PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Goldfish, Teach ART

koidoc
09-23-2005, 12:52 PM
Need your help Darlene and others. I have never bred goldfish before but when I saw these two fish together I am tempted. Here is what I have so far. Moved the two to a 20 gal tank with sponge filters. Three large floating plastic plants. 2 tbsp salt and 74 degrees.
I am not sure on sexing, but when I put these two together they were bumping each other and nibbling around the others anal regions?
Now what? Change water how often to induce?
If spawn take out pair as soon as see done?
Then what? Temp OK. How long to hatch? any meds? Prep any food. What is the easiest. Mortar and pestle some flake? When do they start eating?
Any help would be good. Thought would try once!!!
Now you can teach me.
Can you tell by photo the sex? I am thinking Black is male and blue is female. Chaser ,chasee. Head growth. Female softer cheeks. Am I just guessing?

DarleneD
09-23-2005, 01:14 PM
I just love those two.

Art my only experience at breeding has been purely accidental and very rare. I have never bred on purpose, and very rarely see babies, since my fish are all caviar connoisseurs. :sick:

But here is what I have noticed ... mine will spawn usually into the pot that has sweet flag in it with a layer of gravel on top of the pot. This usually happens after a large (30%+) water change. If the water change coincides with a waning full moon, there is a LOT of spawning.

In your tank, I'd suggest you get those larger rocks out and put in one of those fake plants (they make silk ones that are soft). Anchor them, or attach a lead weight. My fish like to spawn onto something, not into something. After spawning you will need to take the proud parents out, and have reconstituted shrimp brine available. I think Ocean Nutritions has a good one and I believe Aquatic Eco carries it. I am not sure about crushing brine flakes. Also from AE, buy some of the frozen cubes of blood worms and shrimp brine. This is good to feed a little later down the road. All of your fish will enjoy the frozen blood worms. As they begin to thaw in the tank, the worms are propelled away from the cube and it makes them look alive ... makes the goldies nuts (in a good way).

Treatment will be required for the eggs in the way of anti-fungus. I think MG is frequently used for that, but check me on that. Do you have Doc J's goldie book? Yes, he's got a lot of fubar info in there, but I think there is good stuff on breeding. As for hatching, a couple of days I think.

Like I said, any spawning in my pond is accidental, messy, stinky and pretty much fruitless other than the fish love the eggs. I don't know nuthin' 'bout birthin' no babies! :rolleyes:

I really do like your breeding pair and would guess the same as you for the sex. You might want to take the supposed female out and see if she has an 'outy' moreso than an 'inny' -- take the other one out and compare. Also of course the female will be wider in front of the caudal when viewed from above. But what is the best gauge is who chases whom (not sure if that's good English!). Although I've heard stories of the chasers and chasees being all mixed up. However, my pond has a policy of 'don't ask don't tell.' :D:

Art I am honored that you would ask me for info. I know that you are much more informed than I about how to select great goldfish. In my favor, I do spend hours watching my goldies, and when they are sleeping, many more hours with my head in a book about goldies ... and koi. :yes:

Need your help Darlene and others. I have never bred goldfish before but when I saw these two fish together I am tempted. Here is what I have so far. Moved the two to a 20 gal tank with sponge filters. Three large floating plastic plants. 2 tbsp salt and 74 degrees.
I am not sure on sexing, but when I put these two together they were bumping each other and nibbling around the others anal regions?
Now what? Change water how often to induce?
If spawn take out pair as soon as see done?
Then what? Temp OK. How long to hatch? any meds? Prep any food. What is the easiest. Mortar and pestle some flake? When do they start eating?
Any help would be good. Thought would try once!!!
Now you can teach me.
Can you tell by photo the sex? I am thinking Black is male and blue is female. Chaser ,chasee. Head growth. Female softer cheeks. Am I just guessing?

Cowiche Ponder
09-23-2005, 01:21 PM
Art I hope they are a pair and they do spawn and SEND SOME BABIES TO ME!!! :yes:

A lovely couple..maybe some soft music piped in? Can yah tell I know NOTHING about spawning any fish.... My mollies and guppies always did their thing well :rolleyes:

DarleneD
09-23-2005, 01:28 PM
Just curious Art ... why are you using salt?

Koi Story
09-23-2005, 01:28 PM
There is a long series of articles in E-mail Rinko (Starting June 15, 2002) named "What is a Ranchu A manual for those who learn from the very beginning." The author is Toshikazu Kato; it includes breeding, culling, and other subjects.

ks

DarleneD
09-23-2005, 01:29 PM
There is a long series of articles in E-mail Rinko (Starting June 15, 2002) named "What is a Ranchu A manual for those who learn from the very beginning . The author is Toshikazu Kato; it includes breeding, culling, and other subjects.

ks
KS, where can I get those articles? Thanks for the tip :yes:

koidoc
09-23-2005, 01:57 PM
Weighed down the plants and changed 25% water. and turned the lights down.
I use salt for new shipment. Seems to perk them up faster

schildkoi
09-23-2005, 01:59 PM
Art, you have gone to the dark side...I am telling Bob on you! :)

Steve

DarleneD
09-23-2005, 02:04 PM
Come on iiiiiiiiinnnnnn Steve. The water's fiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnneeeeeeeee!!!!

koidoc
09-23-2005, 02:22 PM
You mean Bob the leader of the Darkest Side.

Koi Story
09-23-2005, 02:26 PM
Thanks Darlene,
There are over 27 articles in almost every other issue as of June 15, 2002. My last issue is Oct. 2004, I don't know if the articles are still being published. These are in PDF files, don't know how to send them to you. :confused:
This is the link to Rinko online,
http://www.snkkoi.com/onlinerinko/index.html

ks

DarleneD
09-23-2005, 02:31 PM
Thanks Darlene,
There are over 27 articles in almost every other issue as of June 15, 2002. My last issue is Oct. 2004, I don't know if the articles are still being published. These are in PDF files, don't know how to send them to you. :confused:
This is the link to Rinko online,
http://www.snkkoi.com/onlinerinko/index.html

ks
Thanks KS. I will definitely look at them later ... after I vacuum the pond! :yes:

DarleneD
09-23-2005, 02:31 PM
You mean Bob the leader of the Darkest Side.
Who is Bob, what is the Darkest Side, and why is Bob there?? :confused: :confused: :confused:

emmalou
09-23-2005, 02:33 PM
Who is Bob, what is the Darkest Side, and why is Bob there?? :confused: :confused: :confused:
I think it has to do with"goldfish" :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

DarleneD
09-23-2005, 02:40 PM
I'm sure it is, I just want the juicy details!

koidoc
09-23-2005, 07:38 PM
Ok who has the Ham. I got eggs. Better learn something quick. They are still going. Remove in Morning?
Then what folks.

ackoi
09-23-2005, 07:41 PM
Ok who has the Ham. I got eggs. Better learn something quick. They are still going. Remove in Morning?
Then what folks.that was fast...i hope someone can help you art...and i hope that you will post pics of development.... i'll look up stuff in my books in a few mins.

DarleneD
09-23-2005, 07:44 PM
Then what folks.You can remove the parents as soon as she has released all her eggs.

If any of the eggs turn white, they are no good, scoop them out right away. As for how much to treat them with MG or other med, I am not sure and you might want to call Tommy or Ken.

Congratulations Grandpa! :D:

Edit: It is basically the same as koi babies, so drag out your books and git 'er done!!

sweetpea
09-23-2005, 07:44 PM
Art, you sure must have put on the right CD!!
That was fast!! :D: :D: :D:

DarleneD
09-23-2005, 07:46 PM
I think it was that nice Merlot he poured .... :rolleyes:

ackoi
09-23-2005, 07:47 PM
book says:

Care Of Eggs

About an hour after spawning, I take several steps to minimize the growth of fungus. I increase areation and restart mechanical filtration. I have also used methylene blue at 2 PPM to inhibit fungus with good results. Fungus attacks unfertilized eggs but will spread and engulf fertilized eggsas well, preventing them from hatching.

At a temperature of sixty-eight degrees, the fry hatch in about five days. Temperature has an effect on the male to female ration; at temperatures higher than sixty-eight degrees, more males are produced. A day or so before hatching, I stop filtration and decrease areation, to reduce turbulance at hatching. I also lower the water depth to 6 inches, so that the young fry hatch in shallow water. This is critical, as they must fill their swim bladders with air at the surface, and deep water will hinder this.
from Fancy Goldfish by Dr. Erik L. Johnson, D.V.M and Richard E. Hess

Meg
09-23-2005, 11:04 PM
:yes: those are going to be some pretty babies :yes:
good luck :cool:

Tired and overworked
09-24-2005, 10:21 PM
I wish you well grandpop, they are pretty fish. :D: Maryann :D:

Lynne
09-24-2005, 10:45 PM
Try a Barry White cd :D:

cindy
05-30-2007, 11:14 PM
update?

Ateeq
03-29-2017, 06:06 AM
Hello KS,
Can you please email me the Pdfs, many thanks.
Ateeq