PDA

View Full Version : Sick fish

koibie
07-17-2004, 09:03 AM
DS got a new koi and he is in Q. He was very lethargic, when I scraped him I was suprised to not see anything. Something was obviously up with him so I thought If I was missing something it was costia. I did one treatment of proform c yesterday, but this morning he is covered in a fine looking fungus, and yesterday his eyes started to look sunken. I thought the proform c should help fungus. I have moved him into a new Q and have started to pp him, Do you think I should move him or try something else less harsh?

Sarge
07-17-2004, 09:11 AM
KB, any chance you can take a pic?

koibie
07-17-2004, 09:19 AM
Sarge,
I have him in PP now, If I lift him out for a pic you wont be able to see the fungus. It was very fine like a film, there was a patch on his head that seemed cottony, stringy.

Edited:
He was at the top so I will post some pics

JgR
07-17-2004, 09:24 AM
It may be sap rather than fungus. Although I think Sap is a fungus.... the Proform C should have helped. Mind it is a 3 stage treatment.... not sure if the PP will help on this. Is the white turning brown? Wat ppm treatment are you giving. What size is the fish and how long has it been in Q.

koibie
07-17-2004, 09:27 AM
Jackie,
It is a white fungus, he is a small fish about 6-7 inches . Today is his third day in q. What causes sunken eyes?
edit to add 3 ppm

JgR
07-17-2004, 09:33 AM
Sunken eyes, bacertial infection. Costia at the last stages...

Seems this fish was sick when DS brought him home. If not than I'd suspect costia as it is the fastest of killers. You need to scrape and scope and not just jump from treatment to treatment. Call where you got him and find out if they are having problems.

koibie
07-17-2004, 09:41 AM
I did scrape and scope jackie, I did not see antything, so I assumed since he was sick, costia is small enough for me to miss, so that is why I opted for proform c yesterday before the fungus. PP has worked for me for fungusy things before so I thought that may be fetter for that than the proform c.

Keiko The Killer Koi
07-17-2004, 09:46 AM
here is a pic of Koibie's fish, battery dying in camera sorry, but perhaps you can see sunken eyes and fine fungus

koiingaround
07-17-2004, 11:44 AM
OH Koibie...

I am really sorry...

How is he doing now??? :o

koibie
07-17-2004, 12:58 PM
Thanks KA
Hes gone to that fishy place in the sky.
I got another scrape of him before he died and I did finally see one costia. I would have thought I would have seen more. Oh well, thank goodness for Q!

koiingaround
07-17-2004, 01:06 PM
Thanks KA
Hes gone to that fishy place in the sky.
I got another scrape of him before he died and I did finally see one costia. I would have thought I would have seen more. Oh well, thank goodness for Q!

I am very sorry http://img64.photobucket.com/albums/v194/crichardson/Smilies/CommunicationSmiles/23_29_104.gif

Was he in the QT alone???

Have you told the person/place you got him what happened???

koibie
07-17-2004, 01:14 PM
Yes he was alone, we only got him 3 days ago. This was an inexpensive fish from a garden store that sells pond stuff and I know better than buy fish there. They dont care. But DS liked his markings so much and thought if he had something we could
fix him. :(

koiingaround
07-17-2004, 01:19 PM
KB...I am glad he was alone!!! And really really glad you QTed him!!! http://img64.photobucket.com/albums/v194/crichardson/Smilies/CommunicationSmiles/23_28_107.gif

He did have good markings!!!

I have not purchased koi from places like that...When I saw Pets Mart in Corpus Christi have a tank full of 4~5" butterfly's labeled as Sarassa Comets!!! :eek: I decided then to get my fish from recommended people ONLY!!! :eek: That was a judgment call!!! LOL!!! :D

Lynn
07-17-2004, 01:38 PM
Koibie, I am so sorry! What a good fight your fought for him tho.

koibie
07-17-2004, 02:16 PM
Thanks,
I am just going to have to not even sneak a peek anymore at these unfoutunate fish. There is always somebody there, so cute, that I will tell myself we can save. NO more! Only up and up fish from now on . :D

koiingaround
07-17-2004, 02:24 PM
Thanks,
I am just going to have to not even sneak a peek anymore at these unfoutunate fish. There is always somebody there, so cute, that I will tell myself we can save. NO more! Only up and up fish from now on . :D

Don't get me wrong!!! Please!!! http://img64.photobucket.com/albums/v194/crichardson/Smilies/CommunicationSmiles/please.gif

I would love to save each and every one of these mistreated koi in these shops!!! I don't allow myself to even go down those isles!!! I don't want to be tempted and them bring something home that could be bringing with it a lot of head~ache's!!! Even with a QT, if you are not careful some of the nasties could be transferred to the pond (((even it the chance of this is 1000 to 1, I don't want to chance it))).

kntry
07-17-2004, 02:54 PM
I'm sorry Koibie. I can only imagine how heartbreaking it is to fight so hard and then have the baby die.

Since Stephen has started this site, I've stopped looking at the fish in those stores also. I used to make special trips to PetsMart every Friday after work to find a "TREASURE"! LOL

Wal Marts fish are always sick. I can't even bear to look at them. I tried talking to them once and they said they don't even try to help them because people always dump stuff in the tanks. :eek:

koiingaround
07-17-2004, 02:57 PM
Wal Marts fish are always sick. I can't even bear to look at them. I tried talking to them once and they said they don't even try to help them because people always dump stuff in the tanks. :eek:

http://img64.photobucket.com/albums/v194/crichardson/Smilies/CommunicationSmiles/23_30_111.gif
And another good reason not to look there!!! Imagine what kinds of nasties they have!!! :eek:

JgR
07-17-2004, 05:08 PM
Sorry that the fish lost its battle. It probably had a few things including the costia. The proform and pp probably knocked most of it off but by that point the fish was just too weak.

I know its hard not to buy fish that look sick or are from non reputable places but unless there is at least a money back warranty for a week - most won't go longer than that on live stok. Here they don't even go that far. Don't buy it. You chance the rest of the fish even with Q. A net a hand a bit of water or filter material....

Lynn
07-17-2004, 05:19 PM
I was at a LFS last week, had to go get some bird food and made the mistake of looking at the goldfish tanks. They used to have wonderful fish, not this time, there was ich starting in the tanks. Then I saw the koi tank, split fins, missing fins, sorry looking but once beautiful. They had the light out on the tank, he was treating them with something. I was so sad. :(

koibie
07-17-2004, 06:53 PM
I know, I wonder why if you are going to make selling fish the thing you do, why dont you make the extra effort to learn how to do it right? They must lose money on the dead fish, The complaining customers must be a hassle. I dont get it.

koiingaround
07-17-2004, 08:35 PM
I know, I wonder why if you are going to make selling fish the thing you do, why dont you make the extra effort to learn how to do it right? They must lose money on the dead fish, The complaining customers must be a hassle. I dont get it.

I was told by a friend (((her dad works at WallyWorld))) that they ONLY carry fish because they want to sell the "fish stuff" :eek:

Karen
07-17-2004, 10:30 PM
Koibie,
I'm sorry you lost him, he really was cute.

I couldn't agree with you more- I had the very same thing happen to me a few weeks ago. It was a nursery, horrible conditions. It didn't look horrible, but there were plenty of telltale clues that these folks were all talk, no brains.
I also thought I could clean them up in Q, but they were just too sick.

I was at Wal Mart the other day, and saw a very pretty platinum ogon. I passed.

I can forgive Wal Mart for selling sick koi for 4.58, but not the nurseries selling sick koi for 48.00.

Karen