PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with extra plants?

gonecadd
07-16-2004, 12:24 PM
Each year I become over run with extra plants. I have in the past bought kiddie pools to store them in for the summer but that kills our grass out in spots. I hate just throwing them out. Is there a decorative way of using these extra plants? Have you ever tried selling plants on ebay?

koiingaround
07-16-2004, 12:34 PM
Have a yard sale for aquatic plants...

A friend of mine made a few hundred dollars last summer doing that!
And you don't have to worry about doing any shipping!!!

gonecadd
07-16-2004, 02:01 PM
I hadn't thought about a plant yard sale. I do have other plants as well. Maybe I could even get rid of a few goldfish.
Thanks KA, on your toes as usual. :)

cindy
07-16-2004, 02:36 PM
I've been shipping out all my extras. Just went to the pond store. He's selling little springs of Hyacinth for $4 a piece. He said he'd trade for food so I'm taking a big bag in to him tonight. Check with yours.

N.F.Fishluver
07-16-2004, 04:29 PM
I also have a friend that placed a free ad in the local paper for his extra pond plants. He also made over $100 and mets lots of other local ponders in the process. Cindy's is also an excellent suggestion!

tranquility
07-16-2004, 07:16 PM
I also sell mine.do quite well at it also.It helps me support my ponding/aquatic plant addiction.also sell all my baby koi.
Lawanna

gander
07-16-2004, 07:19 PM
Lawanna also gives me quite a few of them. I also give a bunch away/

nicco
07-16-2004, 08:51 PM
Hundreds of pounds of plants go into the mulch pile every year here. Selling them is not an option for me as I do not want to get involved with the whole process of inspecting plants for parasites, pests and what not.

I'm sure folks like Bonnie Hale could illusidate on the regulatory implications.

hacnp
07-19-2004, 06:23 AM
:D have you seen the new catagory on this forum for trade or sale.
put out a plant sale sign at street, I love those, were are you located?
:D Rose

CarolinaGirl
07-19-2004, 09:34 AM
I trade plants on GardenWeb every year....Mostly hostas, but others as well. I have doubled my hosta collection to over 250 varieties by trading on GardenWeb. Might be something worth looking in to.

Cindy

gonecadd
07-19-2004, 02:22 PM
I haven't heard of GardenWeb but I will look for it. Thanks.

CarolinaGirl
07-19-2004, 02:31 PM
www.gardenweb.com

They have a pretty active watergardening forum, but it's mostly fluff. There are a handfull of really good people there, but there are also a TON of people who don't know and don't care and offer some really questionable advise. It is also highly moderated. Very easy to get banned (just ask some of the people here :D ).

The thing I DO like the best about it is the plant trading is VERY active. Check it out.

Cindy

Davo
07-19-2004, 08:36 PM
:D :D :D I've been banned :D :D :D (and a nicer guy you will not meet..go figure)

koiingaround
07-19-2004, 08:44 PM
:D :D :D I've been banned :D :D :D (and a nicer guy you will not meet..go figure)

Davo???

You were banned from Garden Web??? :eek: :eek: :eek:

gonecadd
07-19-2004, 08:47 PM
Davo, Banned from where? GardenWeb? If you're such a wonderful fellow why did they ban you? ;)

CarolinaGirl
07-19-2004, 09:05 PM
Spike (the moderator at GW) likes for everyone to play nice. All you have to do is say the wrong thing or say something negative about another member, and he bans you. You gotta play REAL nice there. He is also really funny about allowing links to some sites. Strange, power hungry guy. BUT that being said, I still frequent there because of the Carolina Gardening forum, and the plant exchange forums. I have to bite my tongue sometimes, but if I wanna play with Spikes toys, I gotta play by his rules.

Cindy

Davo
07-19-2004, 11:47 PM
One day I went to post and got sent to Disneyland. Well, obviously it was a mix up so I emailed spike very politely. He said I had been putting a link to my website in my signature file and that I was getting free advertisement for my business that way.

Business???What business?

I emailed him back saying my pondscaper.com site was nothing more than a hobby site and I was not in the ponding business, I was in the roofing business.
I do not even have advertising or get any money from the website at all.

He replied that...
"since my website name ends in '.com' it MUST be a business and there was NO room for discussion"

He would not return any more of my emails from then on!

Huh!!! what???? Are you kidding me? Is that wacky or what! I bet 9 out of 10 websites that end in .com or NOT businesses. I would have gladly removed my address from my sig if he had even mentioned it one time to me. But no warning or anything....just banned!

Interesting guy!

koiingaround
07-19-2004, 11:51 PM
Davo...http://img64.photobucket.com/albums/v194/crichardson/Smilies/15_8_7.gif

He is another Hitler!!!

Don't sweat it!!!

We want you to spend your time here anyway!!!

harleyswife
07-20-2004, 12:45 AM
We just started selling them this year. I also do alot of trading and "Free for Postage" deals over at AWGS. I've met alot of fellow ponders this way. And made some money to boot!

gonecadd
07-20-2004, 11:08 AM
Well Davo that stinks. What a grump that guy is.

gonecadd
07-20-2004, 01:29 PM
harleyswife, Thanks for the tip. I hadn't been to AWGS before but am now registered. Kinda cool. Do you know what an average postage costs? Or how to find out? I wouldn't want to ship fish but plants might be easy enough.

ChrisH
07-20-2004, 02:00 PM
Karen,
Postage depends on the size and weight of the box in addition to how far it has to go and whether you send standard, priority or overnight.
My Texas Dawn came from OK to WA, and Tranquility paid $3.85 for priority mail, it was in a box about 8"x8"x8".
I believe that the USPS website has a chart to help determine costs.

gonecadd
07-20-2004, 02:37 PM
Thanks so much. That doesn't seem so bad. Alot of times the shipping doesn't make things worth having it shipped.

koiingaround
07-20-2004, 02:59 PM
The reason the "yard~sale" is so nice is because you don't have to go to the trouble of shipping and that you also meet people in your area that have ponds...putting an add in the local classified's saying what you are intending to sell really helps!!!

N.F.Fishluver
07-20-2004, 06:20 PM
www.gardenweb.com

They have a pretty active watergardening forum, but it's mostly fluff. There are a handfull of really good people there, but there are also a TON of people who don't know and don't care and offer some really questionable advise. It is also highly moderated. Very easy to get banned (just ask some of the people here :D ).

The thing I DO like the best about it is the plant trading is VERY active. Check it out.

Cindy

I agree with Cindy, lots of fluff but some good folks. With that said I will say that I can only read there as it's for US residents only... :mad:

Davo
07-20-2004, 06:59 PM
I thought that there were non-american versions of Gweb???

CarolinaGirl
07-20-2004, 07:20 PM
There are loads on non-americans on GW! I know that plant trading must be within Canada, but you can still post there. And there are Canadian plant exchanges all the time.

Cindy