PDA

View Full Version : ~Styrofoam Peanuts for BIO MEDIA ?

spanishleprachaun
04-21-2005, 10:06 AM
hi all-------- Not that I have done it yet.... But I was thinking.... along with all the MATALA matting and BRUSHES_---the addition of a LARGE bag of contained STYROFOAM PEANUTS-- in the bio filter----
worth the effort ?

has any one tried it ?

I wonder how fast they would take to have their surface area clogged to the point of diminishing returns............hmmmmmmmmmmmmm :thinking:

I would think some of the PROS--- are light weight / easily replaceable / super cheap / non toxic / ..................

c

CarolinaGirl
04-21-2005, 10:10 AM
They don't seem to me like they have enough surface area. Plus, they float. They would need to be weighted down to stay submerged.

spanishleprachaun
04-21-2005, 10:20 AM
Yes--- I was curious to get feed back on area. :thinking: If I did use them ,,. they would be CONTAINED in a mesh bag and weighed down underwater with a rock

luke-gr
04-21-2005, 01:14 PM
You could probably set a Volkswagen on top to hold them down :D: :D:

Koin-Onia
04-21-2005, 01:54 PM
Luke didn't you ever see Herbie the love bug.....Volkswagens float:D:
You could probably set a Volkswagen on top to hold them down :D: :D:

luke-gr
04-21-2005, 02:03 PM
LOL! :D: :p: Duh!, why didnt I think of that. :D:

Luke didn't you ever see Herbie the love bug.....Volkswagens float:D:

Blammo
04-21-2005, 02:40 PM
I have a 2 foot wide 14 foot deep and 14 foot long pit full of them for my runout on the flowthrough.
They keep the algae down (no sun) and there is no mulm in the bottom of the pit so something is going on ;)

emmalou
04-21-2005, 03:13 PM
I have a 2 foot wide 14 foot deep and 14 foot long pit full of them for my runout on the flowthrough.
They keep the algae down (no sun) and there is no mulm in the bottom of the pit so something is going on ;)
Doug..what is the breakdown point of styrafoam? Or is it eternal? :thinking:

KOI_IN_DA_Nile
04-21-2005, 03:53 PM
I'm having a blonde moment would you happen to have a pic or diagram on how you set that up thanks :confused ,no offense to any blonds in the room.