PDA

View Full Version : Winter outdoors?

Noahsnana
01-12-2006, 12:25 PM
What species of goldies are not safe to winter outside...

Art you know our winters... typically not to bad for long.

I have wintered common goldies in 500 gals outside so I know they will survive but the more delicate... or wakins, does anyone do this?

DesertPonder
01-12-2006, 12:30 PM
It depends on what climate you are in.

It really isn't the best thing to overwinter the fancy goldies in the really cold climates. Orandas, Ryunkins, etc. will overwinter o.k. in the warmer climates. My one very large Oranda lives in the big kiddie pool in the summer but I bring him back indoors to the aquarium for the winter. I would never leave him outside for the winter.

Sonny
01-12-2006, 12:45 PM
Mine stay outside year round. Of course, our winters are much milder than most. One of my Orandas has a swim bladder problem. When it gets really cold he struggles more than usual (can't stay upright). So, this winter I put a 300 watt heater in their tank to keep it at 68 degrees. He seems much happier.

CarolinaGirl
01-12-2006, 12:46 PM
Someone told me that Fancy goldies shouldn't be colder than 50, but Wakins and comets are OK colder than that.

DarleneD
01-12-2006, 01:27 PM
My pond only went down to 58 degrees this winter, but it caused problems ... I think that's why my goromo oranda got sick. So I had to buy another heater for the pond and right now I have the temp at 70 degrees. The wakins seemed ok ... but the rest of them were huddled in the warm spot of the pond. I won't be doing that again.

bhamlinda
01-12-2006, 01:54 PM
I had 2 black moors in a 60 gallon preform pond one year - got the pond late and only got that deep part underground. It got down to 8 one night that year -had about 4" of ice except right in the center where the pump was. They did just fine and had the reddest comet babies I've ever seen.

rme1964
01-12-2006, 02:19 PM
I have not tried any of the fancy goldfish but the cold does not seem to bother my Wakins. For this month the water temp has been between 50 to 53 degrees.

RME

koidoc
01-12-2006, 04:20 PM
I have never kepted koi under 55 degrees???

pandora
01-12-2006, 04:30 PM
My big ole round roly-poly goldfish and shubunkins are on their second winter outside, but as you know, our winters are not very severe. We have some cold spells when the temp can go down to below 0, but usually for just a day or two, and then it could be up the the 60s again in the next few days. Our pond did have a thin coat of ice once last year. They don't seem to be any worse for the wear . . . . This pic is of the round ones when they were young, so you can see what kind they are . . . They are much bigger and rounder now . . . . I have read that wakins are hardier than most goldfish . . . .

http://pond.thegingerichs.net/files/goldfish2-20b.jpg

Noahsnana
01-12-2006, 04:36 PM
Patti our weather runs with TN KY and IN seems your fronts hit us maybe a day or two later most times... we have severe winter when it comes from the south where I am. My koi do fine and goldies have I just don't want to push fancies if I don't have the ability to have them inside.

gray cat
01-12-2006, 05:31 PM
I have keep Shubunkins, Sarrasa's and Comets outside for the last 4 winters. :yes:

Pa. Nancy
01-12-2006, 06:42 PM
I have keep Shubunkins, Sarrasa's and Comets outside for the last 4 winters. :yes:

Yep those fish are O.K. Nancy, and Wakins they are even hardier so I have read.

NN in your area I don't think I would leave any of those fancy guys outside. :no:

Lynne
01-12-2006, 09:22 PM
Last winter zone 6 for me I kept my shubs, fantails, black moors, sarrasas, and comets all outside in a 1000 gal pond, two feet deep with a deicer and a spitter to keep the ice open and they did just fine! This year with the addition of a almost 5000 gal. pond I have Koi and Wakins outside this winter too, but they are all under the comfort of a pond dome :D: wanted to make sure they were all comfortable. The water on both ponds haven't frozen over at all :cool: The new pond is between 3.5 to 4 ft deep.

Meg
01-12-2006, 09:59 PM
Mine stay outside year round. Of course, our winters are much milder than most. One of my Orandas has a swim bladder problem. When it gets really cold he struggles more than usual (can't stay upright). So, this winter I put a 300 watt heater in their tank to keep it at 68 degrees. He seems much happier.
thanks, now I know mine is not alone. she is ok but I can tell she is much happier in the warmer weather :rolleyes:

Cowiche Ponder
01-13-2006, 04:03 AM
It's too much fun to have the goldies inside to leave them out. The wakins have done fine outside with water temps as low as 36 here. Last winter they had thin ice over their pool at times even in the greenhouse. This year they have a heater in their pool :rolleyes: Spoiled fish

Roger Thompson
01-16-2006, 02:25 PM
My wife and I have kept numbers of fish outside through zone 4/5 winters in a 2500 gallon pond which is 4 feet deep. I float a pair of light bulbs in a truck tire inner tube out on the pond surface to keep a hole open in the ice. . We can have -20 degree days and the ice on the pond can be several inches thick for months at a time. This is our nineth winter. We have kept koi, comets, shubunkins. fantails successfully. What other varieties can be kept in these conditions?

Roger :)