trap baited with bread works well too, but only for the little ones. Maybe a few large mouth bass would work too. :yes: :yes: :yes:

Noahsnana
02-28-2006, 01:34 PM
From what I understand, goldies become sexually mature about 30 minutes after they hatch :To funny:

:To funny: :To funny:
funny but true except for the ones you want to breed

Cowiche Ponder
02-28-2006, 01:39 PM
I am convinced that all my wakins are males... no babies... :no:

Meg
02-28-2006, 09:58 PM
try one of these :rolleyes:

pandora
02-28-2006, 10:02 PM
I found little teeny tiny, itty bitty, microscopic baby goldfish in my goldfish pond last year in January . . . . :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: And I have about 4 of those big ole frogs that hang out there . . . If the frogs are eatin em, they are being replaced with new onset so quick I don't even notice . . . . :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Ronin-Koi
02-28-2006, 10:18 PM
Ahem. For a GOLDFISH forum, you all sure do seem hostile towards the goldies. I'm sure Darlene will be reaching for her shot gun soon.

- Wayne, will try very hard to resist the tempation to put his goldfish into his pond.

carlos
03-01-2006, 08:34 PM
hahahha- heyyyyyyyyyyyy ! I posted this in the MAIN FORUM--- the moderator moved the post here ?!?! c

tranquility
03-02-2006, 01:06 PM
I'm gonna have to drain my pond before long..I had the bright idea...keep the shubbies in the top basin of the koi pond...that way they are still seperate..Right? Wrong...I didn't stop to think eggs travel down stream...now I have a whole pond of shubbies :mad: :mad: I blame it on the fact I'm blonde :D:
Lawanna