PDA

View Full Version : I need TT tower ideas for LARGE ponds

kntry
07-04-2004, 11:08 PM
Does anyone have pics of a "PRETTY" TT for at least 13,000 gallons? I don't want a stack of crates sticking up in the veggie filter!

If not, is there a way to build one that is outside of the pond?

Mommajoan
07-04-2004, 11:59 PM
Sandy, I saw a pic somewhere ...can't remember who posted it..it was a fish shaped chimenia(sp) and it was to neat!!!!! I don't have any idea how much lava rock it would take to fill it though :eek: :eek: :eek: !!!!

wcstory
07-05-2004, 12:09 AM
It's only an idea right now, but I was considering buying one of those plastic rubbermaid sheds and making a EPDM tub in the bottom with a 4" return. That way I could stack a large crate system with little visual pain.

Bill

Thomas T
07-05-2004, 01:26 AM
It's modular in design so just scale the size to your pond needs.

Harveythekoi
07-05-2004, 03:43 AM
http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1188

Koiboy has a remote idea on a larger scale.

Garrett

MCPS Mike
07-05-2004, 07:42 AM
Mine handles 3000 gallons. I don't know if it can be called pretty, but I tried to come up with a design that would fit with my Japanese garden. The top layers contain filter pads (made of buffer pads) and the large pot contains 5 bags of lava rock.

Lee B
07-05-2004, 08:59 AM
I have files of filter ideas that intrigue me, that I can show to others when they need ideas. Mike, I entered yours last night when I "toured" your pond; it fits so nicely. And Thomas - that's a very ingenious, aestically pleasing TT. Is there a catch tray under the black pebbles, liner or what? Does it just drain through a pipe back to the pond?

Mike, this is a commercial TT that could be made from Matala. In your peaceful setting, this may be a bit jarring to the senses. However, if you had a 5-7 level pagoda, something similar could be built inside it with a return to the pond. Your pond does not need "improving" - nor my suggestions on how to do so - but it may interest you if you have not seen it before.

Lee

Lee B
07-05-2004, 09:02 AM
The chiminea TT is this: also very ingenious!

Aqua
07-05-2004, 09:10 AM
That's KA's fishy TT. I like the hidden ones if you can. I just have no where to hide anything without drilling into the garage.

Meagain #1b
07-05-2004, 09:27 AM
Aqua - Wait a minute. You have a GARAGE by your pond? LOL And you're not utilizing that space for filtration? OMG! What is it made out of? Stone/brick?

KNTRY - Not sure if a TT CAN be pretty. :)

koiingaround
07-05-2004, 10:29 AM
TT's don't have to be pretty...they can be remote and hidden by shrubs or flowers or a lattuce sturcture with vines growing over it...and have a little stream running back to the pond... ;)

Aqua
07-05-2004, 10:37 AM
Lisa, you haven't seen pics of my pond yet? It's right up next to the house. It wraps around the deck a bit with a bridge over it to the patio. The garage is behind the patio, the green door. I think the pic on my website is an older one before the bridge was done. If I put it in the garage I have to give up space in there which seems to be at a premium. Plus drilling through a garage doesn't exactly thrill certain spouses. It's just siding so it's reeeaaallly tempting! Honey, we have to redo the siding someday anyway right?

Meagain #1b
07-05-2004, 10:48 AM
Aqua - Truely that would be a dream if you could pull that off! But I know you'll be moving so....

KA - Depends on the situation.

kntry
07-05-2004, 10:57 AM
Thanks!!! Keep the pics and ideas coming. ;)

Lisa, I've seen several here that are really pretty.

I really like Thomas's pottery TT and Charmie's fish.

koiingaround
07-05-2004, 11:03 AM
I guess it does depend on the situation...

But for some reason in this dumb blonde head of mine, when it comes to giving my fish perfect water that TT's help create then I am willing to sacrifice a little bit of not so good looking and have a TT...

Like I said, I really don't think it takes a rocket scientist to make one look better or at the minimum disguise one...