PDA

View Full Version : Quarenteen question

Dave
10-03-2005, 07:55 AM
Hi,

When buying/getting new fish how many of you first quarenteen the fish?

And if you do, do you also treat the fish just in case??

What would you treat the fish with, Potasium Permanganet? Salt?

What would be a good period of time to keep new addition in Q, before adding to your pond??

Thanks

Dave

savannahrobinson
10-03-2005, 08:05 AM
Always quarantine.
Minimum 21 days.

CarolinaGirl
10-03-2005, 08:08 AM
I always Quarentine a new fish, no matter who it came from. Differnet people do different things, so I'll just tell you what I do. After the new fish arrives, I give it a few days to settle in. Then I treat it with ProformC and Prazi to kill any nasties it might have. Note here....it would be better to check it with a microscope for parasites and treat what it has, but I am not that comfortable with my abilities to find bugs so I prefer to treat all fish as though they might be infected. After the 10 day proform C treatment, I'll take an existing fish from my herd and add it in with the new guy. This is to make sure that they won't make each other sick. The temp is also important. If a fish is infected with KHV, it needs temps above 72 to become active. So I make sure the fish Quarantines at temps above 72 for the whole time, for a month or so. If the fish is from an unknown breeder, it will Q for 6 weeks minimum. If the fish came from a well known source (or breeder) who I trust, the Q time might be shortened to just a few weeks, but there are very few people who I trust that much. If the fish is a japanese import, I would possible even extend the Q-time to maybe 8 weeks because of KHV.

Graham
10-03-2005, 08:10 AM
And unless there is a problem, meds, including salt should not be used. A good scrape and scope after several days of settling in should be done. Then if there is something....... kill it with the right med

G

Edit see how we all do it different..CG nails them ''just in case'' and I nail them when there's something to nail

CarolinaGirl
10-03-2005, 08:16 AM
Edit see how we all do it different..CG nails them ''just in case'' and I nail them when there's something to nail

that's 'cause you are good at finding the things that need nailing....and I am not :p:

Dave
10-03-2005, 02:55 PM
Thanks alot guys, that helped alot. Looking to get some new fish soon and wanted to make sure i did everything right.

P.S sorry about the brain dead moment i had with the spelling of quarentine. Counting too many beans i guess. :sick: :sick:

;)

saltiery
10-03-2005, 05:19 PM
If you are pretty familiar with your source, you can Q for 3 weeks at 75*F and treat as need be.
If you're buying from a show, Japanese importer, unknown source, I'd treat with proform C (at 1 and1/2x the dose) and Prazi to kill costia immediately. Costia and Chilo often attack weakened fish and will often mask the presence of a KHV infected fish. Raise the temps in the Q to 75*F and wait 3 weeks. If no other instances, add a fish from your pond with the new fish. Often fish are resistant to the bugs they carry and it will take a "canary" from your pond to catch the incoming critters. If nothing else arises, scrape , scope and release to your herd.