PDA

View Full Version : What is a "Flow Through Filter", Exactly?

Mitch
04-15-2005, 11:37 PM
And what are the pros, and cons?

I am very curious, and could not understand it from reading the posts (unless I missed something, which is very likely...)

Thanks in advance...

Mitch

kntry
04-15-2005, 11:42 PM
Most systems are closed or recirculating, meaning that you recirculate the same water unless you do a water change.

Flow Through ponds have a constant exchange of fresh water either from a well or body of water such as a stream or lake. The water constantly enters and exits the pond so that there is always fresh water in the pond.

Flow Through ponds don't usually have filters.

I'd imagine there are a couple of cons, but I can't think of any unless your source water wouldn't be good.

Pros: Constant new water, no pheremone build up, excellerated growth, no filters to clean, your pond volumn would essentially increase 10+ fold, no green water.

Blamm and Sundan have these systems and would have much more detailed answers.

Mitch
04-15-2005, 11:50 PM
Living in (the great Republic of) CA, we are subject to draughts, and water rationing although it has been quite a while since the last episode (It's frustrating when I (in Norcal) cannot water my lawn, but in Socal (where 80% of our fresh water from the Delta goes) people are shown washing their sidewalks with water). Enough of that...

But man, if I had a great water source (well or otherwise, and a nice garden?), what a great set-up!

Thanks....

Mitch

PS Aren't these the primary design of the Japanese ponds?

kntry
04-15-2005, 11:53 PM
I'm not sure about the primary design of Japan.

That's been my problem. My well is only enough to supply my house. If I dug another well ($2,000+), I still haven't figured out what to do with the outflow. I can't run it into the parish ditches.

Harveythekoi
04-16-2005, 01:55 AM
We are water concious down here also. As a matter of fact my sprinklers haven't been on all winter, never mind that the entire yard is torn up. Of course when I fill the new pond you guys will have to let go of some more of that precious water of yours. :D:

Remember if they can't create a shortage how are they going to charge us more for the water? A shame too, the third rainiest winter in history and there's no place to keep the water. Most just ran into the ocean.

Garrett

ChoobKoiOwner
04-16-2005, 01:24 PM
In Japan it's just like here in America, it really depends on the person.

Blammo
04-17-2005, 06:02 AM
[QUOTE=
Remember if they can't create a shortage how are they going to charge us more for the water? A shame too, the third rainiest winter in history and there's no place to keep the water. Most just ran into the ocean.

Garrett[/QUOTE]
Who runs yer water management district ? Zsa Zsa Gaborez daughter ? :D:

Yer EXACTLY right. Those goofs need to create several reservoirz for you folks. Lotsa rain gone to waste.
We call ours Lake Okeechobee.
Where I grew up we had one called Carvins Cove but with all the yankeez moving to Roanoke over the last 20 years, it's not enuff either.

I love my swamp.... :yes: