PDA

View Full Version : Dainichi Showa

Rich8888ri
08-21-2018, 10:27 PM
I just bought this girl. She was born in 2017 and is 13 inches.. However she was rated at less than half the market value of the other showa in her pond. The guy helping me said its her pattern and size. Her size was a little thin for a female but her length was about the same as the others.
I happen to like the pattern so i happily swooped her up for hundreds less than some of the others. I need some help on figuring out what is wrong with the pattern. I always thought that you look for a kohaku pattern mixed with equal shiro and sumi. She seems to have some separation of color (some mixing of color) . Some of the other showas had a strong muddy mixture of sumi on top of the hi.. I didn't think a blending of color was as good as separation yet they were worth more. Their sumi was stronger though. The only real flaw i see is those sumi spots by her head, that are on top of the shiro..

Thoughts?

audioenvy
08-21-2018, 11:04 PM
At this point, although there are a few pattern issues I think the biggest concern is the body shape--but maybe it's just malnourished.

Ideally the red would not wrap all the way down the face and there would not be any red on the pecs but those are relatively minor issues if the fish happens to fill out.

lukef
08-21-2018, 11:04 PM
No white on the head where it would show. nor enough white on the body. One-sided black.
the biggest issue I would have from its aesthetics would be the red on the left gill plate. Sometimes it is ok for me. On this koi it does what it shouldn't. It makes the left gill slit stand out. As the black comes in that might not be an issue at all....
personally I could learn to enjoy looking at this fish.

Spartan
08-23-2018, 01:22 PM
Was this one from Kodama?
Agree with most of the above. Personally I think the pattern on the body is pretty pleasing and does not strike me as too unbalanced. The head does lack white but if youre not showing is not unattractive.
That said I wonder if this will turn out to be a male.

Rich8888ri
08-23-2018, 10:36 PM
Yes kodama.

lukef
08-23-2018, 10:46 PM
your welcome, glad I could help