PDA

View Full Version : High Protein Question ?

totallyvictorian
07-13-2018, 01:46 PM
How long should you keep koi fry on high protein foods?
I have mine on 50% protein right now, but was wondering at what age/size you take them off
of high protein to a staple food.

Thanks,

Matt24
07-13-2018, 10:56 PM
Not sure what is best, but I usually keep it up until they slow down eating in the cooler water of late fall or when I just get tired of blending up the seafood mix, whichever comes first. It keeps them growing at a good rate through the fall, and I am not aware of any ill effects.

totallyvictorian
07-17-2018, 09:01 AM
Ok...I went ahead and bought a small bag 5.5# of the Dainichi from F & S for the babies. I was using the AquaMax high protein powder and 100 pellets.
I thought about ordering the 300 AquaMax next but it comes out to over $9. a #...so thought why not try the Dainichi. The AquaMax does not say for Koi
but they are growing like crazy on the 50% protein. The bag I ordered is 44%. I remember Russ saying Koi do not need over 38% but I figured since
these are babes I'd give it a try until the Fall. Thanks for the comment Matt. I appreciate it.

ricshaw
07-17-2018, 12:52 PM
I remember Russ saying Koi do not need over 38%

For older Koi, I agree with Russ. I feed 38%+ protein Koi food year around. Just less in the Winter months.