PDA

View Full Version : Question for the chemists

seanmckinney
09-05-2005, 11:03 AM
How well would the alkali, hydroxyl ion? from cement disperse through stationary water overnight? I am doing some cementing over the edge of the veggie filter and some cement is dropping in. It's too awkward to reach and vac the drops out whilst the cement is soft but doable when the cement is 'set'. The pump 'driving' the filter is off whilst the cement is setting.
The filter probably holds 80 odd US gal and I was wondering if its daft to just vac out the drops the following morning. I dropped a fair bit of cement in last night so this morning I actually dumped all the water but that's a fair quantity of water to waste.

savannahrobinson
09-05-2005, 11:07 AM
check your ph - :)
I'm no chemist, but I would assume complete dispersion - that is, a homogenous ph throughout the water body.

seanmckinney
09-05-2005, 11:14 AM
In that case dumping etc will be the answer.

savannahrobinson
09-05-2005, 11:47 AM
Didja test? You'd be surprised in a large body of water how little a wee bit o' concrete will change things...

seanmckinney
09-06-2005, 06:19 AM
no I didnt, just dumped the water.

mstrseed
09-06-2005, 07:44 AM
On my first pond I grouted after I had fish in it and some mortar dropped into the pond. I was unable to tell any change in PH, just some Koi sniffing around it. :eek: