PDA

View Full Version : Really Ugly Koi...

koiingaround
12-12-2005, 09:00 PM
Lets say you have the max koi you can have in your pond and over stocking is one of the koi keeping "laws" you really believe in...
And lets say that one of your koi you purchased at 5", and is now 20" looks nothing like the koi classification you were told it was
AND in~face is one of the ugliest koi you have ever laid eyes on...
You have had it for 2 years now waiting to see if anything will change, but this ugly koi just keeps getting uglier!!!

In your honest opinion what would you do???

***For discussion sake please be truly honest and give your opinions about what to do with the ugly koi
and give your opinions on what other's say as well!!!***

Valarc
12-12-2005, 09:02 PM
As I just said in a similar thread, put it on JKO, list its "estimated value" at some ridiculously high number, and point out what a unique and rare treasure it is :rolleyes:

ma barker
12-12-2005, 09:07 PM
I would find somebody new to the hobby....and offer them the fish. Actually, I did give several fish to a ponder in my county last year...he was tickled to death to get them. :yes: And they are still doing well under his care.

koiingaround
12-12-2005, 09:09 PM
I would find somebody new to the hobby....and offer them the fish. Actually, I did give several fish to a ponder in my county last year...he was tickled to death to get them. :yes: And they are still doing well under his care.

We are talking about a koi that no one would want taking up space in their pond!!!
Even a newbie that is looking at your other koi and asking "what is wrong with that one???" as he points at the ugly koi...

ma barker
12-12-2005, 09:10 PM
There is always 'somebody' who would want them......people even buy Bickal's koi....:To funny:

Blammo
12-12-2005, 09:10 PM
Toss it in the yard and run it over with the mower :rolleyes:

ma barker
12-12-2005, 09:11 PM

Now Doug. :mad: You know that would dull the mower blades. :no:

koiingaround
12-12-2005, 09:12 PM

Blammozzz...are you serious???

timiny
12-12-2005, 09:17 PM
hmmm...you talking about any koi in particular Charmie?

koiingaround
12-12-2005, 09:19 PM
hmmm...you talking about any koi in particular Charmie?

lol...got ya worried??? :eek:

timiny
12-12-2005, 09:20 PM
nah....well maybe just a little :rolleyes: (j/k)

lilhelper
12-12-2005, 09:27 PM
LOL u payed no attention to the koi, all you cared about its the lawnmower.
it like if you have an ugly kid, just sell them on ebay or the black market.

well its kinda like this, your "ugly kid" wrecks the car, you say to the doctor in the E.R. while on the phone with him, "IS MY CAR OK?"

lol

ma barker
12-12-2005, 09:28 PM
Blammozzz...are you serious???

Charmie....do you really have to ask? :p: Some things you are better off not knowing. :yes:

koiingaround
12-12-2005, 09:29 PM
nah....well maybe just a little :rolleyes: (j/k)

Well...I was really wondering what a true koi kichi person would do if this happened to them...

But in~fact I do have a koi that I have never been happy with...

He was supposed to be a Hajiro but he looks nothing like that...

I was told by a non~koi person that if he had a fish that ugly in his aquarium that it wouldn't be there long...that an ugly fish eats, poops and takes up just as much space as a pretty one...the only difference is that the pretty one makes you smile!!! :eek:

This is a Hajiro...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/crichardson/Misc%20Shots/haijiro_002.jpg
This is the one in my pond...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/crichardson/My%20Fish/haijiro3.jpg

koiingaround
12-12-2005, 09:30 PM
Charmie....do you really have to ask? :p: Some things you are better off not knowing. :yes:

Sometimes you just never know when Blammozzz is concerned!!! :eek:

ma barker
12-12-2005, 09:30 PM
LOL u payed no attention to the koi, all you cared about its the lawnmower.
it like if you have an ugly kid, just sell them on ebay or the black market.

well its kinda like this, your "ugly kid" wrecks the car, you say to the doctor in the E.R. while on the phone with him, "IS MY CAR OK?"

lol

Hey Little help....it was a joke. :D: :D: :D: Maybe not a good joke....but a joke just the same. :p:

lilhelper
12-12-2005, 09:37 PM
.................................................. .................................................. ......................................yea......... ........went........to...far.....there. need to come back to your small sense of understanding, sorry there!
AHAHAHAHHAHA lol JK

Valarc
12-12-2005, 09:50 PM
In all seriousness, I'd probably donate the koi to the Atlanta club's koi auction. There's always someone who just wants big fish, and could care less how pretty it is.

lilhelper.... maybe it's time to give up caffiene?

lilhelper
12-12-2005, 09:53 PM
yeah thats true i was like that, i want big koi, i hated having small koi, now i dont care, i know they are gonna get bigger

pandora
12-12-2005, 10:18 PM
Who picked it out? Our ugliest ones were picked out by our kids . . . . :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

timiny
12-12-2005, 10:19 PM
He's not that ugly, he is just a little pigmentally challenged!

Fishbreeder
12-12-2005, 10:32 PM
Once they reach 20 or more inches we call 'em "Big Uglies".

Big uglies have several varying fates around here.

Best fate is reserved for beloved pets no longer belonging in collections, they get tossed into cattle watering ponds to keep the weeds clear.

Worst fate is to be hacked up with a machete and fed to the blue catfish brooders.

Somewhat better than being hacked up with a machete, some end up steamed with ginger. When I asked the customer why he liked my koi steamed with ginger I was told, "You sell them cheaper than the supermarket."

Brett

ma barker
12-12-2005, 10:33 PM
So how do they taste? :confused:

Valarc
12-12-2005, 10:34 PM
So how do they taste? :confused:

Like ginger mixed with ***

savannahrobinson
12-12-2005, 10:37 PM
Ugly koi belong in zoos. :D:

Fishbreeder
12-12-2005, 10:39 PM
Well...

Kinda like a water turkey.

When the game warden wanted to know what the water turkey tasted like I told him about halfway between a whooping crane and a bald eagle.

Grass carp steamed with ginger tastes fine. I never tried to eat a common carp or a koi before. They seem quite popular with some ethnic groups around here.

Brett

ma barker
12-12-2005, 10:40 PM
No thanks. :D: I'll stick with striper. ;)

lilhelper
12-13-2005, 12:00 AM
hmm they say carp are ok tasting, but they are a dirty trashy fish in the wild.
but in ponds theyre like the Rich eating the finest foods, so they cant be that bad.

Cowiche Ponder
12-13-2005, 01:44 AM
still wonder about making them into pet food... Blamm if you can send it over to me after the mower? Wanna see if the grinder can handle them

koiingaround
12-13-2005, 04:49 AM
He's not that ugly, he is just a little pigmentally challenged!

:cool: Well then he is going to love you!!!
And maybe he will even become friendly to you as he has never come close to the side of the pond when I am feeding...
He did grow really fast too...
So he may very well become a big koi!!! :yes:

koiingaround
12-13-2005, 04:53 AM
Once they reach 20 or more inches we call 'em "Big Uglies".

Big uglies have several varying fates around here.

Best fate is reserved for beloved pets no longer belonging in collections, they get tossed into cattle watering ponds to keep the weeds clear.

Worst fate is to be hacked up with a machete and fed to the blue catfish brooders.

Somewhat better than being hacked up with a machete, some end up steamed with ginger. When I asked the customer why he liked my koi steamed with ginger I was told, "You sell them cheaper than the supermarket."

Brett

Brett...

It sounds like you agree with my aquarium friend about ugly fish taking up space???

I like the cattle watering ponds idea...only I don't have one of those ;)

As far as steaming them with some ginger...no than you :sick: