PDA

View Full Version : How Often Do You Pp ???

Bonnie-IN
08-26-2005, 11:11 PM
I read on another forum that someone was using PP every 3 weeks, which I thought seemed extreme. :eek:
UNTIL......
Another person mentioned that you can use it every week at a low doseage!

Truthfully...... how often do you use PP,what dosage and WHY?

Thanks,
Bonnie

Ruth
08-26-2005, 11:26 PM
Ummmmmm ......never. :no:

mstrseed
08-26-2005, 11:33 PM
I use it only when I want to kill everything. Only once in 3 years.

Ruth
08-26-2005, 11:39 PM
I don't want to jinx my self so I'll say I keep it on hand. I did treat a wound once with it and I have used it in the water garden at the end of a season but not in the koi pond.

Koin-Onia
08-27-2005, 02:34 AM
Roddy I think uses it to refresh the water I think

savannahrobinson
08-27-2005, 04:10 AM
Only if I suspect trichodina.
We used it ONCE to kill algae, in an extremely foul water condition.

Basically, its strong medicine....

68bruin
08-27-2005, 04:56 AM
It's been quite awhile since I've used it but I used it to "cauterize" wounds such as ulcers ( in addition to antibiotic injections ) or on fin rot, mouth rot ( can't let it get into gill area ), or after scraping off carp pox. It leaves a dark stain which gradually disapperas in a few days as healing occurs. I found that iodine or debride will do almost as good a job without worrying about the severity of pp.

Haven't had to do any health Tx on my fish in over a year but the way I did the above was to put a teaspoon of the pp in a plastic cup, add a few drops of pond water to make a paste that was NOT runny, and precisly dab the paste on the specific site with a Q-tip.

I never quite got up the nerve to dose my pond with it , though.

hacnp
08-27-2005, 07:43 AM
In the winter I close the valves to the settling tank and put 15 Grams in the tank (4 parts per Million). I do this about once a month. It is my water change when it is too cold to be running the spitter (fresh water trickle). The rest of the year I run a 400 to 500 Gal a day trickle of water to the pond.
I have also put in a half a part per million dose when a neighbor sprayed for Japanese Beatles.

MCA
08-27-2005, 08:31 AM
as needed,,,like salt, proform or other chemical. Chemicals only go in when a specific problem justifies it. the only regular additives are ST and clay.....

Roddy Conrad
08-28-2005, 03:21 PM
I use PP daily in my ponds, and have done so for the last 8 years. But that is at a low dosage rate, just enough to react away all the Dissolved Organic Carbon (DOC) in the pond water. That is usually 0.5 ppm dose rate, depending on the pond and its history. For a dirty pond that has not had PP treatment in some time, I start with a 1 ppm dose and redose according to how long the purple/pink coloration lasts. If the purple/pink coloration is gone in less than 5 minutes, I immediately redose until it lasts longer. If the purple/pink coloration lasts longer than 30 minutes, I drop either the dose amount or the dose frequency.

This is PP usage to keep the water quality high. When using PP for parasite treatment, an entirely different dose protocol is required. The high dose rates, typically 2 to 4 ppm, should be used only when trying to kill parasites, In My Opinion.

sundan
08-28-2005, 03:27 PM
Roddy,
If you are using pp at low amounts each day, would like to ask how it effects your alage in your pond? Do you have any...is it bright green,dark green, black? Will it kill alage?

stephen
08-28-2005, 03:51 PM
How Often Do You Pp ???

:( The ol' prostate ain't what it used to be:no:

Roddy Conrad
08-28-2005, 04:58 PM
When using low level PP myself in my own outdoor ponds, the bright green algae on the wall grows okay for the koi to nibble, and there is no string algae ever to see. Also no green water algae, of course.

Even in the main indoor koi pond with is 1000 watt metal halide grow light, some algae still grows in the wall for the koi to nibble. Otherwise, no algae to be seen in either the outdoor or indoor ponds. Oh, excuse, almost forgot, some string algae DOES grow in the lava rock fountain trickle tower filters on the "water garden" ponds full of lilies, lotus, golden orfes, and Sarrassa comet goldfish. But not in the pond itself.

Bonnie-IN
08-28-2005, 06:21 PM
Wow Roddy, And to think that I originally thought that once every 3 wks was extreme! ;)

Now tell me this, do you think using it for pond maintenance is also beneficial for the fish in the long run? Healthier water = Healthy Fish ??

Does using it as regular maintenance affect the slime coat?

Also, I've always wondered but didn't want to ask a "stupid" question........
Have you ever be concerned about getting in your pond, with regular use of PP?

Sorry about all the questions....

Thanks much,
Bonnie

** Roddy, shame to see a Jarrett vs. Newman fued**
(Jarrett is my fav, while Newman is yours)

Bonnie-IN
08-28-2005, 06:26 PM
How Often Do You Pp ???

:( The ol' prostate ain't what it used to be:no:

LOL, yes Stephen ....... how do you think that us women feel.
Some have gone thru childbirth, it can do a number on ya! :eek: Kagels

Bet you don't have to worry when you sneeze!

Roddy Conrad
08-28-2005, 07:14 PM
Bonnie: Now tell me this, do you think using it for pond maintenance is also beneficial for the fish in the long run? Healthier water = Healthy Fish ??

Roddy: In My Opinion, In Qualified Hands, the resounding answer is YES, healthier water from regular low level PP treatment = healthier fish. In fact, when I started using regular PP treatment is when all my problems with ulcers on my koi permanently went away to never return. Also, I have taught some ponders who had "rock bottom ponds" (read Aquascape design) to use low level PP treatment to clean up their ponds, and the ulcers on their fish disappeared without any other treatment, meaning they did not have to use antibiotic injections to cure them.

Bonnnie: Does using it as regular maintenance affect the slime coat?

Roddy: At the low levels I use for pond maintenance, "I don't think so". But trying to give you an absolutely honest answer to this question, "I don't really know nor do I really care" whether low level PP treatment hurts the slime coat, I see what it does for the appearance of my koi and I like it.

Bonnie: I've always wondered but didn't want to ask a "stupid" question........
Have you ever be concerned about getting in your pond, with regular use of PP?

Roddy: Heavens NO! My goodness, 60% of the public water supplies in the USA regularly use PP the same general way I do! That is why on occasion in some cities the water comes pink out of the tap, a public service employee "overdid it" a bit! The reason public water supplies are treated with PP is that treatment with chlorine creates too much chloroform, meaning more than 100 ppb chloroform, and PP treatment does the same thing as chlorine without creating any "bad byproducts".

As another REAL story, I was helping a Vietnamese woman who runs a koi hobby firm in California treat the fish for sale with PP by private email, and at the end of the correspondence, she shared a true story how her father saved her life (and the lives of everyone in the village) by having everyone in the village drink a dilute PP solution to kill out the stomach and intestinal infection that was killing the villagers. She said now PP has not only saved her life, but also saved her business.

PP was used for many years as the standard treatment for all kinds of human skin ailments, the only reason other choices were taken is the brown stain from the PP treatment is cosmetically undesirable for the medical treatment. PP IS used in some places to cure skin cancer as the cheapest, fastest thing for that purpose.

So I PREFER to treat my ponds with PP right before getting in them, that way I won't be getting a skin infection from pond bacteria if I scrape my skin while in the pond doing something. I like it light pink to purple when I am in the pond. And, YES, I personally use PP to cure any skin ailments I have, it is better than anything the medical profession would give me for the same purpose.