PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about lillies

Frank Sinatra
08-20-2004, 09:53 AM
On a whim, I bought a hardy lilly that had a bloom about a month ago. I put it in the stream and then I worried it wouldn't do well there with the moving water. The bloom that was on it when I bought it died quickly as there was a lot of jostling around when I first put it in. OK, I killed the bloom.
Then it sprouted a couple of new leaves and about a week ago I saw a new bloom forming. The new bloom opened yesterday and it looks great.
Do lillies like moving water? or am I just lucky because they don't like moving water and my luck will go away?
howard

JgR
08-20-2004, 09:57 AM
Frank there is a thread about a plant chat this Saturday night. Kntry is soliciting questions for the chat

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3382

koiingaround
08-20-2004, 10:06 AM
NO!!! Lily's do not like moving water...

You are just lucky and the fact that it is a hardy lily...most lily's won't even put up new leaves if they are too close to the movement that a waterfall makes going into the pond!!! Or a spitter for that matter...

If you want it to really perform for you...move it to the pond...there are lots and lots of aquatic plants that will do great in a stream!!!

Frank Sinatra
08-20-2004, 12:38 PM
I'm not sure what the "boss" has on my schedule for Saturday but I may be able to make it to the chat.
KA - that's what I thought. The lilly is not very close to the actual waterfall but it is in moving water. I am reluctant, though to put it in the pond. I did that with a couple of lillies several years ago and spent the whole summer screwing around with it to keep the koi away from the leaves and roots, etc. These plants never did do well.
I have a rush in the stream that I am about to take out as it is almost dead for some reason.
Once out, I will be able to divert the water flow around the lilly. Do you think this will give me a better chance to keep the lilly in the stream?
howard

gander
08-20-2004, 12:39 PM
I have some small lilies near my falls that seem to do ok and they are in moving water.gary